What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Daily Camera Men's Basketball: Dallas Walton ready to show what he's learned for CU Buffs hoops

RSSBot

News Junkie
Dallas Walton did his best to just soak it all in. Walton, the 7-foot freshman from the Colorado men's basketball team, was given a redshirt season to merely observe what it takes to compete at the Division I level.

Continue reading...

"I'm able to use more of my weight to kind of move people around and finish with contact. I think that's one thing I had trouble with," Walton said. "Even with my shot, you've got to progress on your game as a whole. I've got to finish with a dunk instead of a floater or a soft hook."

"He really showed flashes during the season of a guy who can be a rim protector and can alter shot defensively," Boyle said. "But also he's a very good 15 to 17-foot shooter. He's got a nice touch. Now, can he score on the block with physicality? That's the challenge.

"He needs to continue to get stronger and bigger. He can make unbelievable strides between now and November in the weight room, and he needs to. That part of the process with Dallas will be on-going."

Would be an absolute game changer for next season if Dallas can give us 10-20 minutes a night as a shot blocker and post defender.

"I'm able to use more of my weight to kind of move people around and finish with contact. I think that's one thing I had trouble with," Walton said. "Even with my shot, you've got to progress on your game as a whole. I've got to finish with a dunk instead of a floater or a soft hook."

"He really showed flashes during the season of a guy who can be a rim protector and can alter shot defensively," Boyle said. "But also he's a very good 15 to 17-foot shooter. He's got a nice touch. Now, can he score on the block with physicality? That's the challenge.

"He needs to continue to get stronger and bigger. He can make unbelievable strides between now and November in the weight room, and he needs to. That part of the process with Dallas will be on-going."

Would be an absolute game changer for next season if Dallas can give us 10-20 minutes a night as a shot blocker and post defender.
Looks like Walton took what Tad said to heart. Great seeing Josh still mentoring after graduation.

http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketb...stronger-dallas-walton-manning-paint-cu-hoops
"The ones that want it, I've had my share of waking up on an off day and getting a message, 'Coach I want to go lift.' But I can count them on one hand," [MBB strength coach Steve] Englehart said. "I'm pretty sure it was (Walton) wanting to prove other people wrong. He's had doubters, and I think that's what fueled the fire the most."

Late in the spring Walton finally was able to shed the bulky knee brace he practiced with all last season ("I felt like Forrest Gump, breaking out of his braces and running free," said Walton) and he flexed his newfound muscles over the summer. A year ago, when the Buffs alumni squad Team Colorado worked out in Boulder, Walton was physically overmatched. This summer, vets like Marcus Hall regaled Englehart with how impressed they were over Walton's physical transformation.

"I give a lot of credit to coach Steve. He made getting in the weight room a fun thing to do," Walton said. "I lifted every day, and over the course of this year I found myself working a lot harder and challenging myself a lot more. We had July off, but I made sure I was there every day working on some part of my body. During the season it was hard for me to move these guys easily. Come now, I find they're struggling to move me a little bit."

Walton might have to play more than I thought if he is that far along physically. He can be a true defensive anchor if he can put on some more weight. He moves pretty well in this clip, too:

This is really good to hear, and if he earns playing time sooner than later, great. However, I'm not expecting or even hoping that he plays this year. I thought he was a promising project at the start, and I will hold that opinion through his career - basically not expecting much from him until his junior/senior year, where hopefully he is a solid contributor. His RS FR year though... ...I'm willing to continue be patient.

Idk guys, Dallas reminds me of Justin Patton out of crieghton.

Walton might have to play more than I thought if he is that far along physically. He can be a true defensive anchor if he can put on some more weight. He moves pretty well in this clip, too:

Most of the 7 foot, 260lb plus guys are already in the NBA. Walton may be more physically ready than we give him credit for. Most of the guys he will face will either be much shorter than he is or much slower than he is.

Very encouraging to see that this isn't another Ben Mills situation. Ben had a great attitude but just couldn't develop the strength needed at this level of basketball, Walton has already gone way past were Ben ever reached. If he continues this development he will go past contributing and could be a force.

We need him to have a defensive impact ASAP. I'm cautiously optimistic. Also, I'd like to see his 3 pt shooting that I've heard so much about.

Wasn't he on track to be a top 100 guy before his two ACL injuries?

Back