What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's creative play design (cool article)

I think this offense is going to light some folks up. Don't be surprised at a few 50+ point games - in conference. So many weapons, so few weaknesses.

I think this offense is going to light some folks up. Don't be surprised at a few 50+ point games - in conference. So many weapons, so few weaknesses.
50+pts/game in conference would be absolutely insane. If our defense is even the slightest bit competent we would repeat as south champs with that kind of offense.

One of the first things I realized when I started coaching was how OCs used backfield action to dick with the LB/S. In high school, most defensive players aren't disciplined enough to stay on their OL reads to take them where they're supposed to be, so RB misdirection is all that is needed most times. At the college level, LB/S are supposed to be good enough to stay on their OL read and then go to backfield flow to get them in the right position, so OCs bring in these pulling OL concepts, on top of backfield misdirection, to make it really tough for defenders to be in the right spot. It's really hard to play defense.

No doubt, the ceiling for the offense is a lot higher this year. The OL will need to gel and stay healthy for it to reach its full potential. I just hope the players, and coaches, don't assume they're going to be great. They need to stay hungry.

Easy to see why we hear whispers of teams wanting to poach Lindgren away even tho it might be confusing at times lol. He's definitely a creative mofo.

Easy to see why we hear whispers of teams wanting to poach Lindgren away even tho it might be confusing at times lol. He's definitely a creative mofo.
Yeah, you don't get to be an OC at this level without knowing your **** inside and out. The feel for playcalling and understanding how to manipulate the opposing defense is what separates the good OCs from the mediocre to bad once. I think we all have some issue with the BL's playcalling at times, but there is no doubt he has really improved over his time here and I think Chev is a big reason why.

Last edited:
Great piece if you enjoy nerding out on how CU's offense uses some creative approaches to confuse opposing linebackers in order to open up throwing lanes. (from the Newstand NCBufff does every day for all the premium sites)

How Colorado attacks the middle of the field
Thanks, I didn't even know you could choose to play with 10, 11 or 12 offensive personnel. :unsure: Maybe when I retire I can bump the existing acronyms and terminology from my head to make room for football's.

Thanks, I didn't even know you could choose to play with 10, 11 or 12 offensive personnel. :unsure: Maybe when I retire I can bump the existing acronyms and terminology from my head to make room for football's.
The personnel numbering is just saying how many RBs and how many TEs are on the field. 10 = 1 RB & 0 TE, 11 = 1 RB & 1 TE, 12 = 1 RB & 2 TE, etc, etc

Montez having the ability to quickly read the defense like Sefo did is key for this offense.

I have little concern about Montez's physical skills. But having a smart and observant QB is critical.

If Montez has a mastery of the playbook, good chemistry with the skills players, and is effective reading defensive coverage to call audibles and hit the hot route, this offense can be deadly.

Miscues and bad reads could be the difference between good and great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last example with the holding call still pisses me off considering Michigan's OL was getting away with worse than that. But I digress.

So many options this year. The offense is gonna have some smoke!

Yeah, you don't get to be an OC at this level without knowing your **** inside and out. The feel for playcalling and understanding how to manipulate the opposing defense is what separates the good OCs from the mediocre to bad once. I think we all have some issue with the BL's playcalling at times, but there is no doubt he has really improved over his time here and I think Chev is a big reason why.
I would also add that having a really bad then mediocre then solid OL can explain much of our improvement on offense as well over the past 4+ years.

Clearly, CU has a solid scheme - just commenting that the OL play has much to do with it as well.

I would also add that having a really bad then mediocre then solid OL can explain much of our improvement on offense as well over the past 4+ years.

Clearly, CU has a solid scheme - just commenting that the OL play has much to do with it as well.
Good point. I remember looking at last years OL and thinking the excuses were gone. All the youth movements and gray shirts/redshirts were finally going to see some playing time. We finally had numbers and experience all up and down the OL. It definitely helped. No question about it.

Lindgren helped his OL out a tremendous amount by committing to the run game.

I remember being scared for Sefo his first couple years. There were games when every pass play was a jailbreak coming at him.

BL is super smart. What he lacks in giving heart to 18 year olds from all walks of life is more than made up by Chev. They are a good combo. How long can we keep two OCs?

BL is super smart. What he lacks in giving heart to 18 year olds from all walks of life is more than made up by Chev. They are a good combo. How long can we keep two OCs?
Not very long. Articles like this one are frequently the result of a "suggestion" and information / access being handed to the reporter by savvy coaches' agents who are building up the market (and market value) for their clients.

Smart PR moves like this, where an agent is building up the reputation and "buzz" around their clients, is where a good agent's value is really seen, it's not at the negotiating table like many people think.

This is what Lindgren excels at

I wonder how much Lindgren & Chev are adapting the offense to fit the skills of the 2017 roster? In other words does this analysis of 2016 conform 100% to CU's system this year? Or will we see a bit of an evolution based on changing QB and WR personnel? I ask, because I hope to see less running of Montez up the middle on first and goal, and more WR & TE routes inside the 10.

Cool article. MM, BL and DC are doing a great job. I still see a few headscratching calls but I guess that's normal. Get frustrated at certain games but that's just cuz we were outmatched physically...mostly USC.

3bd89a0.jpg

Curious to know why Ryan chose the Buffs to write about and break down there offense? And yes, I could see the Buffs being one of the higher scoring CFB teams this year.

Back