What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU's Rightful Place in College Football

I would. That place seems very dull to me. There are a lot of people who would rather go somewhere fun for college. And you can get a great education while developing a great network at other schools... especially when we're talking about other Pac-12 universities.

You are all in, Nik. I admire that, but honestly there is no school I would take over Stanford if I got in.

You are all in, Nik. I admire that, but honestly there is no school I would take over Stanford if I got in.

As an (almost) 35 year old who is not a professional athlete I agree with you, but Nik isn't wrong, Stanford is lame as f**k and I can see how a 17-18 year old may not feel like they're getting the full college experience there. Parents, however, will fall heavily in favor of Stanford.

Nebraska's Rightful Place in Game of Thrones

The University of Nebraska–Lincoln is Cersei Lannister

Proud, driven and quick to inflict harsh punishments. We wouldn’t be surprised if they were sleeping with their brother, either.

“If you ever call me sister again, I’ll have you strangled in your sleep.”

I would. That place seems very dull to me. There are a lot of people who would rather go somewhere fun for college. And you can get a great education while developing a great network at other schools... especially when we're talking about other Pac-12 universities.
Rep.

I like being a public school snob -- I'd actually take Cal over Stanford.
Double Rep.

The University of Nebraska–Lincoln is Cersei Lannister

Proud, driven and quick to inflict harsh punishments. We wouldn’t be surprised if they were sleeping with their brother, either.

“If you ever call me sister again, I’ll have you strangled in your sleep.”

I kinda wish we had Tyrion Lannister as CU. The coolest of the Lannisters and money for the AD wouldn't be an issue.

Stanford is boring the same way Harvard, Princeton and Yale are boring. Except they have a legit D-1 athletics department and the weather is nice year-round.

Stanford is boring the same way Harvard, Princeton and Yale are boring. Except they have a legit D-1 athletics department and the weather is nice year-round.

Great school...still boring. Girls are not hot, and the very few that are are already dating some hedge fund manager's kid that just had Pharell play his birthday party.

Exactly. Nerds, trust fund brats and their foreign national counterparts make up your fellow students. Some people don't like that. Actually, a lot of people don't like that.

And while Palo Alto is nicer than a lot of places, it's nothing special. Very little "college town" feel to the place.

Stanford has a lot going for it. No doubt that it can check a lot of boxes for a lot of people. No doubt it checks all of the sackman boxes. But it doesn't check all the boxes for everyone.

This thread needs more cowbell.

Stanford-Cowbell-Player-vs-Kansas-NCAA-March-Madness.gif

People with spouses and family members who attended Stanford are more likely to buy into the hype.

Many of us are just as happy labeling them elite robber barons who look out for their own before looking out for the rest of us.

Stanford doesn't go out of their way to help Colorado. **** 'em.

I think the main and possibly only benefit to a Stanford or Ivy League education over a good state school is making connections. It would be hard to prove the education is demonstrably better, particularly for the cost, but when you graduate a lot more doors are opened.

CU's track coach and facilities have a poor reputation in-state with high school athletes. The perception is that CU doesn't care about the throwing and speed events, choosing to ride cross country's coattails.

Exactly. Nerds, trust fund brats and their foreign national counterparts make up your fellow students. Some people don't like that. Actually, a lot of people don't like that.

And while Palo Alto is nicer than a lot of places, it's nothing special. Very little "college town" feel to the place.

Stanford has a lot going for it. No doubt that it can check a lot of boxes for a lot of people. No doubt it checks all of the sackman boxes. But it doesn't check all the boxes for everyone.

It doesn't check all the boxes, but no place does. One box it doesn't check is "Distance from my crazy sister" box. Far too close for me. You're absolutely right that Palo Alto, as a college town, sucks. There's very little essence to the place. I think that's part of the reason their fan support is so lousy. People don't say "Let's go to Palo Alto for the day!"

BUT, as a 17 year old track athlete, the prospect of a full ride to Stanford has to sound a lot more appealing than a partial (or even full) scholarship to CU.

Great school...still boring. Girls are not hot, and the very few that are are already dating some hedge fund manager's kid that just had Pharell play his birthday party.

1000%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously, have any of you ever run at Potts Field? One of the worst tracks I ever ran on. And indoor at Balch? THAT is the reason track athletes don't go to CU - not because of the politics of Boulder or that everyone hates CU. CU's track team does pretty well considering facilities, lack of scholarship money, etc.

Seriously, have any of you ever run at Potts Field? One of the worst tracks I ever ran on. And indoor at Balch? THAT is the reason track athletes don't go to CU - not because of the politics of Boulder or that everyone hates CU. CU's track team does pretty well considering facilities, lack of scholarship money, etc.
yup. and a good track is actually pretty important for cross country training too..

CU's track coach and facilities have a poor reputation in-state with high school athletes. The perception is that CU doesn't care about the throwing and speed events, choosing to ride cross country's coattails.

I believe the new IPF will go a long way toward changing that. But, truthfully, the in-state high school athletes are largely correct. CU's T&F programs are underfunded to be what they could become so the focus is on being dominant in distant events while trying to do more with less on the other specialties.

Potts surface was completely replaced a few years ago. I remember it used to be horrible, and maybe is again. There's a lot of potential there, but they don't utilize that facility to it's fullest potential. I can't disagree with you there. Back in the Barnett days, Doc Kreis used to use Potts as a S&C facility. They had all kinds of stupid stuff set up out there that really tore up the field. That ended after Doc was fired. Doc felt that the entire University was his personal playground, but I digress. I would have thought that Potts would have been deemed acceptable after the improvements they had to go through to host the Big 12 championships a few years ago.

Does CU not fully fund the 12.6 scholarships for men and the 18 for women? Remember that those numbers are the combined cc/t&f equivalencies. For non-headcount sports, coaches are free to spread those equivalencies around, which might mean that the majority don't get full scholarships unless they are an exceptional talent.

Does CU not fully fund the 12.6 scholarships for men and the 18 for women? Remember that those numbers are the combined cc/t&f equivalencies. For non-headcount sports, coaches are free to spread those equivalencies around, which might mean that the majority don't get full scholarships unless they are an exceptional talent.

CU does fully fund, but the scholarships and dollars are slanted towards cross country. I think the feeling is that we can be/stay world class in CC and compete for NCs every year, or pretty darn good at everything (think what we aspire to in football: regularly in top 25, occasional top 10 finish, and maybe catch lightening in a bottle once in a while too win a MNC), but not both.

It's actually a pretty tough trade off. I'm not sure the current answer is wrong.

CU does fully fund, but the scholarships and dollars are slanted towards cross country. I think the feeling is that we can be/stay world class in CC and compete for NCs every year, or pretty darn good at everything (think what we aspire to in football: regularly in top 25, occasional top 10 finish, and maybe catch lightening in a bottle once in a while too win a MNC), but not both.

It's actually a pretty tough trade off. I'm not sure the current answer is wrong.

The current answer is right.

The way to bring up the rest of the T&F program is through facility upgrade and getting some football players who want to run and jump in the spring.

The blue sky dream would be that we could parlay our Boulder running culture into coach salaries and other parts of the budgets getting endowed.

The current answer is right.

The way to bring up the rest of the T&F program is through facility upgrade and getting some football players who want to run and jump in the spring.

The blue sky dream would be that we could parlay our Boulder running culture into coach salaries and other parts of the budgets getting endowed.

Agree with you.

Boulder is a mecca for distance running. The best HS distance runners all know about the Boulder culture and CU's record of success in the NCAA championships as well as CU athletes success in major national and international competition after leaving CU means that CU has a legitimate shot at maintaining a NC competitive program over a long period of time.

Even if CU were to upgrade facilities and turn the balance entirely to T&F it would be hard for CU to be an upper level program in the PAC. Oregon has tradition, resources, and NIKE money. The LA schools have tradition and huge recruiting potential in southern California. The Zona schools can be tough competition and even Utah has some strong ties to success.

In the Olympic type sports being pretty good doesn't help you much in terms of school profile. Having individual and team success at the NC level in CC is much more valuable to CU.

Mondo tracks are great for speed, but they wreak havoc on the knees. They're super expensive, but last more than twice as long as the most common tracks.

Back