What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dave Logan to csu?

Thats a nice downpayment. However, like Sackman, I wish they had waited until they had around $70 Million raised before going public. Pretty interesting to me that the University has been able to raise that amount to date without any publicity or campaign to raise cash. This has clearly been in the works for a while.

I'm surprised they have $30MM committed, to be honest. I think the timing of the conference realignments has them going public with their capital campaign sooner than they would have liked. I wonder if Graham was the head of the capital campaign.

I wish them luck. I'd love to get that game out of Denver. It'll be interesting to see what kind of facility they put in up there.

I really hope this new stadium gets dropped right in the middle of the practice fields, next to the IPF and to a remodeled Moby. Students could literally roll out of bed, leave their dorms and head to a football game.

There won't be a new stadium.

I'm surprised they have $30MM committed, to be honest. I think the timing of the conference realignments has them going public with their capital campaign sooner than they would have liked. I wonder if Graham was the head of the capital campaign.

I wish them luck. I'd love to get that game out of Denver. It'll be interesting to see what kind of facility they put in up there.

It better be a 40,000 seat stadium to start with the ability to expand to 50,000 quickly. To me that is the minimum requirement if CSU ever wants any chance of making it into a BCS conference.

This is all positive. Maybe this will light a fire under our AD's *** to raise money for the massive improvements we sorely need. The time is now for the AD to lay out the plan to tackle our deficiencies. The arms race in the PAC is in full force!

As far as CSU is concerned they are fighting for their life and they came out swinging. Move down a division or position themselves for an invite in a big boy conference. Either **** or get off the pot. Looks to me like they are willing to take a dump anywhere to be included. Reminds me of...

This is all positive. Maybe this will light a fire under our AD's *** to raise money for the massive improvements we sorely need. The time is now for the AD to lay out the plan to tackle our deficiencies. The arms race in the PAC is in full force!

As far as CSU is concerned they are fighting for their life and they came out swinging. Move down a division or position themselves for an invite in a big boy conference. Either **** or get off the pot. Looks to me like they are willing to take a dump anywhere to be included. Reminds me of...

It looks to me like the merger with Conference USA will buy CSU a small amount of time, especially with some of the proposed changes coming to the BCS (i.e. removal of "AQ" designations). The next five years are going to be criticial.

I don't like CSU because of the ****** way they treat CU fans and our school (I will never forgive them for stomping on Ralphie or the CU sucks banner) but if they can pull it off good for them. I think it will be hard getting the other 70 - 120 million though. I'm sure the $30 million they've already raised has tapped a lot of the big donors already and we all know how the average alumnus supports their team.

It looks to me like the merger with Conference USA will buy CSU a small amount of time, especially with some of the proposed changes coming to the BCS (i.e. removal of "AQ" designations). The next five years are going to be criticial.

It seems to me you have a good start. There is some money lined up, plans in place and an administration that seems to understand the urgency. If I were you I would be pretty excited.

It better be a 40,000 seat stadium to start with the ability to expand to 50,000 quickly. To me that is the minimum requirement if CSU ever wants any chance of making it into a BCS conference.

One thing that I really hope they keep in mind is that they do not need a huge parking lot surrounding the stadium. Like you say - just plunk it right in the middle of campus and utilize the regular campus lots on gamedays.

CSU does not put people in the stands for the CU game. What did they sell, maybe 15k in tickets to it. They average less than 20k for games at their current craptastic stadium. Why would they possibly think that 40 or 50,000 fans would suddenly show up for games in a new stadium?

That column is nearly 2 years old at this point. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there has been a lot of work done in the meantime to achieve that goal. Keep in mind that there are always public and non-public phases of any legitimate capital campaign. The non-public phase is the most important, because it is always at the beginning. Benson is a fundraising monster, and Bohn isn't terrible at it himself. I'm confident that they're putting something together, we just don't know what it is yet.

One thing that I really hope they keep in mind is that they do not need a huge parking lot surrounding the stadium. Like you say - just plunk it right in the middle of campus and utilize the regular campus lots on gamedays.

Exactly! I have been reading things from some fans complaining about the parking! Are you freaking kidding me? Who cares! Build the damn thing, utilize on-campus lots, sidestreets, etc. and start to design a more long term solution with vertical parking ramps within walking distance of the stadium if neccessary. Plus you could utlize some of the the lots downtown and run shuttles back and forth from Old Town. Parking to me should be the least of anyones concerns right now.

I really hope this new stadium gets dropped right in the middle of the practice fields, next to the IPF and to a remodeled Moby. Students could literally roll out of bed, leave their dorms and head to a football game.

Baker & Libby Hall FTMFW. Having Folsom closer to your dorm room than the Wollenburg VD clinic is a treasured CU memory.

CSU does not put people in the stands for the CU game. What did they sell, maybe 15k in tickets to it. They average less than 20k for games at their current craptastic stadium. Why would they possibly think that 40 or 50,000 fans would suddenly show up for games in a new stadium?

A lot of reasons. First, it's hard to be too harsh on the CSU people for not going to the Denver game. That atmosphere is toxic. I have probably gone to my last game there myself. It sucks. Who wants to drive into Denver and deal with the DPD in full riot gear and nightsticks? Second, their current stadium also sucks. No atmosphere. It's hard for fans to get there. There are no services nearby. The students are not connected to the program. There's very little community buy-in. A big reason we still get 50K to come watch games at Folsom is because it's a great place to watch a football game. It's a great atmosphere, and the game itself is just one part of the whole experience. They don't have a "whole experience" to offer at CSU, so all they have left is their football program - ouch.

They'll put more people into an on-campus stadium than they ever did at Hughes. I have very little doubt of that.

Exactly! I have been reading things from some fans complaining about the parking! Are you freaking kidding me? Who cares! Build the damn thing, utilize on-campus lots, sidestreets, etc. and start to design a more long term solution with vertical parking ramps within walking distance of the stadium if neccessary. Plus you could utlize some of the the lots downtown and run shuttles back and forth from Old Town. Parking to me should be the least of anyones concerns right now.

Yes. One thing to keep in mind is that students won't be parking anymore.

Boulder utilizes a lot of shuttles and buses to get people to the stadium. Even shuttles from outlying parking lots.

Building a new stadium in Fort Collins would cost at least $100 million and would likely cost $150-200 million in the end. But Graham insists this monumental project is feasible and it will be done completely with private funding.But can it be done?
A source with knowledge of the athletic department's inner workings said a group of donors—who were not Fairchild fans and stopped donating when Sonny Lubick was fired—has already raised $30 million towards a this enormous effort.

Long ways to go. Looooong ways to go. Especially considering you can't even raise 4.5 mil to pay for upgrades to your arena.

I drove through FC the other day on my way to freeze my ass off and cut down a Christmas tree.

Just looking around, where exactly would CSU be building this 'on-campus' stadium?

I know that CSU's campus isn't like CU's, but I don't think there's much space to put a large stadium, and everything that goes with it.

Not to mention that Fort Collins is a friggen driving nightmare no matter where you go. The only way they could count on folks making the drive up from Denver would be to put it east of town.

TCF bank stadium cost 288.5 million. it seats 50k.
Interesting, if $288.5MM gets you 50,000 seats, the goats could do that on campus stadium pretty easy. That is $5770 per seat, since the goats only need 17,000 seats, they could build that sucker for about $98,000,000. Totally doable for goat fan....

It doesn't make any sense. $30 million in less then 6 months. No way

The University's first capital fundraising campaign was huge sucess. Almost $500MM in 3 years.: http://www.campaign.colostate.edu/index.aspx

It can be done and with the President finally acknowledging that athletics is a partial lense through which many view the academic credibility of the University, I am hopeful a similar capital campaign will get this on-campus stadium project done.

I drove through FC the other day on my way to freeze my ass off and cut down a Christmas tree.

Just looking around, where exactly would CSU be building this 'on-campus' stadium?

I know that CSU's campus isn't like CU's, but I don't think there's much space to put a large stadium, and everything that goes with it.

Not to mention that Fort Collins is a friggen driving nightmare no matter where you go. The only way they could count on folks making the drive up from Denver would be to put it east of town.

There's a lot of space where the practice fields are and to the East of the Rec Center. They could put it where their vet school is, too. There's a ton of space there. It's not right on campus, but it's across the street, sorta.

What is this "everything that goes with it" that you're referring to? Folsom sits by itself. It's just a stadium and a fieldhouse.

There's a lot of space where the practice fields are and to the East of the Rec Center. They could put it where their vet school is, too. There's a ton of space there. It's not right on campus, but it's across the street, sorta.

I hope they avoid the Vet School area. Put the thing right on campus at the practice fields and make it an athletic complex connected to AD administrative buildings, Moby, the IPF and the Rec Center. Call it the McGraw Complex.

I had McGraw complex once, but the doc gave me some antibiotic ointment and it cleared right up....

I hope they avoid the Vet School area. Put the thing right on campus at the practice fields and make it an athletic complex connected to AD administrative buildings, Moby, the IPF and the Rec Center. Call it the McGraw Complex.

I agree that right on campus is ideal. They have the space. Just have to get a little creative. Might have to take up some of the practice fields and close off a street or two.

The goats paid Sunny with a Jelly of the Month Club certificate, and now they are on the cusp building a new stadium? Doubtful.

The goats paid Sunny with a Jelly of the Month Club certificate, and now they are on the cusp building a new stadium? Doubtful.

If they can pull it off, it bodes well for what we want to do at CU.

I agree that right on campus is ideal. They have the space. Just have to get a little creative. Might have to take up some of the practice fields and close off a street or two.

Meridian could be turned into an access street or just torn out all together. Lake Street on the back side of the dorms basically serves the same purpoes (i.e. access to Shields).

Back