What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CUBuffs.com: Volleyball Starts Season On Road At Portland State Tournament

RSSBot

News Junkie
image_handler.aspx

Continue reading...

"
BOULDER — The 2016 Colorado volleyball season official starts on Friday, August 26, as the Buffs travel to Portland, Oregon to play at the Portland State Tournament.

Colorado will face three teams in the first weekend of action, Aug. 26-27, starting on Friday against former Big 12 rival Texas Tech at 7:30 p.m. MT. On Saturday, the Buffs face off against the host, PSU, at 10:30 a.m., before taking on Long Beach State at 7 p.m.

Live stats for all three matches can be found at GoViks.com, while the match against PSU will be streamed for free.
"

Links to Live Stats and, for the Portland State match, live streaming, should be available at http://goviks.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball come match-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of wishes Buffs. Hope they start the season off STRONG!

(Note- As I already mentioned in a soccer thread, it's shaping up as a potentially hectic weekend for me, so don't know how much I'll be able to update this or any other match threads this weekend.)

predictions for the Portland State Invite? Based only on votes in the popularity poll, I'm assuming Long Beach State is the favorite to win this. any commentary from those who follow NCAA VB closer than I do?

Based on Pablo rankings, CU (36) should beat Texas Tech (106) and Portland State (191). The match between CU and Long Beach State (34) would be a tight match going LBSU's way. But the initial early season Pablo rankings are based on last seasons results and get more accurate as the first few weeks of the new seasons results are factored in. So, since this years CU team is without its 2 top players from last season (Edelman and Austin) and with new coaches and systems, I don't expect CU to start where they left off last season. LBSU is also not the same. So I still expect the CU vs LBSU match to be close but I would lean towards an LBSU win, especially if Gabby Simpson is out, as Coach Mahoney indicated is possible.

I am expecting CU to finish this weekend with a 2-1 record. But I would be delighted and not totally surprised if they ended up 3-0. Anything worse than 2-1 would be a major disappointment and tells me they got a lot of work to do.

From what Jesse said and without looking at the Pablo rankings, I am hoping for 2-1 at this tourney. Just happy there is one live stream so I can see how they are doing.

Well, that changes the picture .... Portland State just beat LBSU 3-1 in the opening match.

Note- from the picture in the 1st tweet, no Gabby Simpson showing. Although the shot doesn't show the whole team, so it's not proof she's NOT playing, there is no positive reinforcement from it that she IS playing either.

Match has evidently started but the live stats haven't.

Note- good 1st match for host Portland State, as they upset Long Beach State in the 1st match of the tournament 3 sets to 1.

Stats (at http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=137426&a=1 ) now working. Buffs down 11-13 in the 1st set. Does look like it's senior Kiara McKibben who's setting for the Buffs. Lineup looks like-
OH (Outside leftside) hitters- A. Smith and S. Shadley (both playing 6 rotations?)
MB (Middle Blockers)- Abu and Cuff
RS Right side hitter)- Hayes
S (Setter)- McKibben
L (Libero)- C. Simpson

Buffs lose the 1st set 20-25, allowing a gaudy .464 kill % for Tech. (As reference, the defending champ Fuskers averaged .274 offensively last season.) Hopefully the Buffs can shore up the defense the rest of the match. (They did hit a very respectable .321 themselves, led by Alexa Smith hitting .667 with 5 kills already.)

Buffs lose the 3rd 24-26. They make a good comeback from 13-17 to take a 23-20 lead, but then give up 3 in a row (2 in a row on Tech blocks) to create another comeback opportunity/ need in set 4.

Buffs come on strong late in set 4 (They were only up 16-14) to take it 25-18. Going to the short (1st team to 15) 5th set.

I've got to take off, so probably won't be able to update until after the match has been over for awhile.

Out and about, but checking live stats, looks like the Buffs lost a TIGHT 1st set 26-28. They are up 20-15 in the 2nd.

Buffs dominated that 2nd set. Were up 20-10, had a bad sequence to take it to 20-15, called a timeout to regroup, and finished them off.

Need to keep the momentum and bury them in this 3rd set.

CU's block was dominant in that last set. Seemed to figure out the Portland State attack.

Heading to set 5. 19-25 in the 4th. Buffs did about nothing well that set.

****ing lost.

14-16 in the 5th set.

Should not have lost this match.

Joined in the 4th and 5th sets. They should have closed out the 5th set. 5th set was close from first point. Neither team got much separation.

Back