What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dan Hawkins is a saint

Its funny/sad. Woelk was loved by most CU fans for sticking up for the program during the scandal. Now he's just a parrot for the CU admin. I bet he also drives a black Suburban and sends spys to the message boards. Meanwhile, everyone is falling in love with the likes of Woody and Kiszla for outwardly calling for Hawkins' firing.

It is sad that Woelk will not just come out and say that Dan Hawkins was a mistake. Someone has a little too much pride.

Its funny/sad. Woelk was loved by most CU fans for sticking up for the program during the scandal. Now he's just a parrot for the CU admin. I bet he also drives a black Suburban and sends spys to the message boards. Meanwhile, everyone is falling in love with the likes of Woody and Kiszla for outwardly calling for Hawkins' firing.

Maybe it is just that NW was right to stick up for the program during the "Scandal" and he's flat wrong to stick up for D II now. I still think Woody and Jiszla are scum sucking turds, but they happen to be right on their particular views of D II.

Maybe it is just that NW was right to stick up for the program during the "Scandal" and he's flat wrong to stick up for D II now. I still think Woody and Jiszla are scum sucking turds, but they happen to be right on their particular views of D II.

Since I don't regularly read NW, I can't really respond. Is he still sticking up for Hawkins?

It is sad that Woelk will not just come out and say that Dan Hawkins was a mistake. Someone has a little too much pride.

I don't think it's appropriate to classify Hawkins as a "mistake." Mistake implies bad judgment, ignorance, inattention, etc. I don't think there was anything wrong with the hiring. His record at the time was spectacular. It appeared to be a logical step on the path of a coach who was moving up the college football ranks. He was 180 degrees different from Gary Barnett, both on the field and off. For a school like Colorado to hire a coach like Dan Hawkins was certainly not unusual or out-of-the-ordinary.

To me, it is just easier, and more appropriate to say, for whatever reason, Dan Hawkins didn't work out. He didn't succeed. Regardless of the reason, what he had at Boise State has not translated to the University of Colorado. I know Hawkins has worked hard at CU and has tried to make his coaching tenure successful - it just didn't work. Time for everyone to just say "thank you" for your time and efforts at CU, and move on down the road.

I don't think it's appropriate to classify Hawkins as a "mistake." Mistake implies bad judgment, ignorance, inattention, etc. I don't think there was anything wrong with the hiring. His record at the time was spectacular. It appeared to be a logical step on the path of a coach who was moving up the college football ranks. He was 180 degrees different from Gary Barnett, both on the field and off. For a school like Colorado to hire a coach like Dan Hawkins was certainly not unusual or out-of-the-ordinary.

To me, it is just easier, and more appropriate to say, for whatever reason, Dan Hawkins didn't work out. He didn't succeed. Regardless of the reason, what he had at Boise State has not translated to the University of Colorado. I know Hawkins has worked hard at CU and has tried to make his coaching tenure successful - it just didn't work. Time for everyone to just say "thank you" for your time and efforts at CU, and move on down the road.

I think from afar it looked like a good hire but there were red flags that should of been considered. A person who I respect and was very close to the situation pointed out to me there were several concerns with Hawkins - lack of BCS level recruiting experience, lack of BCS coaching experience, lack of any coordinator experience in Division 1 - but that the people in power wanted him so bad they ignored those deficiencies. At the time I discounted his comments because I knew he is not a fan of Mike Bohn's but over time those comments kept coming back to me. So I think ignoring the warning signs was a big mistake.

I think from afar it looked like a good hire but there were red flags that should of been considered. A person who I respect and was very close to the situation pointed out to me there were several concerns with Hawkins - lack of BCS level recruiting experience, lack of BCS coaching experience, lack of any coordinator experience in Division 1 - but that the people in power wanted him so bad they ignored those deficiencies. At the time I discounted his comments because I knew he is not a fan of Mike Bohn's but over time those comments kept coming back to me. So I think ignoring the warning signs was a big mistake.

What was probably the biggest mistake, was the fact that Bohn singled in on Hawkins, and really did not interview or even consider any other candidates at all when he made the selection of Hawkins. If that is true, as has been reported, that Bohn singled in on ONE candidate, and only one candidate, THAT is a huge error.

What was probably the biggest mistake, was the fact that Bohn singled in on Hawkins, and really did not interview or even consider any other candidates at all when he made the selection of Hawkins. If that is true, as has been reported, that Bohn singled in on ONE candidate, and only one candidate, THAT is a huge error.

Which brings the question, can Bohn be trusted to make a sound decision and pick the right guy?

Which brings the question, can Bohn be trusted to make a sound decision and pick the right guy?
Based on his track record, I'd have to say no. Hopefully, he is getting some input from people who have solid experience evaluating coaches. Even if Mac isn't the choice, I would hope MB has the sense to tell him and solicit his input for the new guy. Hopefully, MB is tapping any other resources he has, other AD's, coaches, and not just Chucky Neinas to put together a list, review it, vet the candidates and make a good selection. Up until now, MB has whiffed at pretty much every major hire he has made, the jury still being out on Lappe and Boyle....

I don't think you can classify the Bzdelik hire as a whiff. Most of us are pretty optimistic about the chances for the basketball team this year, and he had a lot to do with that.

It's unfortunate that Woelk has turned into a mouthpiece for the AD, but I suppose I'd rather have an AD mouthpiece than a jackass like Kizla or Hendo covering the team. You can tell Woelk has an affinity for CU. You may not agree with him, but he's better than anybody else except for Patrick Ridgell, who isn't even in journalism anymore.

I'll grant you he was making progress...but did he have success? Not really, but that was because he did not stay around long enough, which is also hard to qualify as a success. Bad hire? Probably not...inability to keep him around long enough to realize that success= success? Probably not.

Last edited:
The hallmark of a successful boss is
1) Attract talent
2) Retain talent
3) Develop talent

When thinking about Bz and DH, Bohn is covering 2 out of 3.

Apparently Bohn believes it is "bush league" to fire a coach in mid season. I tend to agree with that. Listen, it is done. Over. Finished. Dan Hawkins will be gone on November 26th. 28 days. Exactly 4 weeks.

No, if it was over he'd be gone already. Specifically, November 27th of last year, when he should have been gone.

The bottom line of this article is that NW continues to be a Hawk apologist.

That is Bohn's MO on every coaching hire. Bzdelik was the only candidate. There is still a lot of ill will around Dal Ward due to McClain being pasted over in the MBB coaching search - even people inside the AD think Bohn is pretty strange in his hiring approaches. He falls in love with one candidate and that is it. More emotional than following a hiring process. And no I do not trust Mike Bohn to make a good hire and I am not alone in that thought...that is why Coach Mac is being shoved down his throat. There was no crying and gnashing of teeth when Kyle Ringo wrote the article about tying up Mike Bohn or he would go to KU. A lot in the CU administration thought they could live with that.

That is Bohn's MO on every coaching hire. Bzdelik was the only candidate. There is still a lot of ill will around Dal Ward due to McClain being pasted over in the MBB coaching search - even people inside the AD think Bohn is pretty strange in his hiring approaches. He falls in love with one candidate and that is it. More emotional than following a hiring process. And no I do not trust Mike Bohn to make a good hire and I am not alone in that thought...that is why Coach Mac is being shoved down his throat. There was no crying and gnashing of teeth when Kyle Ringo wrote the article about tying up Mike Bohn or he would go to KU. A lot in the CU administration thought they could live with that.

interesting about McClain. I liked Coach McClain a lot and he wasn't my first choice to succeed BZ but i could have lived with it. I think you could make a pretty good case he was at least as qualified as Boyle. The guy does have the NCAA tournament on his resume. and the same number of Dance wins as CU has in the last 35 years.

hell no he can't. the moron doesn't know how to learn from his mistakes.

mistake #1: picking one and ONLY one candidate to choose from in the coaching "search". picking dan hawkins and not giving any other candidates a fair chance. picking bzdelik and not even having other candidates interviewed. picking tad boyle and not even looking at other candidates. rumors are that he was locked in on calhoun earlier this year. maybe that changed cuz of air force's recent struggles.

mistake #2: waiting way too long to fire a terrible coach and then essentially telling the coach he is fired a year before actually doing it, leading to a totally wasted season. ricardo patton, dan hawkins...

the guy is as dumb as hawkins and that is why i really want him to hire mccartney. not because i think mccartney will lead us to another national title or anything, but because i am terrified that whoever bohnhead picks will end up being much, much worse than mac would be.

No, if it was over he'd be gone already. Specifically, November 27th of last year, when he should have been gone.

The bottom line of this article is that NW continues to be a Hawk apologist.
He isn't being a Hawk apologist. He's pointing out the issues that CU has and that a new coach will have to deal with.

Back