What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini hired!!!

When someone can quite easily and off the top of their head name a recruit that an assistant from another team, in another conference, won a serious recruiting battle for, it's generally safe to assume that there has been more than one.

Unless you're a douchebag troll, in which case there is literally no evidence that will convince you to not **** in the punch bowl.
Ok....**** you! I said I like the hire. Being an ex buff myself, I like to see them come back. Also being honest we have been talking about upgrading our staff and I am looking for proof this is an upgrade (emotions aside). I like his upside, just curious if this is an automatic upgrade! We wanted true P5 coaches and 2 years as an assistant ST and outside WR (what is that by the way) at Texas Tech and a history in the juco ranks doesn't show me true P5 abilities. I want him to succeed, and rock and recruit! Just looking for true results

Ok....**** you! I said I like the hire. Being an ex buff myself, I like to see them come back. Also being honest we have been talking about upgrading our staff and I am looking for proof this is an upgrade (emotions aside). I like his upside, just curious if this is an automatic upgrade! We wanted true P5 coaches and 2 years as an assistant ST and outside WR (what is that by the way) at Texas Tech and a history in the juco ranks doesn't show me true P5 abilities. I want him to succeed, and rock and recruit! Just looking for true results
"OK so one?" = sarcastic douchebag troll response, and was what I was responding to.

Might want to try something like "I'm assuming there's more than one, who are they?"

"OK so one?" = sarcastic douchebag troll response, and was what I was responding to.

Might want to try something like "I'm assuming there's more than one, who are they?"
Many were talking about a recruiting bump. I was wondering what I missed assuming he had some huge recruits at TT. If so many thought this was a upgrade I was looking for proof and didn't think it would be that difficult to name players he recruited. Many on here know more then me about that stuff. I was expecting a significant response, instead of one name.

Many were talking about a recruiting bump. I was wondering what I missed assuming he had some huge recruits at TT. If so many thought this was a upgrade I was looking for proof and didn't think it would be that difficult to name players he recruited. Many on here know more then me about that stuff. I was expecting a significant response, instead of one name.
I (and others) misread your response, and there are a few people on this board (cough bigjim* cough) who specialize in minimizing good things the current Colorado coaching/administration regime do (i.e. hiring Chiaverini). Within that context it was easy to read the response as sarcasm rather than a request for more information.

Chiaverini has recruiting chops. For the moment you'll have to trust the AllBuffs consensus of opinion on that. Now that I know you were truly looking for information, I'll try and find time to do a rivals search tomorrow and see which of TT's & UCLA's recruits he was in on.

Edit: @KUBuff beat me to it. See below for the "documentable" evidence available re: recruiting.

*plus a few others...

Last edited:
And many expect that fellow denizens of the internets would realize how simple it would be to search for such "significant" information yourself instead of charging others with doing it for you.

As such, many will likely assume that you are making a rhetorical statement by repeating such a question for hours, now, when you could have found it out quite a while ago. This accompanied by the sardonic "Ok so one" comment might help you out if you're wondering why few were willing to assist you in your tireless efforts to ostensibly support the latest addition to the Colorado Buffaloes coaching staff.

The answer to your question is that in three years Chiaverrini has four recruits to his credit. Not many, but high caliber at his position, with two essentially four-star receivers in the last two years (and two middle-ground o-linemen two years ago, showing an ability at a position of need), though this is not exhaustive by any means, as every recruit has a main recruiter, yet only about 15% of profiles will list this information. But... Tony Brown was a huge steal last year, and is probably why people are valuing his recruitment potential as highly as they are. We wanted him badly, DC pulled him away from us at the end of the recruiting cycle. The other is TJ Vasher, a four star from this class.

Both of these players are more highly rated than any WR that Walters had recruited since he arrived here. Huntley and Fields were the highest over that period of time, but they were recruited by Tumpkin and Clark, respectively. However, Walters brought in Lynott (possible that he didn't have to do much recruiting there) and Patrick Carr (we basically fell into this situation after Brown spurned Walters for TT).

Perhaps it was ultimately a "push" as their numbers are similar over the same period, but if Darrin pulls in a four star receiver for us in the next 18 months, and we have receivers not named Spruce or Fields decide to catch a ****ing pass over that period of time, I'm prepared to call it a massive, raging win.

And many expect that fellow denizens of the internets would realize how simple it would be to search for such "significant" information yourself instead of charging others with doing it for you.

As such, many will likely assume that you are making a rhetorical statement by repeating such a question for hours, now, when you could have found it out quite a while ago. This accompanied by the sardonic "Ok so one" comment might help you out if you're wondering why few were willing to assist you in your tireless efforts to ostensibly support the latest addition to the Colorado Buffaloes coaching staff.

The answer to your question is that in three years Chiaverrini has four recruits to his credit. Not many, but high caliber at his position, with two essentially four-star receivers in the last two years (and two middle-ground o-linemen two years ago, showing an ability at a position of need), though this is not exhaustive by any means, as every recruit has a main recruiter, yet only about 15% of profiles will list this information. But... Tony Brown was a huge steal last year, and is probably why people are valuing his recruitment potential as highly as they are. We wanted him badly, DC pulled him away from us at the end of the recruiting cycle. The other is TJ Vasher, a four star from this class.

Both of these players are more highly rated than any WR that Walters had recruited since he arrived here. Huntley and Fields were the highest over that period of time, but they were recruited by Tumpkin and Clark, respectively. However, Walters brought in Lynott (possible that he didn't have to do much recruiting there) and Patrick Carr (we basically fell into this situation after Brown spurned Walters for TT).

Perhaps it was ultimately a "push" as their numbers are similar over the same period, but if Darrin pulls in a four star receiver for us in the next 18 months, and we have receivers not named Spruce or Fields decide to catch a ****ing pass over that period of time, I'm prepared to call it a massive, raging win.
Sweet. Unfortunately I have been on the roads of Denver today and anyone who was in town today knows what **** we had to deal with. I was assuming it's wouldn't be that hard for someone to speak the truth about what he had done. Like I said I like him, I like the hire. I want upgrades in our staff. Just looking for facts that this is an upgrade. His passion is obviously high, but passion alone doent get it done. Thanks for the info, didn't want anyone doing my work for me, just not able to get to laptop to do it myself. Thanks!

Sweet. Unfortunately I have been on the roads of Denver today and anyone who was in town today knows what **** we had to deal with. I was assuming it's wouldn't be that hard for someone to speak the truth about what he had done. Like I said I like him, I like the hire. I want upgrades in our staff. Just looking for facts that this is an upgrade. His passion is obviously high, but passion alone doent get it done. Thanks for the info, didn't want anyone doing my work for me, just not able to get to laptop to do it myself. Thanks!

One thing that makes it more challenging is that the publisher for the Texas Tech Rivals site is one of the worst at uncovering who the lead recruiter was for a kid and putting that in his profile. I just pulled up the 4 WRs in this year's class and only 4* Vasher had a recruiter listed (DC got him - I posted something in Vasher's profile thread on AB regarding that). Reading some of the reactions of Tech fans to the Chiaverini news, it seems like DC was the lead on Derrick Willies (#1 juco WR; #3 overall) and they were worried this could cause them to lose him.

Last edited:
I (and others) misread your response, and there are a few people on this board (cough bigjim* cough) who specialize in minimizing good things the current Colorado coaching/administration regime do (i.e. hiring Chiaverini). Within that context it was easy to read the response as sarcasm rather than a request for more information.
Clearly you were that guy/gal that spent more time skiing than going to class. I for one am very excited about the Chiv hire and I've read very few if any posts that by people that are not excited. It is fair to wonder if Chiv will be an automatic improvement over Walters as Walters was a good coach and recruiter. But all things considered, Chiv is a pretty exciting hire.

BTW, it is pretty pussy to hide behind "and others". Man up and own your own convictions, don't pawn them off on others.

Last edited:
One thing that makes it more challenging is that the publisher for the Texas Tech Rivals site is one of the worst at uncovering who the lead recruiter was for a kid and putting that in his profile. I just pulled up the 4 WRs in this year's class and only 4* Vasher had a recruiter listed (DC got him - I posted something in Vasher's profile thread on AB regarding that). Reading some of the reactions of Tech fans to the Chiaverini news, it seems like DC was the lead on Derrick Willies (#1 juco WR; #3 overall) and they were worried this could cause them to lose him.
I'm interested!

He's the best case scenario, and I like his potential - air raid (we see how well that worked in Norman with a younger guy in a big slot on that staff). As far as a recruiter, potential. Yes, he took tony brown from us, but I wouldn't put him in the Leavitt/Tumpkin category yet. Anybody can get talent out of socal with effort - james Coley got the presumptive 2017 number 1 pick in Kaaya to go to Miami. Coley is known as a south Florida guy.

It strikes me that DC will be a better recruiter of S. Calif and I hope they use him to recruit all positions, since Bernardi has evidently retired. I think you will see more production across the board with DC, with a push into SoCal.

I think we'd all be pleased to hear that, but source? Howell says 1-2 more changes on top of Darrin coming back and the strength move.

I think we'd all be pleased to hear that, but source? Howell says 1-2 more changes on top of Darrin coming back and the strength move.

Out of the OL/DL/STC/OC/RB there are essentially five non-recruiters on the staff. Lindgren appears to be safe per MacIntyre's quotes today. That leaves four guys that could easily be upgraded to fill the 1-2 changes. Out of the four that should be under intense review, none of them appear to be the obvious 1-2 guys Howell cites.

Very nice! Sounds like a decent recruiter and he has the fire no doubt.
When you think about the fire he has recruiting for Texas Tech, and then multiply that times his love for CU and Boulder....it is going to be a very good thing for the Buffs. I also think that if he helps the offense get back on track that that has to be a huge thing for CU next year to win some games and get a real shot at a bowl.

A side thought: I do think that Mac thinks that BL will get a shot at a lower level head coach job in the next year or two, and making Chiv the co-OC might be a head start on getting the next OC in place so there isn't a gap in recruiting to a new OCs offense. Which I think is a good plan, if it is actually the plan (and not a wild-assed supposition on my part.)

Very pleased to see Chaiverini coming back to town. Have to give mm credit for getting it done. Now we just a couple more staff improvements and we might be on to something.

Yes, cannot be done yet. The OL was once again a hot mess and I think we need help there. Seems to be too hard to bring in great guys, seem to get one decent to good one and then some reaches. That's recruiting and that's on Bernardi.

I like Jeffcoat, I don't think he is a bad coach. But once again, seems to be a liability in recruiting. And I cannot think it has to be a hard thing to get a similarly good coach that is a much better recruiter. That said, he is behind Bernardi and my number one target on the coaching hit list at CU.

Of course, that is Toby. And you cannot in any way keep TN. Just no way. I will be firmly convinced that Chuck has some sort of bribe going or blackmail on CU if they keep TN again. Which I am ok with as long as he is in charge of filling Gatorade bottles or something. No way you have Chiv on the staff and let TN run the ST.

And I hope they are right.

Out of the OL/DL/STC/OC/RB there are essentially five non-recruiters on the staff. Lindgren appears to be safe per MacIntyre's quotes today. That leaves four guys that could easily be upgraded to fill the 1-2 changes. Out of the four that should be under intense review, none of them appear to be the obvious 1-2 guys Howell cites.
I think Bernardi and Nienas appear to be the obvious 1-2 guys.

I don't think I could formulate a reasonable argument that either Neinas or Bernardi did an acceptable job this season and that I could support either remaining on staff.

I don't think I could formulate a reasonable argument that either Neinas or Bernardi did an acceptable job this season and that I could support either remaining on staff.

There is certainly no justifying Neinas' performance. My first instinct on Bernadri was to blame the injuries and the quality of the lineman he was working with. Then I thought back to the Hawaii game where the starting 5 were completely unprepared to deal with any simple stunt the Hawaii DL pulled. It's like they had never had to do anything other than straight up blocking. There was no excuse for that. Plus he's recruiting dead weight.

Clearly you were that guy/gal that spent more time skiing than going to class. I for one am very excited about the Chiv hire and I've read very few if any posts that by people that are not excited. It is fair to wonder if Chiv will be an automatic improvement over Walters as Walters was a good coach and recruiter. But all things considered, Chiv is a pretty exciting hire.

BTW, it is pretty ***** to hide behind "and others". Man up and own your own convictions, don't pawn them off on others.
"And others" wasn't hiding behind jack ****, it was a hat tip to the posters who "liked" my original post thereby indicating that they interpreted Buff14's comment the same way I did and agreed with my reaction.

I'm glad you like the hire and can occasionally acknowledge when MM makes a good decision. You've even been able to recently admit that your man Embree was in over his head. Baby steps...

Over the last two off seasons, we see MikeMac holding coaches accountable and an increased emphasis on recruiting. I'm pretty sure that's what we've all wanted. Too bad it didn't come sooner, but at least it's coming now. He recognized his strategy of finding under recruited guys and coaching them up is failing miserably, and has now moved to what I hope is a recruit-first philosophy.

PS It sounds like Neinas will be shown the door, but that situation from the beginning was ridiculous. I don't care about daddy's connections. Whoever forced Neinas on MikeMac made a horrible decision.

I like the hire and think he has potential to be a great recruiter, but I also don't understand why everyone is making him out to be an ace recruiter. According to 247 he is the number 594 national recruiter, which makes him essentially unranked in the Big 12 and would barely be top 100 in the pac 12 - mind you, he isnt even in the top 5 on his own staff. To put this in perspective, Walters was ranked 316 with his last two classes being (lynott, huntlley, carr, rakestraw, taylor and Jan). Maybe it is the lack of reporting by the various sites, but still, i think we should be more excited about Chiaverini's potential and passion for buffs football rather than considering the actual players he has has recruited. Tony Brown was a stud and vasher has 4* but let's not forget that shay fields also had 4* and nobody on this board thinks that Walters was blowing off the roof w/ his recruiting abilities.

I think the recruiting ability is a wash, but context is important here. Chiaverini has the ties to So Cal we desperately need right now. You cannot win in the Pac-12 without recruiting effectively in So Cal.

I like the hire and think he has potential to be a great recruiter, but I also don't understand why everyone is making him out to be an ace recruiter. According to 247 he is the number 594 national recruiter, which makes him essentially unranked in the Big 12 and would barely be top 100 in the pac 12 - mind you, he isnt even in the top 5 on his own staff. To put this in perspective, Walters was ranked 316 with his last two classes being (lynott, huntlley, carr, rakestraw, taylor and Jan). Maybe it is the lack of reporting by the various sites, but still, i think we should be more excited about Chiaverini's potential and passion for buffs football rather than considering the actual players he has has recruited. Tony Brown was a stud and vasher has 4* but let's not forget that shay fields also had 4* and nobody on this board thinks that Walters was blowing off the roof w/ his recruiting abilities.
It's not just his track record of winning recruiting battles for P5 recruits, but also the areas he has been successful in. He brings a strong presence to Texas and SoCal that the Buffs just haven't had.

Also, for me, his knowledge and experience in the passing game is just as exciting.

That same site would say Leavitt ranks 565th and 85th in the Pac-12 and Tumpkin 595th and 89th in the Pac-12. Not something you should go off to judge someone's recruiting ability. Also Shay Fields was not a 4-star except on Rivals, he was only a composite 86.

Bad reporting. Walters was not the main recruiter on Huntley, Rakestraw or Jan. Chiaverini brought in Vasher and a huge JUCO receiver today as well (just this year).

He got the #1 JC WR in the country to sign with TT, so yeah, I'll take my chances with him as our recruiting coordinator.

Did you read what fathers of the players and some of his recruits had to say about him? And his post about "timid and weak" returning to CU....dude has got it together....still out there recruiting hard for TTECH while in transition. Good dude. Walters was good...but DC seems like he has a passion missing that, along with Leavitt, will elevate play.

Back