What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Athletic Department Finances

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Some takeaways from the Denver Post article on CU finances, along with info from other sources:

1. Rick George has done an excellent job of financially managing the Athletic Department by continuing to run the AD in the black. AD revenue has grown from $58.9M in 2014 (losing $2.7M) to $86.5M in 2017 (break even with a negligible profit shown).

2. CU's student fee to support athletics is $28.50 per semester. LINK Graduate students do not pay this fee. Undergrad enrollment is 27,665 students. That's $1.58M in student fees toward athletics.

3. CU has very little revenue from sponsorships. While it sells advertising and certain sponsorships, it has not entered the stadium naming rights game yet. Rick George has said in numerous interviews that this is something he is pursuing. These deals generally go for between $1.5M and $4.5M per year for a P5 athletic department. Obviously, this would be a significant revenue stream.

4. Beer sales numbers are hidden within the numbers for catering services. But I found something from UW's student newspaper that reported $60-70k per football game in beer revenue as a bump. Considering that plus basketball games and other sports where CU sells beer (volleyball, soccer, etc.), I think we can figure that this has added somewhere between $500k and $1M in new revenue -- while making fans a lot happier with the game day experience.

5. The CU AD paying out-of-state tuition rates for student-athletes seems to be a competitive disadvantage for CU as compared to other schools.

(As I posted on 247sports)
Doing the math on $10.87M:

CU's in-state tuition rate is $30k per year.

CU's out-of-state tuition rate is $54k per year.

Scholarship limits per CU varsity sport for 2017-18:

Men's BB = 13
Men's XC/TF = 12.6
Men's FB = 85
Men's Golf = 4.5
Men's Ski = 6.3
Women's BB = 15
Women's XC/TF = 18
Women's Golf = 6
Women's LAX = 12
Women's Ski = 7
Women's Tennis = 8
Women's VB = 12
TOTAL CU = 179.4

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

$10.87M / 179.4 = $60,590

Factoring in any lab fees, medical retirements and graduate assistants is probably why that number is over $54k.

But obviously CU's AD is paying the out-of-state rate for every scholar-athlete. If our peers are paying a lower rate (in-state rate, for example), that puts CU at a serious disadvantage. At a similar overage % to in-state rate as the above math showed we'd factor $35k per athlete for 179.4 athletes. With that, the cost to the AD would be $6.28M to fund athletic scholarships. We're talking about $4.5M in additional AD budget if CU made this change.

To compare some of this stuff to a Pac-12 peer, we can look at Arizona State.

-- Student fee is $75 per semester with an enrollment of 59k undergrads and 13k postgrads. ASU charges everyone the athletics fee. This brings in about $10.5M a year. That's $9M more than CU gets from the same type of fee. If CU did the same rate as ASU and included postgrads, with its lower total enrollment of 33,246 CU would earn $5.0M per year -- an additional $3.5M from its current number.

-- ASU's total AD revenue was $94.6M in 2016 and was expected to be over $100M for 2017. That's an additional $15M for their budget. Some of that difference is also due to ASU getting $4.225M per year from Adidas in cash & apparel compared to CU getting $3M per year from Nike.

-- Another factor at work here on finances for ASU is that they have tuition costs of $27.5k for in-state and $44k for out-of-state. That's a pretty significant savings when they reimburse the university for its scholarships. However, they do "full cost of attendance" reimbursement and have a lot more sports/athletes, so their 2016 expense here was $14M. With that, though, ASU offers Men's varsity Baseball, Tennis, Ice Hockey and Wrestling which CU doesn't (they don't have Skiing, which we do). On the Women's varsity side, ASU offers Beach Volleyball, Gymnastics, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Triathlon and Water Polo which CU doesn't (again, they don't have Skiing, which we do). This is the big difference allowed by the additional revenue. That's 8 varsity sports more than CU offers.

-- Even with 8 more sports than CU and the associated facilities maintenance costs, coaches, scholarships, etc., ASU was able to return a $5.5M surplus in 2016.

Last edited:
Something I failed to mention - and it was a huge oversight - is that much of this growth is driven by football success.

Student ticket sales are way up.

Attendance is way up (dipped under a 40k average in 2015 and is now around 47k).

Season ticket sales are way up with almost a 100% renewal rate.

Football is the single biggest factor in creating a financially healthy athletic department. Rick George zeroed in on this, focused his efforts here, and it has massively paid off.

With that said, I can't stress enough how important the 2018 football season is to setting up CU athletics for long-term financial health. It's a lead-in to the 2019 season with an incredibly attractive slate of games that should drive season tickets and attendance to a new level if there is momentum from 2018 wins.

2019 home schedule:

Aug 31 - CSU in Denver
Sep 07 - Nebraska
Sep 14 - Air Force
4 Pac-12 home games: USC and Arizona plus 2 teams from the Pac-12 North

That's incredibly fan friendly. 2018 needs to be a success to set the table for that.

According to the RAPID report, scholarship costs vary by student situation including resident vs non-resident and international tuition, on campus vs off campus living, and major (engineering and business are higher than A&S). So according to the report, the AD pays based on the students status.
CU lists room and board at $14k per year, books/supplies at $1800 per year and A&S tuition as $12k in-state, $36k out-of-state, and $38k international. The RAPID report also lumps in travel and support services into its scholarship costs. Lumping together tuition, room and board I get $28000 spent on travel, equipment, and student athlete support services using the pie chart percentages for in- state and international students (the middle chart in the report has % numbers that don't add up). So in conclusion, I believe the AD is playing tuition at the correct rate based on residency status but it isn't 100% clear on what other items they use in calculating scholarship costs.

Paying out of state tuition for scholarship players jumps out at me, particularly for the revenue generating sports.

Really sticking it to the AD, CU?

How long have we been doing this?

I have no idea of knowing this for sure, but this sounds like something an anti-athletics President like Judith Albino would have pursued.

Lol what’s the point of the administration doing that? It’s like a financial advisor charging a fee on his and his wife’s investments accounts.

According to the RAPID report, scholarship costs vary by student situation including resident vs non-resident and international tuition, on campus vs off campus living, and major (engineering and business are higher than A&S). So according to the report, the AD pays based on the students status.
CU lists room and board at $14k per year, books/supplies at $1800 per year and A&S tuition as $12k in-state, $36k out-of-state, and $38k international. The RAPID report also lumps in travel and support services into its scholarship costs. Lumping together tuition, room and board I get $28000 spent on travel, equipment, and student athlete support services using the pie chart percentages for in- state and international students (the middle chart in the report has % numbers that don't add up). So in conclusion, I believe the AD is playing tuition at the correct rate based on residency status but it isn't 100% clear on what other items they use in calculating scholarship costs.
So probably a “full cost” number rather than the out-of-state rate. Which isn’t unusual, but god only knows what is buried in that number to get it to $60k per athlete.

So probably a “full cost” number rather than the out-of-state rate. Which isn’t unusual, but god only knows what is buried in that number to get it to $60k per athlete.
That'd be an interesting research project. Send the AD a FOIA request and see what you could dig up.

So, nik, how are you going to pay players again?
It's amazing how the revenue goes up by $26.5M versus a budget that lost $2.7M, didn't add any sports/ big expenses, got past some significant coach buyouts... but they still managed to report a break-even instead of a profit. College athletic department finances are interesting. :whistle:

It's amazing how the revenue goes up by $26.5M versus a budget that lost $2.7M, didn't add any sports/ big expenses, got past some significant coach buyouts... but they still managed to report a break-even instead of a profit. College athletic department finances are interesting. :whistle:
Some of that is income from the champions center and the associated debt service on it. Rest is probably increases in recruiting budgets, larger salaries and bigger support staff.

Is their stipend included in the scholarship cost?

Im assuming there is a bond cost center for the Champions Center and Indoor Practice Facility projects?

Last edited:
Something I failed to mention - and it was a huge oversight - is that much of this growth is driven by football success.

Student ticket sales are way up.

Attendance is way up (dipped under a 40k average in 2015 and is now around 47k).

Season ticket sales are way up with almost a 100% renewal rate.

Football is the single biggest factor in creating a financially healthy athletic department. Rick George zeroed in on this, focused his efforts here, and it has massively paid off.

With that said, I can't stress enough how important the 2018 football season is to setting up CU athletics for long-term financial health. It's a lead-in to the 2019 season with an incredibly attractive slate of games that should drive season tickets and attendance to a new level if there is momentum from 2018 wins.

2019 home schedule:

Aug 31 - CSU in Denver
Sep 07 - Nebraska
Sep 14 - Air Force
4 Pac-12 home games: USC and Arizona plus 2 teams from the Pac-12 North

That's incredibly fan friendly. 2018 needs to be a success to set the table for that.

I plan on upgrading from a few game plan to the full season this year, finally. So they’ll get a few hundred extra this year

I've long suspected that our AD was hit by questionable charges (ever since one of my kids worked in the AD for a bit). Cal had a 3rd party consultant study what their situation is and found:
Athletics is not the monumental drain on the university’s budget that many critics, in the faculty and elsewhere, have contended.
In fact, in many cases, athletics has been the victim of Byzantine university policy and procedure.
One example: In the endless series of financial exchanges between athletics and central campus, the Bears end up paying more in transaction fees than they owe in actual expenses.

Wilner's link.

Back