What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Nike Contract - June 30th Expiration

Meh- I remember that a lot of ASU games were televised at like midnight. Not a good comparison, IMO.
I am quite certain I never had to stay up until midnight to watch any CU games either....but that is only because I recorded them and woke up early the next morning.

Right?? Those facilities out in Colorado Springs(?) are what 12 years old? Imagine getting outside funding to make Boulder the new Olympic training grounds. That would make Knight and Oregon drop to their knees.

They also put it where they put it for two reasons; the city that has it was friendly to the idea. The rents there are affordable for the athletes that come and go.

They also put it where they put it for two reasons; the city that has it was friendly to the idea. The rents there are affordable for the athletes that come and go.

Here's an Idea. Guild a Billion dollar endowment. Tear down Balch, put another field house out there, a Rink/Swim Center. Build a Apartments/Dorms for athletics. Proft???

Here's an Idea. Guild a Billion dollar endowment. Tear down Balch, put another field house out there, a Rink/Swim Center. Build a Apartments/Dorms for athletics. Proft???
Unfortunately, you would be "robbing Peter to pay Paul," as the CU system already benefits from the status quo setup:
a. During the summer, frequently athletes can/do use the CU dorms on the Colorado Springs campus
b. Year round, frequently athletes take classes at the Colorado Springs campus - they understandably aren't full-time students, but a lot of them try to at least make progress towards a college degree (yay for out-of-state tuition for part-time students - the most profitable form of tuition...).

Even if you could get everyone on board (i.e. the US Olympic Committee + all of the national teams that headquartered in C.S.), you wouldn't actually create any new revenue, you would only be swapping one revenue stream for another one - and have a big capital expense for all the trouble.

Olympic center has dorms on 47 acres of facilities. CU doesnt want to have share access time (scheduling) with the US Olympic teams.

I prefer Nike myself but I'd be good with whoever gives CU the best deal. Whoever that is, don't **** up our unis.

This is interesting: The AD's Facebook page just posted the story from Outside the Lines about Kara Goucher, and her allegations against Alberto Salazar and Nike. This with the comment, "We are proud of Kara Goucher." Probably doesn't mean anything, but I found it interesting given the timing.

I'm not trying, intentionally, to be a troll with the following question. What affect did the P-12 network having a smaller reach than the other networks have on determining the contract value? Obviously it was detrimental, but I can't quantify to what extent. Good teams in the Pac don't play on the network, so I don't think they would take as big a hit as us bottom dwellers. I imagine a large portion of yearly fees are determined by the number of eyeballs watching your team on Saturday.

I'm not trying, intentionally, to be a troll with the following question. What affect did the P-12 network having a smaller reach than the other networks have on determining the contract value? Obviously it was detrimental, but I can't quantify to what extent. Good teams in the Pac don't play on the network, so I don't think they would take as big a hit as us bottom dwellers. I imagine a large portion of yearly fees are determined by the number of eyeballs watching your team on Saturday.

UCLA just signed a record setting deal with UA. The Pac-12 net has little effect on these apparel deals. It has everything to do with what brands they want to be associated with and currently CU is not a good brand.

Not nearly as great as the effect of a combined bidding war & top 6 market, I would think.

Sound pretty weak, but pretty much what I expected. Would have been nice to have done a shorter term in hope of improvement soon.

RG has an audio posted on Rivals in which he says the rough numbers are $30m for 10 years with Nike, details released tomorrow.

edit: I got this from Rivals...

Last edited:
That's a joke offer. We need more coin than that imho. Wait did they agree to this? I should be shocked but I'm not, Christ.

Assuming it's actually ~30m/10yr, it makes sense if you compare tv markets. UCLA's market is 2nd overall. Cal's market is 6th overall. Both ranked higher if you take out non cfb markets. ASU's market is 12th overall, CU's market is 18th overall. Seems to mirror market potential rather closely.

The schools that punched well above their weight class (TV Market) were Texas, Michigan, tOSU aka the true blue bloods.

Last edited:
Howell mentioned in his column that the deal is retroactive to last year and will run through 2024-25.

We're supposed to get details today.

I think RG could have gotten just as much money per year with a shorter term (5-8 years) instead of going out ten and I think he left money on the table given the current market environment. I would grade this a solid D. Not as bad of a grade as RG gets for slowly taking away the fun for students at basketball games, but still not good.

Back