What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dave Plati's future

The irony is that I'm not exactly the picture of a perfect physique myself. I'm bald, fat, middle aged and have bad skin. So what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Your ears are also kind of a funny shape, but that's really not the point. You and I and most everyone here has a little different perspective. We all "know" each other. It's like insulting your friends when we comment on FC's ginormous melon, Darth's diminutive stature, Rugged's freakish tallness, or your Gollum-esque bald head. What Plati sees is a bunch of people he doesn't know calling him fat, and it's not something he finds funny. Everyone is going to have their own take on how people "should" react in that situation, but if that's how he chooses to react, it does kind of help to explain why he might not be a big fan of what we do here (and what similar boards do...)

Your ears are also kind of a funny shape, but that's really not the point. You and I and most everyone here has a little different perspective. We all "know" each other. It's like insulting your friends when we comment on FC's ginormous melon, Darth's diminutive stature, Rugged's freakish tallness, or your Gollum-esque bald head. What Plati sees is a bunch of people he doesn't know calling him fat, and it's not something he finds funny. Everyone is going to have their own take on how people "should" react in that situation, but if that's how he chooses to react, it does kind of help to explain why he might not be a big fan of what we do here (and what similar boards do...)

He's not giving us any reason to change, is he?

He's not giving us any reason to change, is he?

Not really, no. And I'm really just explaining more than defending. Everybody that has said that social media is part of the job description for anybody who is doing PR or media relations these days is right. Now, whether PR and fan outreach are part of Plati's official job title, as the public face of the AD it is inevitably part of his job. And social media is a big part of that, and a part that's just going to keep being more important in the future. Sometimes you have to put personal concerns aside for the good of your job. We all have to do it. I'm just saying that when Plati looks at us and sees a bunch of people making jokes about a sensitive personal subject, it doesn't really give him any reason to change either. And so we all stay in the same state of simmering mistrust year after year.....

I have much less of a problem with Plati's weight than I do with his treatment of the fans. He could weigh a metric ton so long as his attitude towards the fans was as it should be.

No, I'm not saying that. We've never had that rule outside the recruit threads, and we're not about to start. I'm simply pointing out that Plati might have a reason (whether it's a good one or not is a personal opinion) for not liking the insults aimed at him on these boards.

My response to you, I thought, was fairly clear. Just because somebody is fat, or bald or ugly or whatever doesn't make that fact relevant any time their name comes up. Especially when that person is a fellow buff, as Plati has been for 30 years (whatever other issues we might have with him). I will admit to authoring a few million Mangino jokes myself. But Mangino is not and never has been a Buff. Personally, I draw a line there, for myself.

BTW, stereotypes exist about all kinds of people. They are usually offensive and say a lot more about the person who deals in them than the person they're aimed at.

I will go ahead and defend Dave. He may be a bit prickly and defensive to people he sees as attacking his family. To Dave all of the players, coaches and former players (and in many cases former coaches) are his family. That may be why he is emotional in defending them. It really is more to Dave than a profession or a job. He live and breathes Colorado athletics and has for the majority of his life. To me, he is a kind and dedicated Buff and Buff defender who knows the name of every player and coach who has darkened the doors of Folsom. I understand your take and perhaps he can be a bit standoffish, defensive and prickly to those "outside" of his family, but there is not a more loyal and dedicated SID than Dave Plati. I think you will most likely find that Dave will be the SID at Colorado until Dave decides to retire.

I will go ahead and defend Dave. He may be a bit prickly and defensive to people he sees as attacking his family. To Dave all of the players, coaches and former players (and in many cases former coaches) are his family. That may be why he is emotional in defending them. It really is more to Dave than a profession or a job. He live and breathes Colorado athletics and has for the majority of his life. To me, he is a kind and dedicated Buff and Buff defender who knows the name of every player and coach who has darkened the doors of Folsom. I understand your take and perhaps he can be a bit standoffish, defensive and prickly to those "outside" of his family, but there is not a more loyal and dedicated SID than Dave Plati. I think you will most likely find that Dave will be the SID at Colorado until Dave decides to retire.

Bunker mentality at its finest.

Seriously, I know Dave is good with the stats and program history stuff. But what you described is not a healthy lifestyle. Nobody operates that way in the real world. I love by job and love the company I work for, but if I got all
bent out of shape every time somebody threw an insult at the banking industry or my bank in particular, I'd be a basket case.

Dave Plati is aces in my book. Every time I have called him or emailed him he has responded to me promptly. I do not know how anyone can call him standoffish - he is one of the most approachable individuals at CU.

I see no advantage in getting rid of Plati plus he is well respected with the media. If the new AD is not familiar with Colorado then Plati could be an asset in smoothing the way with the media.

Dave Plati is aces in my book. Every time I have called him or emailed him he has responded to me promptly. I do not know how anyone can call him standoffish - he is one of the most approachable individuals at CU.

I see no advantage in getting rid of Plati plus he is well respected with the media. If the new AD is not familiar with Colorado then Plati could be an asset in smoothing the way with the media.

this has been my experience with dave as well. the only exception being that he doesn't care much for message boards. threads like this illustrate why he may have some issues with the nature of this type of media.

i don't think making fun of his weight is particularly productive. from my point of view, he's one of our own. criticize him on merit and disagree with him all you want, but i don't get the weight jokes about a Buff, whether you like him or not.

Bunker mentality at its finest.

Seriously, I know Dave is good with the stats and program history stuff. But what you described is not a healthy lifestyle. Nobody operates that way in the real world. I love by job and love the company I work for, but if I got all
bent out of shape every time somebody threw an insult at the banking industry or my bank in particular, I'd be a basket case.

My industry wanted you and everyone else addicted to cocaine, now they want you to look like a Union boss from NY...........

Open happiness? WTF, what's wrong with this picture?

I like my business, I just don't do what those guys do.

sacky, you and I will never agree on this. CU athletics is his life's work. He never bigtimed me or the other non-headliners and non-all-americans. he is one of the few people I always make time to stop by and see when I make it out to Boulder. I'd miss him if he left.

sacky, you and I will never agree on this. CU athletics is his life's work. He never bigtimed me or the other non-headliners and non-all-americans. he is one of the few people I always make time to stop by and see when I make it out to Boulder. I'd miss him if he left.

Dave is a good guy from my experience. He does not like message boards but that was more a GB thingy at it's apex. Considering what was going on back then with a certain kicker and Homer's daughter there was lots to not like about the innerwebz from a PR perspective.

He would be all for a board as long as the likes of Waldo and TBD are banned.

Not that I really care if Plati stays long term, but it strikes me that way too many people in the CU AD seemingly get to get to keep their jobs for a LONG time. Maybe it is the same in most ADs around the country, but I doubt it.

As Abs said, way too many comfortable people over there and the inclination to "stay in the family" for hires only heightens it. Change does not have to be so scary.

Every time I've emailed Dave he's responded in a positive and prompt manner.

But l get the dislike about his social media persona and message board monitoring/coercion attempts. That is not tolerable and have a hard time overlooking it.

I have to support what Wyo Buff and FlaBuff have said. Dave Plati is a good guy who has made Colorado athletics his life's work. He doesn't make everyone happy, but I think he does an overall pretty darn good job. He has always kindly responded to my inquiries. He was responsible for helping something happen that occurred many years after my time at Colorado that was important to me and my coach. He supports all of the players and coaches both past and present. He is like a Mom and Dad rolled into one when it comes to supporting us. Dave and I had one disagreement that we easily resolved once we understood each other's position on something. I'm pretty sure he understands that not everyone will like him. It is very much like the students I've had in class over the years. About 95% of them appreciate what I do and 5% think I'm a prick. I honestly don't give a damn about the 5% who are detractors. They are always going to be there no matter what you do for a living and how good you do it. Who knows what Dave will do when the new AD comes in, but it sure won't bother me if Dave retires at Colorado.

Guys like Plati seem great if he considers you one of the insiders. Not so much if he doesn't.

If he would lose the bunker mentality and embrace the internet (not just message boards), he'd be a much more effective SID. And whoever is in charge of PR at the school needs to be fired.

Fine, let him say so. We are all held accountable on this board for what we say. If I insult you, you call me on it and we have an argument. After a while, it usually ends up that we all understand each other a little better. We may not agree, but we at least have gained a little perspective.

Ah, there's the rub. A spokesperson for the University cannot get into insult matches as he is never speaking as a private person. So he goes into battle, essentially unarmed.

Say what you want (I know you will), but if/when CU loses Dave Plati, there are a million things that will never run as smoothly behind the scenes again. He is very very good at his job. My two cents worth.

I would guess that Plati doesn't have to worry about his ongoing employment. We aren't going to get an AD who will have enough immediate pull to replace someone who has been around as long as Plati without spending a lot of his goodwill right away. Short Plati blowing up and making a huge mistake like embarrasing Phil or Benson in some way he will be at CU until he decides to retire.

That said I could see them leaving him as the official head of media relations but putting somebody else in place to handle certain more modern elements of the job. The addition of BG Brooks to the staff may have been an indication that they don't see Plati being able to carry the full load he once did.

I haven't said he should be fired in this thread. I don't like the way he interacts with the fans. He's obviously feels some Buffs are more important than others.

Back