What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

dc Daily Camera Football: Buffs' Adams aims to develop leadership in offensive line

RSSBot

News Junkie
Given a promotion to co-offensive coordinator earlier this month, Colorado's Klayton Adams is looking forward to working with Darrin Chiaverini to get the Buffaloes rolling on offense.

<b>By Brian Howell</b><p><p><i>BuffZone.com</i>
Continue reading...

"There are five spots there that are truly and 100 percent absolutely up for grabs. Those guys need to spend the entire offseason competing for those jobs."

Yes. So much this.

And I really believe that Adams should bring in 2 upperclassmen in the spring -- grad transfer or JUCO route. We probably need both a tackle and a guard.

Were the jobs not up for grabs last season? I am not sure I understand how this is going to be different next season. And the article reads to me like Adams is saying it was the players fault. I would have liked to see him take some ownership for the massive failure that was our o line. It’s the coaches that set large expectations for the line last year and did not come remotely close to meeting those expectations.

Furthermore, it seems to me that we are going to be forced to play a lot of young guys largely due to recruiting failures on the o line (too many projects). It seems like it’s been since Barnett where we actually had real depth on the o line. I am frustrated we are this far into the MikeMac era and our class balance and depth is still out of whack.

Were the jobs not up for grabs last season? I am not sure I understand how this is going to be different next season. And the article reads to me like Adams is saying it was the players fault. I would have liked to see him take some ownership for the massive failure that was our o line. It’s the coaches that set large expectations for the line last year and did not come remotely close to meeting those expectations.

Furthermore, it seems to me that we are going to be forced to play a lot of young guys largely due to recruiting failures on the o line (too many projects). It seems like it’s been since Barnett where we actually had real depth on the o line. I am frustrated we are this far into the MikeMac era and our class balance and depth is still out of whack.
Same old tired routine....you identified the problem, WAY too many projects, not enough studs.

Sort of demands it's own thread. Depth chart looks worrisome. Time to find out if some of these "projects" are the types that continually maul us at places like CSU, or failures. We took a bunch of them.

I consider most OL recruits, independent of rankings, to be projects. This spring is going to be VERY interesting for this position group.

Will Moretti, Sherman and Polley claim their PT?
Has Vaughn, Lytle, Pursell and Paige progressed?
Can Shatuck contend for a starting spot?
Can Miller play as advertised, with consistency?
Can Haigler play to his potential?
Can Tonz prove the naysayers wrong and be a solid contributor?

Really, the question now is: has Adams developed the OL guys? Because we are going to need to see it. Both lines actually.

How about playing more backups when given the opportunity?

This has been a sore point for me.

They claim to have a strategy of developing players then don't take advantage of opportunities to develop those players. When you see a senior getting double digit snaps in garbage time or even a junior who has already shown he isn't going to factor instead of a young guy then there is reason to question their dedication to truly developing young players.

Sort of demands it's own thread. Depth chart looks worrisome. Time to find out if some of these "projects" are the types that continually maul us at places like CSU, or failures. We took a bunch of them.

I consider most OL recruits, independent of rankings, to be projects. This spring is going to be VERY interesting for this position group.

Will Moretti, Sherman and Polley claim their PT?
Has Vaughn, Lytle, Pursell and Paige progressed?
Can Shatuck contend for a starting spot?
Can Miller play as advertised, with consistency?
Can Haigler play to his potential?
Can Tonz prove the naysayers wrong and be a solid contributor?

Really, the question now is: has Adams developed the OL guys? Because we are going to need to see it. Both lines actually.
Well, there are projects, and there are projects. Very few frosh are ready to play, although it is not unheard of. Brian Daniels, Marwan Hage, Ryan Miller, Kai Maiava, just to name a few.

Generally, though, when an OL is pursued by multiple P5 programs, the likelihood they will be a multi-year contributor is much higher than the "Gee, this guy played handball and has a great frame to grow into" type of project. CU has a whole bunch of the latter, and not too many of the former. It shows.

Well, there are projects, and there are projects. Very few frosh are ready to play, although it is not unheard of. Brian Daniels, Marwan Hage, Ryan Miller, Kai Maiava, just to name a few.

Generally, though, when an OL is pursued by multiple P5 programs, the likelihood they will be a multi-year contributor is much higher than the "Gee, this guy played handball and has a great frame to grow into" type of project. CU has a whole bunch of the latter, and not too many of the former. It shows.

Makes a huge difference if your project develop into 2-3 year contributors instead of 1-2 year contributors.

Projects are fine, but the class balance is so bad on the OL. Should never be entering a season with one senior outside of rare circumstances like juniors leaving early, and that lone senior should be better than a guy like Josh Kaiser.

IMO the 3 areas of focus to make a competitive team are QB, OL and DL. Certainly all positions are important but in my mind these are most important...and this staff has not demonstrated much acumen in any of these areas. MM has had 5 years...

IMO the 3 areas of focus to make a competitive team are QB, OL and DL. Certainly all positions are important but in my mind these are most important...and this staff has not demonstrated much acumen in any of these areas. MM has had 5 years...
Leading up to last year you were relentlessly calling out BL, and he had a great year. This year, you were pretty mellow. Im hoping you turn out to be our discontented rabbit's foot.

Last edited:
Makes a huge difference if your project develop into 2-3 year contributors instead of 1-2 year contributors.
giphy.gif

This is still '17, so last year, I'd say so, yes.
I know to what year you were referring...I guess we have a difference of opinion on what constitutes "great". And on AllBuffs a difference of opinion means ALL OUT WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):ROFLMAO:

Back