What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Buffs Prepped To Host Prestigious Pac-12/Big Ten Challenge (Volleyball)

RSSBot

News Junkie
image_handler.aspx

After starting the season 2-1 at the Portland State Tournament last weekend, Colorado will open its home season with one of the most prestigious non-conference tournaments of the year, the Pac-12/Big Ten Challenge.

Continue reading...

"
BOULDER — After starting the season 2-1 at the Portland State Tournament last weekend, Colorado will open its home season with one of the most prestigious non-conference tournaments of the year, the Pac-12/Big Ten Challenge.

The Buffs will welcome three of the nation's top teams to the Coors Events Center, Saturday, Sept. 3, and Sunday, Sept. 4. No. 13 Penn State (2-1), No. 17 Illinois (2-1) and No. 9 Stanford (1-1) will join CU in the four team tournament although the Buffs will not face the Cardinal until later in the Pac-12 season.

Stanford and Illinois will start the tournament on Sept. 3, taking the court at 3 p.m. MT. The Buffs will host the Nittany Lions in the night cap at 7 p.m., which will be televised live on Pac-12 Networks.

On Sept. 4, Stanford will again play in the first match at 3 p.m., this time facing Penn State. The Buffs will square off against Illinois at 6 p.m. to finish the challenge. Both of those contests will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.

"

For Saturday Night's (7:00 PM MT start) Penn State match-
TV/ Live Video
- Televised on Pac 12's Mountain Channel; also available on-line who's cable/ satellite subscription includes the Pac 12 Networks at http://pac-12.com/live?networks=P12MTN .
Live Stats- No link provided yet

For Sunday evening's (6:00 PM MT start) Illinois match-
TV/ Live Video
- Televised on Pac 12's Mountain Channel; also available on-line who's cable/ satellite subscription includes the Pac 12 Networks at http://pac-12.com/live?networks=P12MTN .
Live Stats- No link provided yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Cubuffs has released another article on the Challenge- http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/9/1/volleyball-pac-12-big-ten-challenge-set-for-sept-3-4.aspx .

Link to article also in this tweet-

Note- For those planning on attending, looks like this may be one of if not the 1st sporting event at CU where the "Clear Bag" policy is in effect.

Note 2- For anyone who just loves great volleyball, the Non-CU matches this weekend should also be great to see at Coors, with (as also noted in the quote in the OP) perennial power Stanford playing against Illinois on Saturday at 3:00 PM MT, and then playing Penn State Sunday at 3:00.

Last edited:
Re Gabby Simpson (part of a good Pat Rooney article mainly describing what a valuable pickup transfer Kiara McKibben has been), per www.buffzone.com/buffzonetopstories/ci_30321320/top-20-foes-deck-cu-buffs-volleyball-pac ,

"

Head coach Jesse Mahoney said Gabby Simpson likely will return to the court this weekend, but what role she plays and how many minutes she might be able to log remain uncertain. Regardless, whether it is this weekend or when Simpson is healthier, McKibben's presence not only adds depth for the Buffs but also will allow Mahoney to periodically move Simpson to outside hitter, where she earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors last year.

"

Last edited:
I haven't been able to get confirmation but it looks like one ticket gets you into both matches each day. These should be pretty darn good volleyball so if you can get out to the CEC this afternoon you should do it.

Wish I could. Sounds like from a Gabby post on Instagram that she will be playing tonight.

Going to be a fun atmosphere! Most people I've seen for a volleyball game in a while. I actually had to stand in line to get in

Just got back from a night out, and see there was a GREAT (hopefully resume-building) 5 set win for the Buffs over Penn State. Although they seem down a little, PSU is still a great team to beat. Congrats to the team and coaches!

Stats at http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wvball/ . (Buffs dominated in set 5 15-3 after winning sets 2 and 3.)

Edit- per someone in Volleytalk, the Buffs have beaten PSU before- back in 1989, and that was also in 5 sets, with the 5th set score also being 15-3.

Other than 3 or 4 points in the first set and most of the 4th set, the Buffs looked like the better team. Much better behind the block than last week. Gabby is a stud! She looks like an all league setter in her back row rotations and is very strong hitting and blocking in the front.

I hope we can really get this rolling and establish some tradition around the program. Even just having the 30 or so students there makes a huge difference over the usual 5-6. Whoever that is dancing around with the giant Edelman head is worth the price of admission alone!!

I got home from the match a little bit ago, good crowd and was a lot of fun. There were moments when you could tell they had a new coach and some new players, but otherwise they played well.

Also, the new floor looks great and the sound system is so much better.

I was not happy with the coaching change last year. However, I now am thinking Rick George knew what he was doing.

I was impressed with last night's performance. This team is better than last year's team. I loved when the announcers said in about Set 3 that CU is much better than 7th in the Pac 12. I love Gabby. Jesse was smart in not taking her to Portland. I haven't seen exactly what her injury was, but he saved her for this weekend. This was a team win!

Beat Illinois.

I was not happy with the coaching change last year. However, I now am thinking Rick George knew what he was doing.

I was impressed with last night's performance. This team is better than last year's team. I loved when the announcers said in about Set 3 that CU is much better than 7th in the Pac 12. I love Gabby. Jesse was smart in not taking her to Portland. I haven't seen exactly what her injury was, but he saved her for this weekend. This was a team win!

Beat Illinois.

Last year's talent should have resulted in not only making the NCAA Tournament but advancing a bit. We saw that in the big wins. We also so the poor coaching and program management as it manifested in another season with inexplicable losses.

Even with expected growing pains and some struggles with a new coach and systems, it has looked better. We're starting to see consistency this program had lacked.

Buffs win 19-17 in 5th! They won on the 6th set point on a hitting error by Illinois.

Back