What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Jones Captures NCAA Crown and Leads CU Women to Team Championship

RSSBot

News Junkie
image_handler.aspx

"
MADISON, Wis. — The University of Colorado women's cross country team won the 2018 NCAA Championship on Saturday morning as senior Dani Jones captured the individual title at Thomas Zimmer Championship Course. CU's men also returned to the podium with a fourth-place finish.

This is the third title the women's team has won; all coming since 2000. Just like in 2000, the women took home the team and individual titles as Kara Grgas-Wheeler (now Goucher) won that race. CU also won the team title in 2004.

"This is incredible," Jones said in her post-race interview. "We were just talking about the 2000 team that won the individual and team title 18 years ago. We did it again and it's unbelievable."

The conditions were definitely tougher than in recent years at the championships with temps in the upper 20s and low 30s and 5-10 miles per hour from the North. But the Buffs used that to their advantage, defeating the New Mexico handily 65-103. Oregon placed third (160) and Michigan was fourth (213).

"All season we wanted the hardest conditions," Jones said. "We wanted the winds and everything. We woke up and were all happy this morning."

"I'm very pleased with her race," head coach Mark Wetmore said. "She did everything she planned to do. She was calm and responded when she needed to. I felt that if she was near it with 500 to go that she could win the race. I told her that. Heather (Burroughs) told her that. She told her that."

Not too far behind Jones was fellow senior Makena Morley, who finished eighth in 20:00:01. She ran a solid race behind the leaders.

"I just stayed back a little bit," Morley said. "I fell at 1k and got stepped on. I was just watching Dani and I kicked at the end because I saw my teammate win it. I never kick and I kicked. I didn't really know where I was."

After Morley was junior Tabor Scholl, who placed 15th overall (20:09.9). Another pair of teammates was just a short distance from her with Sage Hurta and Tayler Tuttle finishing 22nd and 24th, respectively. That was all the Buffs needed, but they got more than they asked for as senior Val Constien finished 30th overall as their sixth runner. All six of those runners recorded their best finish at NCAAs, while freshman Holly Bent was 80th overall in her first NCAA race.

"I'm as happy as I could be," Wetmore said. "We had seven good races. Every one of the women is going home feeling well about themselves. They were in it the whole way. They were aggressive and confident the whole way. They have every reason to be really proud."

After heading into NCAAs ranked No. 1 the last two years and recording a pair of third-place finishes, this team knew what they had to do for each other to finally do what they had been trying to for the last few seasons.

"We just all love each other so much," Morley said. "With the strength we have and the bond we have, we were going to go out there and do it for each other. I was dying, but I was like, 'I'm not giving up now!'"

Despite the windy, cold condition, Wetmore doesn't think the weather affected the races that much.

"It was cold, it was a little wind and a little slippery, but if you notice, our women ran faster here than they did five/six weeks ago in good weather," he said. "I don't think it was a particularly slow day, just a little uncomfortable."

image_handler.aspx
Not to be outdone, the men finished higher than on the form chart, capturing a fourth-place finish. CU recorded 178 points and bested Pac-12 Conference Champion, Stanford, by 23 points (178-201). Northern Arizona won its third straight title with 83 points, while BYU (116) and Portland (160) finished second and third, respectively.

The Buffs, who were ranked eighth heading into the meet, had a strong showing with three in the top 11. Joe Klecker led the Buffs with an eighth-place finish, clocking in at 29:15.0. Right behind him in ninth was teammate John Dressel, who recorded a time of 29:16.9. Ryan Forsyth just missed a top-10 finish, clocking in with a time of 29:21.0 for 11th. All three recorded the highest NCAA finishes of their careers.

Eduardo Herrera was the fourth Buff to finish at 43rd (30:02.0). CU's final scorer was Ethan Gonzales, who came in 147th overall (31:02.4). Sixth for the Buffs was Paxton Smith, who recorded a time of 31:12.3 for 163rd, while Gus Newcomb was 222nd overall (32:08.8).

"We came in (ranked) eighth. I felt deep in my heart that if we ran well, we could be on the podium," Wetmore said. "The front three guys exceeded my aspirations completely. I was hoping for one guy in the top 10 and we almost had three. Lalo was a little beat up and held on for us. We ended up fourth and I thought we could."

NOTES: In total, Colorado has won eight NCAA team titles, three on the women's side and five on the men's side.

Jones joined an elite group of Buffs to win NCAA cross country titles with the win. The last Buff to do so was Dathan Ritzenhein in 2003 and the year prior, Jorge Torres won the crown. Adam Goucher was the NCAA Champion in 1998 and the first Colorado runner to win an NCAA individual title was Mark Scrutton in 1982. Mary Decker (now Slaney) won the AIAW championship title in 1978. Kara Grgas-Wheeler was the first female Buff to win an NCAA title in 2000.

This was the first All-American honor for Ryan Foryth, Makena Morley, Tabor Scholl, Tayler Tuttle and Val Constien…It is the second honor for Joe Klecker and is the third award for John Dressel, Sage Hurta and Dani Jones.

CU was the top Pac-12 program in each race and had the best combined finish (5). Stanford was second (10); its women and men both finished fifth.
"
Continue reading...

Full women's results - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/17//women_results.pdf

Full men's results - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/17//men_results.pdf

Highlight of the end of Dani Jones' race and a part of the women's team interview -

Aztecbuff note - There is also a Race thread I set up for these championships (https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/ra...mpionships-sat-11-17-9-45-am-mt.136059/page-2), but thought the Championship and podium finishes and resulting celebrations deserved this dedicated thread. Note that from page 2 on in that thread is additional post-race content (highlight and many interviews, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
General articles by letsrun.com have been released on the women's and men's races, with interview videos (most of the same one's I put in the "races thread") embedded in them.

Wetmore’s unparalleled success is difficult to fully appreciate, as XC and track are so under reported and covered. He has built a true dynasty of greatness and a home, spring of future Olympians.

I wish I could read about the process and planning of the team more regularly and in more depth, and I wish the team and coach were given the gratitude they truly deserve for what they achieve and for their unheralded hard work.

The fact that the firing of MM is covered so extensively while the XC Nationals race was not even televised is galling and a strange, unfortunate indictment of mistaken priorities, as far as I’m concerned.

Congrats to the XC teams and coaches! I’m sure, for them, all the people who really matter are ecstatic and exuberant in support.

Go Buffs!!!

I am a sucker for post-championship interviews, and found some more in case anyone's interested. Note- Although a lot of these people being interviewed are the same as interviews I posted in the Races thread, I think (???) maybe only the Dani Jones interviews are the same as those I posted earlier.

(Assume it's probably just some setting / ad block on my Windows 10 laptop that I can't figure out, but wanted to mention I could only watch these on my (Android) phone.)

From Flotrack -
Interview with the whole women's team (although its Dani Jones and Makena Morley answering the questions) - https://www.flotrack.org/events/618...s/videos?sort=recent&limit=12&playing=6271512
Dani Jones (the only one I could find on Youtube.)-

Joe Klecker - https://www.flotrack.org/events/618...s/videos?sort=recent&limit=12&playing=6271278
Jenny Simpson - https://www.flotrack.org/events/618...s/videos?sort=recent&limit=27&playing=6271217
Coach Wetmore - https://www.flotrack.org/events/618...s/videos?sort=recent&limit=42&playing=6271211

From Dyestat/ Runnerspace -
Coach Wetmore (again) - http://www.dyestat.com/gprofile.php...nt_id=509&year=2018&do=videos&video_id=255730
Makena Morley - http://www.dyestat.com/gprofile.php...nt_id=509&year=2018&do=videos&video_id=255716

In looking at the photos of the race, looks like Dani got spiked in the shin during the race, as there was a trickle of blood down her left shin into her shoe. Of course, you see it as she is sprinting away for the title.

Tough enough!

In looking at the photos of the race, looks like Dani got spiked in the shin during the race, as there was a trickle of blood down her left shin into her shoe. Of course, you see it as she is sprinting away for the title.

Tough enough!

If you haven't already, you can go near the end (6:20 mark or so) of the Youtube interview with her in my last post (#6), and there's a short cool/ fun exchange regarding that.

Her response: “I hope it becomes a scar. I want to have it as part of the memory.” Dang.

Congrats on being named a finalist and best wishes for Ms. Jones possibly becoming the Honda Award women's XC winner!

(Assume Ms. Jones probably doesn't care too much one way or the other, but be interesting as a fan to see how this one turns out. The USATF award she won last week is I believe ALWAYS automatically handed out to the NCAA Championship winner. Don't know if the Honda is the same or not. Assume Ms. Jones would have to be one of two major contenders for the Honda, with I assume New Mexico's Weini Kilati, who I believe won almost (one other 2nd place) EVERY race she was in rather easily until Ms. Jones won the BIG ONE, her heavy competition.)

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/26...st-for-the-honda-award-for-cross-country.aspx

"
BOULDER —Over a week has passed since University of Colorado senior Dani Jones won the 2018 NCAA individual cross country championships, and honors are still coming in as she was just named a finalist for the Honda Award for Cross Country.

The Honda Sport Award has been presented annually by THE Collegiate Women Sports Awards (CWSA) for the past 43 years to the top women athletes in 12 NCAA-sanctioned sports and signifies "the best of the best in collegiate athletics". The winner of the sport award becomes a finalist for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year and the prestigious 2019 Honda Cup which will be presented on a live telecast on CBS Sports Network on Monday, June 24, 2019, in downtown Los, Angeles.

The nominees were chosen from the top four finishes at the 2018 NCAA Cross Country Championship. The Honda Sport award winner for cross country will be announced this week after voting by administrators from over 1,000 NCAA member schools. Each NCAA member institution has a vote.

There are three other finalists for the award are Jessica Hull (Oregon), Kelati and Alicia Monson (Wisconsin).
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full release from the awarding organization - https://www.collegiatewomensportsawards.com/releases/2018-19/20181126xcfinals

Especially for those who are runners/ joggers, are running fans themselves, OR have family who are either, OR are just good/ big Buff sport fans - looks like there's a great opportunity for autographs (and to congratulate the champion women and podium men) at this Saturday's men's basketball game!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, congrats to the team for kicking it in the classroom as hard as they do in the last 1/2 Km or so of their races!

"
SAN FRANCISCO — The University of Colorado cross country teams placed 15 individuals on the 2018 Pac-12 All-Academic Teams, as announced by the league's office on Wednesday.

The women placed a total of 10 athletes on the team with a pair earning first team honorees, one second team selection and seven on the honorable mention squad. The men had five recorded honorable mention status.

Juniors Sage Hurta and Brianna Schwartz were each honored on the first team for the second straight year. Hurta, a chemical and biological engineering major, owns a 3.96 GPA, while Schwartz, a journalism and strategic communication major, has a 3.95 GPA.

Making her third appearance on the all-academic team was senior Mackenzie Caldwell, who was selected to the second team for the second straight season. She was also named to the first team in 2016. Caldwell has maintained a 3.86 GPA while majoring in accounting.

Senior Dani Jones and junior Karina Mann earned their third straight honorable mention selection, while senior Makena Morley and junior Tabor Scholl recorded their second nod on the team. Redshirt freshmen Holly Bent and Baylee Jones, along with junior Lindsey Koch, earned the honor for the first time.

On the men's side, three Buffs recorded honorable mention honors for the third time: seniors Ethan Gonzales and Justice Ramos, as well as junior Joe Klecker. Senior Ryan Forsyth and sophomore Paxton Smith earned their second honor on the team.

To be eligible for selection to the academic team, a student-athlete must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade-point average, at least one year in residence at their institution, and participate in a minimum threshold of competitions.
"

Congrats to these kids!!! I and these athletes have a lot in common...except the youth, athleticism and hope for the future....okay...we have nothing in common....:D

Just wanted to mention, for any cross country fans, probably THE annual high school race, the NXN (Nike Nationals) are just about ready to start (girls start at 11:05 AM MT, boys at 12:35 PM MT) in Portland, and there's a free video stream available at https://cdn.runnerspace.com/nxnlive.html .

If you want to root for a Buff, incoming 2019 Buff Emily Covert is one of those talked about possibly earning a podium finish on the girls' side. (There's a dominant young woman, junior Katelyn Tuohy from New York, who holds MANY junior distance records on the track, and is considered the prohibitive favorite for the win). No incoming Buff young men in their race, but I believe a couple of the favorites are juniors from Colorado.

Congrats to Ms. Covert, who finishes a VERY SOLID 4th at NXN. (Assume she's a little bummed at just missing the podium (by ~3 seconds), but still a great race. Not that times matter much in cross country, but in a relatively non-muddy year, Ms. Tuohy broke her own NXN individual record from last year.) Ms. Covert has also qualified to be in next week's more traditional "big" race (Footlocker Nationals in San Diego, which started back in 1979).

Didn't mention in my prior post, but one of the big things about NXN is that there's a STRONG team emphasis to this race (as opposed to Footlocker only having individual crowns). Of local interest, congrats to Niwot for finishing 5th as a team at NXN, very impressive when facing off against THE top high school teams from throughout the country.

Last edited:
Congrats to Dani Jones!

"
BOULDER — University of Colorado senior Dani Jones was named the Honda Sport Award winner for Cross Country, as announced today by Chris Voelz, Executive Directore of THE Collegiate Women Sports Awards (CWSA).

The Honda Sport Award has been presented annually by the CWSA for the past 43 years to the top women athletes in 12 NCAA- sanctioned sports and signifies "the best of the best in collegiate athletics". With this honor, Jones becomes the first finalist of the year for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year and the prestigious 2018 Honda Cup which will be presented on a live telecast on CBS Sports Network on June 24, 2019, in downtown Los Angeles.

Jones was chosen by a vote of administrators from over 1,000 NCAA member schools. Finalists Jessica Hull (Oregon), Weini Kalati (New Mexico) and Alicia Monson (Wisconsin).

"It is a huge honor to be recognized as the cross country Honda Award winner, "said Jones. "I am honored to be the third Buff after Kara Goucher and Jenny Simpson to receive this award, two incredible athletes I have always looked up to. I could not have accomplished what I did this season without the support of everyone at CU."

Jones, a senior from Phoenix, Ariz., was the 2018 NCAA Cross Country Individual Champion and led her team to the national title for the first time in 14 years. Out-kicking the runner-up down the stretch to cross the line just 2.5 seconds ahead, she became just the second female in school history to win an individual NCAA Cross Country Championship. In addition to the national title, she is also the back-to-back Pac-12 Individual Champion and led CU in every race this season.

Named the 2018 United States Track & Field/Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) Female Athlete of the Year, she is also a three-time USTFCCCA All-American and the two-time Pac-12 Cross Country Athlete of the Year. Her conference honors also include three-time All-Pac-12 first-team accolades and was three times named Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention.

"Unlike in other sports, we have a national championship where everyone faces each other," Colorado head coach Mark Wetmore explained. "So one would normally think that the national champion would be considered the top athlete in the sport. But that's not guaranteed; there were three other candidates, all of whom were highly qualified. One had only lost one race all season. So, we are pleased that voters felt Dani was the most accomplished among the 15,000 women who do cross country and the four who were finalists."
"

Wetmore is so awesome. Love his quote.

Dani Jones just won the Heisman of female runners. Move over Laviska. Make room for CU’s most highly recognized athlete.

That video style is similar to what Jamie Guy might have done. Powerful. Worth the watch

Back