What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

dc Daily Camera Football: Jim Leavitt: Oregon's offer was 'so out there'

RSSBot

News Junkie
Jim Leavitt never anticipated he would leave the Colorado football team for another job as a defensive coordinator.

<b>By Brian Howell</b><p><p><i>BuffZone.com Writer</i>
Continue reading...

Seemed pretty straight forward. I do think the part about not playing Colorado for 2 years allowed him to go there is complete bull**** though.
That must be what allowed him be unethical as it pertains to recruits, in his mind.

Seemed pretty straight forward. I do think the part about not playing Colorado for 2 years allowed him to go there is complete bull**** though.
Agreed. I think he'd still take the $2M more if he had to play us. Good luck JL...except against the Buffs.

I have zero issues with Leavitt. He did a fine job for CU and left for more money. I've done the same thing in my career.

I still don't feel much better about it.
Sucks he couldn't have at least stayed for the bowl.

Maybe Oregon overpaid. Maybe not. Either way, the guy won a lottery for his hard work at Colorado, which was superlative.

The thought of 'what if' has entered my mind a time or two. Like, 'What if HCMM was offered an NFL position for a bunch of $$. Wouldn't JL be a prime candidate to come back here?" Seems like that bridge hasn't been burned, smartly so, by RG. Highly unlikely, particularly this year. But let's say it does happen. Would JL leave the Ducks to come back in 2017 for HC money? I bet he would be RG's first phone call.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing this scenario at all. But if it were to happen, I'd be ok with it.

Yeah! When Chiv did this last year it was different.
Which WR recruit that was in the boat at TTU did Chev promise to pull when he was interviewing at Colorado, resulting in an immediate Colorado offer? That one escapes me. I believe he put us onto Ento, but that was because TTU didn't have room for Ento at that point.

I have zero issues with Leavitt. He did a fine job for CU and left for more money. I've done the same thing in my career.
We all have. And I've also had employees come in and tell me they got an offer, and I've told them they should take it, because I couldn't match it and they should think about themselves. I have no problem with Leavitt leaving. I have problems with some things I've heard about messing with CU commits, which is a coaching no-no.

We all have. And I've also had employees come in and tell me they got an offer, and I've told them they should take it, because I couldn't match it and they should think about themselves. I have no problem with Leavitt leaving. I have problems with some things I've heard about messing with CU commits, which is a coaching no-no.

i, too, would have problems with this

Ok, so he says the difference between UO's offer and CU's was $2mm.

He also said that UO was willing to go 4 years vs others' 3, but it's not clear if CU is in that group of others.

The reports are UO has him at $1.2mm/yr for four years, that's $4.8mm.

Assume that CU was 3 years and the difference was $2mm. $4.8 - $2.0 = $2.8 / 3 = $933k/yr. (This also aligns with nik's report of a $900k/yr rumor.)

Worst case: CU was 4 years and the difference was $2mm. That's still $700k/yr, which is was right in line with the top coordinator's pay in the conference (prior to this contract, the highest paid coordinator in the P12 was at $750k/yr).

Either way: RG is willing, and more importantly, capable of paying a very competitive salary. That's a good thing.

Back