What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU’s Bzdelik may pass on early signing period

Sexton Hardcastle

Club Member
Club Member
CU’s Bzdelik may pass on early signing period

In a major departure from his recruiting strategy the past two years, Colorado men’s basketball coach Jeff Bzdelik said Thursday that he may not sign any prospects during the early signing period next month.

Colorado has only two available scholarships to give for the 2010-2011 season.

“We have to be real selective,” Bzdelik said during Big 12 men’s basketball media-day interviews in Kansas City.

Frontcourt players will be targeted, the coach said.

“I feel real good about our perimeter play,” Bzdelik said. “We need to strengthen ourselves inside. We need to strengthen our defensive rebounding and our inside defense.’’

http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2009/10/22/cus-bzdelik-may-pass-on-early-signing-period/

I was wondering about this. All things considered, this is probably the smartest strategy. He'll pull in higher caliber recruits in the April-May period if we've gone to a postseason tournament and broken ground on the practice facility. At that time there are always some coaches that lose their jobs, so some great prospects de-commit and end up in limbo. It would be good to have some openings so we can take advantage of that.

I was wondering about this. All things considered, this is probably the smartest strategy. He'll pull in higher caliber recruits in the April-May period if we've gone to a postseason tournament and broken ground on the practice facility. At that time there are always some coaches that lose their jobs, so some great prospects de-commit and end up in limbo. It would be good to have some openings so we can take advantage of that.

Valid points, but I think overall, "passing" on early signing period is a bad move. In bball recruiting, many players sign by mid-Nov. I think Bz is doing a good job of being selective with his offers (makes me hopeful that Tunks can actually play and wasn't just offered to get a big body), but "passing" on early signing period I don't think is accurate. I think he wants a big man, and with Kirk going elsewhere, he doesn't see anyone that he wants and we have a legitimate shot at.

I'm pretty disappointed with our recruiting this cycle thus far. It just doesn't seem like we made any big strides with any prospects. Is he going after Mayes still or did he just give up? Why weren't we in on more kids? I understand being selective, but damn, even top tier programs show interest in a lot of kids when they have a few schollies. I understand that CU gets a lot less media coverage than they do, but even then...I just feel like this recruiting cycle is going slow.

I still trust Bz a lot with his coaching, but I think he could use another assistant to help him bring in some talent.

The bolded part, especially the practice facility, is what needs to happen. BAD. If they can get both done this season I would expect recruiting to pick up.

The bolded part, especially the practice facility, is what needs to happen. BAD. If they can get both done this season I would expect recruiting to pick up.

Then the best thing to do is pray that the football team wins another 5-6 games this year (including a bowl). Donations are going to fall off the cliff if the football team is in the crapper.

Then the best thing to do is pray that the football team wins another 5-6 games this year (including a bowl). Donations are going to fall off the cliff if the football team is in the crapper.

Not really. If the football team does that, but both the Men's and Women's hoops teams go down the ****ter this season, I would guess we still wouldn't see donations go up for a practice facility.

Not really. If the football team does that, but both the Men's and Women's hoops teams go down the ****ter this season, I would guess we still wouldn't see donations go up for a practice facility.

Donations are donations. The Men's & Women's teams aren't likely to be very good this year in any event.

I'm completely being a sunshine pumper with our hoops programs, but I think they will both surprise some people. Not NCAA Tournament good, but surprising. Donations for bball has been tough though, and we need a few consistent years of reaching the tournament in order to really get donations for those programs.

Back