What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dave Doeren: 2012 Colorado Coaching Search Profile

What sticks out about him the most? Only 2 years at HC concerns me. I'm getting the feeling that he is our next coach.

Last edited:
What sticks out about him the most? Only 2 years at HC concerns me. I'm getting the feeling that he is our next coach.

Haven't both Reed Marks and Henderson said that the AD is looking at a coach in an AQ? Doeren wouldn't fit the criteria. Though that rumor could be completely false.

Haven't both Reed Marks and Henderson said that the AD is looking at a coach in an AQ? Doeren wouldn't fit the criteria. Though that rumor could be completely false.

Jones may have been that AQ coach. But if things have gone south with him, then maybe they are on to the next man up.

I like Doeren as well. Doeren or Deruyter would be good with me, and if they can pull my man crush Bob Stitt with them, then I will be happy

I like Doeren as well. Doeren or Deruyter would be good with me, and if they can pull my man crush Bob Stitt with them, then I will be happy

I agree. I might lean more towards DeRuyter for his CA ties.

Stitt has been linked to Doeren on the rumor wires.

Seems like a guy with a bunch of concerns and a bunch of upside. I would rather get Deruyter or MacIntyre I think

I like Deruyter, but he has less experience as a head coach, and less experience as a BCS coordinator than Doeren does. The advantage he does have is his ties to California.

Doeren would have been a good hire 2 years ago. He's a much better one now.

A lot of concerns. He coaches at Northern Illinois, can he win the recruiting battles against other coaches in the Pac 12? Do we really want to compete for the Pac 12 title with hiring Doeren?

A lot of concerns. He coaches at Northern Illinois, can he win the recruiting battles against other coaches in the Pac 12? Do we really want to compete for the Pac 12 title with hiring Doeren?

Well, he was recruiting coordinator at Kansas. He's a good recruiter and KU really built through the Dallas area. That's key for CU. Hire Stitt and you've got CO covered. Just need to hire some CA assistants and another TX guy or two.

Anyway, I think that the regional thing is way overblown. Would anyone turn down Saban if he wanted to come here because he hasn't coached in the west? Did Urban struggle at Florida because his background was the upper midwest and Utah? I'm not sure it's relevant. College football has become a national sport.

Well, he was recruiting coordinator at Kansas. He's a good recruiter and KU really built through the Dallas area. That's key for CU. Hire Stitt and you've got CO covered. Just need to hire some CA assistants and another TX guy or two.

Anyway, I think that the regional thing is way overblown. Would anyone turn down Saban if he wanted to come here because he hasn't coached in the west? Did Urban struggle at Florida because his background was the upper midwest and Utah? I'm not sure it's relevant. College football has become a national sport.

I think a lot of us still have "bottle shock" from the Hawkins hire. Coach as a smaller school does well, ready for the big time. We've been burned before.

I don't see Doeren winning a lot of recruiting battles against Mora, kiffin and the rest of Pac 12. We need to make a bigger splash to bridge the gap in recruiting. The biggest problem CU has is talent and depth. No coach can win with the current depth and talent at CU. I just have to disagree, a combination of Doeren and Stitt at CU doesn't excite me.

I think a lot of us still have "bottle shock" from the Hawkins hire. Coach as a smaller school does well, ready for the big time. We've been burned before.

Yeah. But Hawkins had never been a coordinator or worked in a BCS conference. Completely different guy than Doeren.

Yeah. But Hawkins had never been a coordinator or worked in a BCS conference. Completely different guy than Doeren.

The reasons Bohn hired Hawk were mostly correct. You can't be afraid to trust your analysis just because of one failure. Hiring coaches is not a science

I think it's unfair to compare Doeren to Hawkins. Hawk's major college football exposure was Boise State and that's it. Doeren has exposure at numerous BCS schools.

I think it's unfair to compare Doeren to Hawkins. Hawk's major college football exposure was Boise State and that's it. Doeren has exposure at numerous BCS schools.

Not necessarily comparing the resume of Doeren and Hawkins, just the type of hire.

Hawkins had ZERO BCS experience anywhere. He had never been an assistant coach or even a GA at a BCS school.

Doreen has lots if BCS experience. He was involved in Mangino's building project at KU. He was defensive coordinator at Wisconsin.

Comparing Hawkins to Doreen is apples to oranges.

The reasons Bohn hired Hawk were mostly correct. You can't be afraid to trust your analysis just because of one failure. Hiring coaches is not a science

+1. Hawkins should be an unpopular coach, but not necessarily an unpopular hire. The only similarity between Doeren and Hawkins is that they both took over winning programs (BSU had Dirk Koetter and NIU had Jerry Kill respectively). However, unlike Hawk, Doeren has a much deeper resume, having been an assistant coach at two BCS schools, including DC at Wisconsin.

EDIT: Bad reading comprehension...Slade & Burglar, already stated my point. :silvercup:

Last edited:
I don't see Doeren winning a lot of recruiting battles against Mora, kiffin and the rest of Pac 12. We need to make a bigger splash to bridge the gap in recruiting. The biggest problem CU has is talent and depth. No coach can win with the current depth and talent at CU. I just have to disagree, a combination of Doeren and Stitt at CU doesn't excite me.
bb, you have a legitimate concern. My feeling on it is that recruiting is as much on the assistants as it is the head coach, who is pretty much "the closer". The concern shouldn't be so much can Doeren go toe-to-toe with Kiffin, Kelly, et al, but rather can his staff go toe-to-toe with the USC or Oregon staffs. Nik is correct in that college football has become a national sport. That said, I think an important factor in recruiting success (not the only or overriding one necessarily) is the presence of pipelines and previous relationships. Those can be overcome, but they can be a big factor. My concern, should we choose Doeren, or any of the names we are seeing right now, is that he puts together that is good at x's and o's, as well as a staff that is able to cast an effective recruiting web over Colorado, California, Arizona, and Texas.

Last edited:
Back