What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrel Scott wants back?

I say let the team make the call. They're the ones he quit on. Them and the coaching staff, but I think at this point the staff should be open to anything that might help this team win.

Whether DS on the team would help the team or just hurt the chemistry is something the team can decide. Let them set some conditions for him to come back if they want to give him a second chance at all. Kind of like an, I don't know, accountability group or something....

I say let the team make the call. They're the ones he quit on. Them and the coaching staff, but I think at this point the staff should be open to anything that might help this team win.

Whether DS on the team would help the team or just hurt the chemistry is something the team can decide. Let them set some conditions for him to come back if they want to give him a second chance at all. Kind of like an, I don't know, accountability group or something....

Accountability Groups? What a stupid idea. Sounds like something Hawk would come up with and implement only after miserably failing to control his players over his first few offseasons here.

Is this the same Irv Brown that said Munchie was definitely coming to CU two weeks before signing day?

I'm fine with Scott coming back if he earns his way back.

I don't think this is a decision the team needs to, or should, make. It's a decision the Head Coach makes. If Scott comes in and works hard and gets his act together, the team will come around. Sometimes kids can't see the forest for the trees. They're probably pissed at Scott, and for good reason. But in the long run, if he gives them all a better chance of winning, they'll forgive and move on. Like I said before, I don't really see a downside to this. If he's a distraction in the lockerroom, he'll ride the pine and won't see the field. So what have we lost?

Story was just confirmed on News4. All they said was that DS met with hawk and that he wants to come back. They also said that he's going to have to make good with the team and coaches first though.

I like DS, he just seemed like a confused kid. Make him work for it and apologize to the team and let him come back. I do agree that it's hard to see Hawk just giving it to him, he should have to work like Celestine did.

I believe in redemption, so I guess I would prefer that DS be given a chance to come back, work hard and succeed. Hawk undoubtedly is a redemption guy -- see K. Celestine -- and my guess is that, if DS is saying the right things and Hawk thinks he's sincere, they'll work something out. It certainly would be a great story if Scott could win back the trust of his coaches and teammates and lead CU to the promised land.

Having said that, I'm not very optimistic that he will ever live up to the expectations that come along with being a 5-star guy. Other than a couple of flashes, he really didn't show that much on the field. Yeah, yeah, he hurdled that guy two years ago, but he's got a pretty short highlight reel.

I believe in redemption, so I guess I would prefer that DS be given a chance to come back, work hard and succeed. Hawk undoubtedly is a redemption guy -- see K. Celestine -- and my guess is that, if DS is saying the right things and Hawk thinks he's sincere, they'll work something out. It certainly would be a great story if Scott could win back the trust of his coaches and teammates and lead CU to the promised land.

Having said that, I'm not very optimistic that he will ever live up to the expectations that come along with being a 5-star guy. Other than a couple of flashes, he really didn't show that much on the field. Yeah, yeah, he hurdled that guy two years ago, but he's got a pretty short highlight reel.

I agree with the redemption element of this. I don't know what feelings were hurt in the locker-room or what emotions accompanied DS's mid-year departure. But in a perfect world, the team welcomes the young man back and DS earns their reception through hard work and dedication.

Where I disagree with the above post is that I believe DS can still achieve his advertised awesomeness. I think it's in there, and under the right circumstances (hard work, an O-line, coaching and a little luck) it could escape for the feel-good story of the (new) decade. I like that kid.

I hope you're right, Walrus. It would certainly change the Buffs' prospects if Scott comes back and performs at the level that was originally advertised. If he works it out with Hawk (and, presumably, with Hagan), and commits himself the way Celestine apparently has, the Buffs' prospects would brighten up considerably. I'm just not convinced DS is going to take personal responsibility for doing what it will take to succeed.

I think there's a good chance he comes back, but

Plati is quoted in today's Longmont paper, saying that as of Mon night DS and DH had not met.

This reeks of desperation on both sides. Cut him loose for good and stick with Speedy. What more does THAT guy have to do to prove his worth to the team?

I'm not sure which is worse, DS quitting on his team or being kicked off the team for something else. Assault, DUI, drug possesion are a few things that come to mind. Yes, everyone deserves a 2nd chance. Anyway, it sounds like a hard dose of reality has smacked DS squarely in the head. Since his arrival, from what I've seen out of DS, even if they allow him to come back, I'm not sure he if he has the kind of motivation and work ethic to even work his way into a back-up role? As someone pointed out earlier, Kendrick Celestine would be a great example of what it would take DS to accomplish a return to the Buffs, but I still have my doubts. As DBT pointed out it could lead to some team chemistry issues. Hawkins has his 1st off season issue to deal with and it won't be an easy decision for him.

At this point I believe Hawkins has to do a lot to retain the fans. Part of the reason he hasn't said much, if anything, this offseason. I think that he would almost be obligated to take DS back in order to have the fans fill the seats again.

As far as I know, Scott isnt enrolled in classes this semester, which I believe means he cannot participate in Spring Ball (since he isnt a student, technically) and he would also be ineligible next fall until he can get his credit count up. Let the kid come back, let him earn the trust/respect of the team back. Let him play!

I say let DS back in.....but with the idea that he needs to earn/show that he wants to come back and play. Dont make it easy for him, make him work his ass off to prove that he wants to play in the B&G....

There's been rumors he wanted back, but your post is the most concrete thing I've heard, at least...

Watson should be a very good WR coach. He was a guy who made his living on technique and route running, hopefully he could pass it along. The big question would be if he could recruit...
Steve Watson lived behind my jr. high school and would spend afternoons teaching any one who wanted to learn how to run routes. Really good guy.

If Scott were invited back into the program, he could play or redshirt during the 2010 season. The NCAA allows a "missed term exception" for every student-athlete one time during their careers. That would mean that Scott could take summer school classes later this season and likely make enough progress toward his degree to be academically eligible for the Buffaloes' 2010 season.

wow

I personally think it would be a mistake for him to play in 2010. He needs a redshirt year to get his head screwed on properly. He would have had to sit out a year somewhere else anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue. It would give him the proper time to set his priorities and work ethic.

I personally think it would be a mistake for him to play in 2010. He needs a redshirt year to get his head screwed on properly. He would have had to sit out a year somewhere else anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue. It would give him the proper time to set his priorities and work ethic.

I agree. This should be part of the requirment if he wants to come back. I still believe that DS will be a great player. A full year and a half to have that leg healed and to learn the playbook would be a huge plus.

I agree with the redemption element of this. I don't know what feelings were hurt in the locker-room or what emotions accompanied DS's mid-year departure. But in a perfect world, the team welcomes the young man back and DS earns their reception through hard work and dedication.

Where I disagree with the above post is that I believe DS can still achieve his advertised awesomeness. I think it's in there, and under the right circumstances (hard work, an O-line, coaching and a little luck) it could escape for the feel-good story of the (new) decade. I like that kid.

Strike four - ouch.

Steve Watson lived behind my jr. high school and would spend afternoons teaching any one who wanted to learn how to run routes. Really good guy.
I know him to be a bit of an A-Hole to neighbors... but as far as a WR coach, I'm ok with it

Steve Watson is probably over qualified to be a coach in Boulder. He has 10 years of NFL experience with most of that coaching WRs. Shannahan thought enough of him to make him Associate HC while with the broncos. Looks like he was out of football last year. He lives in Cherry Hills still so it may be a good one year fit for him.

I'm not holding my breath on Watson being the WR coach however. I just don't see it happening.

Back