What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

dc Daily Camera Men's Basketball: Lagging attendance an issue for CU men's basketball program

Lose to CSU at home, this is the result. It wouldn't be so bad, but then they go and lose a bunch of home games. You can't expect big crowds when the product on the floor is mediocre at best.

Sorry.

Simply goes back to winning. Winning cures everything and this team hasn't been that fun to watch this year. And I have been to every home game. Except for a few games, like last night, you just thought this team looked uninspired. Many fans seem to think that we've seen the best of what Tad can do. Take us to the tournament most years, then promptly get slapped around by another team. If we're lucky, maybe we can make it to the round of 32. With this team, Tad touted it as his best team. And I do believe it is his most talented team, but there were severe issues on this team, especially lack of senior leadership. Wes and XJ played lazy for a lot of the year and their suspensions seemed to confirm to most people that they didn't care. White was the lone bright spot of this team, but I don't know if he felt he could step in and take a leadership role with coming in as a transfer. Many people I have spoken to, wish White was eligible last year with Scott. I do too.

If George and the Athletic Department want to make CU basketball serious, I think they need to take the same methods they used for football. We have a great video department for the football team, but don't use it for the basketball team. That should be changed. We need to make the CEC a better arena. Yes, we have great practice facilities for the basketball and volleyball teams, but the arena itself is outdated. I know George plans on putting in center scoreboard. If they do this, maybe move the bathrooms to the outer ring of the CEC. If you do that, maybe put in some boxes there. Not sure how it can be done, but you can look at the press box as to how they could do something like that. I know a lot people complain about the sound quality of the CEC, and I know Bose came in last summer to work on it. I am no sound engineer, but I can tell you much of the sound is being lost in the rafters. My solution is put in a false ceiling at the rafters. Sound bounces back into the arena off something solid, and it gets muffled out in stuff like rafters.

As for next year, I do hope these freshman coming in can prove something right off the bat with our returning players. I do like King, Miller shows flashes, Seiwert has come a long ways, Brown is showing promise, and before Peters was suspended, he was playing great. Hopefully a guy like Dallas Walton can come in big and strong and be our post player.

Boyle said he is disappointed in attendance, then says he needs to have some ownership of it.THEN DON'T COMPLAIN AT ALL. I like Tad and think he should continue as the coach. But we ALL KNOW that at CU, fans show if they win. We've talked ad nauseum about why the CU sports, and yes basketball fan support is more fickle than some of our peers. No need to rehash. It is nearly fact and must be recognized and lived with. CU must win and have exciting product to fill the stands every game. So if the football team, or basketball team throws out some poor early games, with lack of effort, fan interest drops.

As to Rick George, the boss. The difference between CU media/marketing effort of CU football and basketball is incredibly different. Wow.
How many people were buzzing and glued to their computers (AND TV Network) the nights the new edition of FB video was to be released. I saw no similar effort by CU on behalf of the basketball team.

Perceived lack of effort by basketball team (can be hard to fix)
Actual lack of effort by CUAD video and marketing for basketball team (easy to fix, ridiculous it went this way)
Leads to poor attendance.

And as someone pointed out.....BRAND NEW state of the art sound system at CEC? Supposed Bose company exhibition site? I can barely understand the PA announcer. Not impressed. CU needs a refund, or replacement, or serious tweaking.

CSU was no where near a sellout.
Fair enough, but by then there had been plenty of home games where the team may have won, but played horribly. Plus, the student section was fairly full for that game....it hasn't been since.

Bottom line, this team wasn't ready at the start of the year and still has games where they are napping. I will disagree with @CB17Cubed above when he says that Tad touted this as his best team. I actually think he said something quite different. That this team had a long way to go to even be a good team. Turns out he was right. I on the other hand was wrong, I was sunshine pumping last September and October....wait is there a way to delete those posts so I don't have to admit how wrong I was anymore?

Other people have said that winning cures everything, which is true. But I think the Buffs could dramatically increase attendance if the following three things happened:
1. Put a team on the floor that hustles and plays hard every night. I am a men's season ticket holder and haven't gone to a game in weeks. However, I have been attending the women's games and I don't have season tickets for them. Why? The women never look like they need a walker to get to a loose ball (Hi GMFK).
2. Put a team on the floor that shares the basketball. Offense is fun to watch and when the Buffs share like they did last night against Stanford, it is fun and could even counter some of the lack of effort problems.
3. @CB17Cubed made a good point about having the video department give these guys some love. It needs to happen a good month before the season starts, whether the football team is doing good or not. Marketing is crucial and there was crap for marketing on this team until about the middle of January and by then everyone knew the tourney was a long shot. Plus, as has been mentioned by others, in previous threads, the AD has stopped doing a lot of stuff that really drew student attendance.

The rest of the stuff about the arena, etc. Sure they would be nice, but I don't think those things would drive attendance for long by themselves.

it's not just about the winning.

Denver/Boulder area is a pro-sports town. the Nuggets are drawing 2x the attendance as the Buffs with double or more ticket prices and paid parking. Traveling into Denver is arguably worse than traveling into Boulder for most, so I don't think that's it. snow affects Boulder and Denver relatively equally, so that's not it.

The Buffs and the Pac12 need marketing to change the local mindset of "the only good spectator sports are those played by millionaires".

The intro montage is outdated, all last years highlights.
Need to get new players in front of the public.
More autograph sessions and chances for public to take pictures and meet team

They can't get the students to show up. That's on RG. The team is on Tad. I know I've been a bad fan this year, but I just can't get excited to drive up to Boulder to watch this team.

It was easy to cheer for the likes of Carlon Brown, Sean Harris Tunks, Spenser Dinwitty, Andre Robison, Sabatino Chin, Askia Booker, and Josh Scott. The joy of a Ben Mills appearance was undeniable.

This season I've had a hard time being emotionally invested. There hasn't been a consistency. This season has been tainted with failing to live up to expectations amongst the losing streaks, the suspensions, and the half hearted efforts.

It's too bad, too. Because the performance last night against Stanford was fun. So was beating Oregon at home. This offense can be fun, and much more watchable than grind-it-out on defense Tad Ball noteworthy for mostly turning the ball over too many times.

I fully expect Tad to bring back the passion against Cal and going into Las Vegas. A strong finish would do wonders for helping fill the Keg next season.

If attendance is a priority, then there sure isn't a case to hike ticket prices again.

I was there last night but have missed half of the season this year because of travel and family stuff. The little man and I had a fantastic time. The team was fun to watch and played a pretty exciting brand of bball. Wish this season would have been full of games with the effort they showed last night. Things would be different. More wins and more fans in the seats.

Back