What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

dc Daily Camera Football: Buffs still in discussion with CSU about continuing Rocky Mountain...

RSSBot

News Junkie
This past week, the Colorado football program announced a two-game set with Northwestern in the next decade, and the announcement naturally has led to some curiosity about the future of the Rocky Mountain Showdown.

<b>By Brian Howell</b><p><p><i>BuffZone.com Writer</i>
Continue reading...

Let's do it.

Three games a decade in Boulder, one in Ft. Collins (with a big guarantee for CU) and zero in Denver.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the series as long as it's on the campuses and not in Denver. That said, CU should dictate the terms and it should be 2 years at Folsom, followed by a year at CSU, followed by two years at Folsom, and so on. I don't even want those games to be yearly. Instead, make it more of a Front Range Series, and include Wyoming and Air Force (it should be 2 for 1 games against them as well). This would make it so we played CSU every other year, and Air Force and Wyoming every 4 years. Based on where things are headed in college football, I think it's time to stop playing the FCS teams, and instead, play one non-P5 game against the local FBS G5 teams. The years CU would be away in this series means they wouldn't have a 7th home game that year, but those away games would be close enough that local fans could day trip to those games, and would have a true 7th home game 2 out of every 3 years. To me, something like this would be ideal and I think it could look something like this:

2023: CSU at CU
2024: CU at Wyoming
2025 CSU at CU
2026: Air Force at CU
2027: CU at CSU
2028: Wyoming at CU
2029: CSU at CU
2030: CU at Air Force
2031: CSU at CU
2032: Wyoming at CU
2033: CU at CSU
2034: Air Force at CU
2035: CSU at CU
and so on...

CU should be looking to get a perennial top 10-15 program to Colorado, which may mean moving the game to Denver.
I think that's the idea, playing teams like Texas A&M at Mile High where we can sell it out and make a fortune.

RG has the right mindset, and I get a feeling he will be treating CSU appropriately going forth. No more sweetheart deals for them.

I'm fine with the series as long as it's on the campuses and not in Denver. That said, CU should dictate the terms and it should be 2 years at Folsom, followed by a year at CSU, followed by two years at Folsom, and so on. I don't even want those games to be yearly. Instead, make it more of a Front Range Series, and include Wyoming and Air Force (it should be 2 for 1 games against them as well). This would make it so we played CSU every other year, and Air Force and Wyoming every 4 years. Based on where things are headed in college football, I think it's time to stop playing the FCS teams, and instead, play one non-P5 game against the local FBS G5 teams. The years CU would be away in this series means they wouldn't have a 7th home game that year, but those away games would be close enough that local fans could day trip to those games, and would have a true 7th home game 2 out of every 3 years. To me, something like this would be ideal and I think it could look something like this:

2023: CSU at CU
2024: CU at Wyoming
2025 CSU at CU
2026: Air Force at CU
2027: CU at CSU
2028: Wyoming at CU
2029: CSU at CU
2030: CU at Air Force
2031: CSU at CU
2032: Wyoming at CU
2033: CU at CSU
2034: Air Force at CU
2035: CSU at CU
and so on...

I'd expand the definition of "Front Range" to include New Mexico.

One way to do this would be for CU to play 2 games against an in-state Front Range team every 4-year cycle and 2 games against an out-of-state Front Range team every 4-year cycle.

So, looking after the RMS current series ends and we've got the AFA home game in 2022, I'd try to do the following as a re-set:

2023/24 - CSU (H)/ CSU (A)
2025/26 - UNM (A)/ UNM (H)
2027/28 - AFA (H)/ AFA (A)
2029/30 - WYO (H)/ WYO (A)

I want to play all of these teams. I don't want to play 2 in the same season and I don't want to play any of them every season.

Even more ideal would be a cycle so that each is played once every 4 years with the H/A staggered. That would look something like this:

2023 - CU (H)
2024 - UNM (A)
2025 - WYO (H)
2026 - AFA (A)
2027 - UNM (H)
2028 - CSU (A)
2029 - AFA (H)
2030 - WYO (A)

"We won't have any future games in Denver with CSU in any kind of new relationship," George said.
Asked if he felt it was important for CU to play the rival Rams, George said, "I think it's important to play Air Force and important to play games like that on the Front Range with different teams."
bill%2Bmurray%2Byou%2Bda%2Bman.jpg

I thought about it, but New Mexico didn't fit my selfish hoped for scenario, as I could drive to the other three places within 2 hours, but it would take almost 7 hours to get to New Mexico's campus. Due to that inconvenience, they were struck from consideration. None of these areas incorporated into the scenario are recruiting hotbeds, so there was nothing to consider other than my selfish want to keep driving time within 2 hours.

I also made sure that there was never a CU away game for this hypothetical first game (Front Range Series) two years in a row. I wouldn't want to face any of these opponents or any of there level more than once a year, preferably for the first game of the year.

One way to do this would be for CU to play 2 games against an in-state Front Range team every 4-year cycle and 2 games against an out-of-state Front Range team every 4-year cycle.

So, looking after the RMS current series ends and we've got the AFA home game in 2022, I'd try to do the following as a re-set:

2023/24 - CSU (H)/ CSU (A)
2025/26 - UNM (A)/ UNM (H)
2027/28 - AFA (H)/ AFA (A)
2029/30 - WYO (H)/ WYO (A)

I want to play all of these teams. I don't want to play 2 in the same season and I don't want to play any of them every season.

Even more ideal would be a cycle so that each is played once every 4 years with the H/A staggered. That would look something like this:

2023 - CU (H)
2024 - UNM (A)
2025 - WYO (H)
2026 - AFA (A)
2027 - UNM (H)
2028 - CSU (A)
2029 - AFA (H)
2030 - WYO (A)
Any concerns that we are giving too many home and homes with G5 teams?

Not from me. It's 2017, not 1997. This is standard stuff, especially if the G5 opponent is AAC, MWC, Army or BYU.

I do. There are years when we only have four home PAC 12 games (lie this year). Those years will need three OOC home games. When we are offering up home/home series with the CSUs of the world, we are hurting our bottom line.

I do. There are years when we only have four home PAC 12 games (lie this year). Those years will need three OOC home games. When we are offering up home/home series with the CSUs of the world, we are hurting our bottom line.
With a 9-game conference schedule, we'll never see 7-game home schedules.

To get there, we'd need 2 home and 1 away in the "5" years.
We'd then need 3 home and 0 away in the "4" years.

That leaves room for 1 home/away series against a P5. (Home in a "4" year, away in a "5" year.)

The other 2 games, both home, every year, would then need to be body bag games against FCS or the dregs of G5. I don't want that. Do others of you guys want that?

With a 9-game conference schedule, we'll never see 7-game home schedules.

To get there, we'd need 2 home and 1 away in the "5" years.
We'd then need 3 home and 0 away in the "4" years.

That leaves room for 1 home/away series against a P5. (Home in a "4" year, away in a "5" year.)

The other 2 games, both home, every year, would then need to be body bag games against FCS or the dregs of G5. I don't want that. Do others of you guys want that?
Your math is correct, as is mine. We can't be doing a bunch of home/home series with G5 teams.

Your math is correct, as is mine. We can't be doing a bunch of home/home series with G5 teams.
I don't want any body bag games against FCS and I don't want to play 12 P5 opponents unless everyone else is doing that.

This means scheduling home/away series with G5 teams.

Northwestern.jpg

CU Party Here! This is the best aspect of that article. Buffs playing & partying in Chicago in September is by far my favorite part of the story.

If I were in charge of that headline, it would be "The Windy City only has 9 years to stock up on booze for traveling Buffs.

We now have quality facilities, a quality HC, quality players, and the quality of support for the program is on the rise.

Simple logic. Replace csewe with a quality opponent.

Back