What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Lacrosse Announces 2017 Fall Schedule (And general off-season lax news)

RSSBot

News Junkie
image_handler.aspx

In preparation for the 2018 season, the Colorado women's lacrosse team will open up its fall schedule on October 7.

Colorado will announce its 2017 regular season schedule later this fall. This spring the Buffs will welcome several top teams to Boulder during the regular season before hosting the inaugural Pac-12 Lacrosse Tournament at the end of April.

2017 FALL SCHEDULE
DateOpponent/EventLocationTime (MT)
Oct. 7AlumniBOULDER9 a.m.
Oct. 14Black & Gold ScrimmageBOULDER9 a.m.
Oct. 21DenverDenver3:30 p.m.
Oct. 28Play DayEvanston, Ill.All Day
Oct. 29Play DayEvanston, Ill.All Day
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Home games in BOLD CAPS
*Dates and times subject to change

Play Day Schedule
DateOpponentTime (CT)
Oct. 28Northwestern10 a.m.
Marquette1:30 p.m.
Oct. 29Northwestern10 a.m.
Notre Dame11:45 a.m.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the team starting its off-season practice, training, and off-season games (as listed in the op), thought we could use this thread to cover any news that comes up related to lacrosse up til near the season start next February.

Obviously early yet, but a few things I've seen and items of note I can think of -
  • Its been noted I believe in earlier threads, but this will be the 1st season the Pac 12 will have its own conference for women's lacrosse. Interesting to see how the league works and looks. (For those who don't follow, ASU is adding D1 women's lacrosse this year, which gave the conference the needed 6 teams to form its own league.)
  • I already listed this link in the recruiting thread, but an important incoming class of ten freshmen were announced a few weeks ago (http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/8/25/lacrosse-buffs-add-eight-to-2018-roster.aspx). With the great 1st class now graduated, there will be many roster spots to fill. Although there are still some great players returning (including 3 of the 4 Buffs named 1st Team All-conference players and 2 of 3 All-Americans last season), I'm sure Coach Elliot, as she has shown in prior years, won't be shy to playing freshmen just because they're freshmen.
  • Almost all of these are beyond my VERY limited knowledge of lacrosse rules, but here is a link to rule changes this season- http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017WLAX_Rules_Changes_FINAL_20170720.pdf . In general, it seems (maybe partly because it's such a growing sport?), there have been some significant rules changes lately (for example instituting a shot clock last season), and it looks like that trend continues this season. (From the laxpower.com forum I occasionally visit, seems like the allowing of "free movement" of defensive and offensive players after fouls seemed to bring the most comment (mostly positive) from this upcoming season's changes, so may be the most significant.?.)

(Very general) early preview of the upcoming inaugural Pac 12 lacrosse season.

One thing I hadn't contemplated - with the conference starting at only 6 teams, sounds*** like the Pac teams will be playing home and away games against each other. Assume that will help create and build strong rivalries very quickly (especially in a game that (like hockey) involves all the players carrying sticks to hit each other with!).
(***In the Colorado section of the preview, there's a sentence "“I’m just really excited about the opportunity we have to build those rivalries. Playing them home and away is such a great thing and we’ve seen it in other sports here. It’s a great environment for our fans,” says Elliot.".)

Short article summarizing the now-completed fall training/ scrimmage period-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...ok-forward-to-regular-season-this-spring.aspx

Not a lot of details. A couple things of interest to me-
1) Be interesting to see who takes over for 4 year starter Soenksen at goalie. Nice the team has returning players, including a red-shirt senior and red-shirt sophomore , who I assume have both have logged LOTS of practice time as Buffs already, so will hopefully be able to ably man that VERY important position.
From the article-
"Among the biggest departures in CU's first graduating class is All-American and four-year starter in goal, Paige Soenksen. Colorado returns a pair of goalkeepers who will vie for the starting job in senior Sophia Gambitsky and sophomore Julia Lisella. "At the goaltender position in particular, we have two very talented players who can get the job done. They're very different in what they bring to this team and we're excited to keep watching them and see where we're at [in February]." Elliott said of the two goalkeepers, acknowledging that she likely won't name a starter until the first game. "We're trying not to rush anything. We want to give everybody the opportunity to come into their own and see who steps up.""

2) After losing its huge and inpactful inaugural class of 14 seniors after last year, I'd assume there will be a great opportunity for some freshmen to come in and have the (beloved sports phrase) "immediate impact". From the article- "Two freshmen in particular have stood out through the fall. "I think our freshman class as a whole is really coming along and challenging themselves. Devon (Bayer) has really done a great job of learning and growing as a defender and in the midfield this fall. Sadie (Grozier) is another one that I think really stepped up during the Northwestern games and did a great job for us. I think we have a lot of players that have the potential to step up, so we're excited to see how the next couple of months go for us and see where we're at in February."

Note- doesn't look like this season's schedule has been posted yet (http://www.cubuffs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=438), but based on the last couple seasons (when the 1st matches were both on Feb. 12th), look like the opening face-off may now less than 2 months away for the lax Buffs!

Excited for WLAX.

Getting back to the NCAA tourney this year would cement the Buffs as one of the top programs in the west.

Back