What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

david shaw

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
heard a brief interview with stanford hc david shaw today... man, have they got it going or what?

he said that harbaugh refused to accept the notion that you couldn't find players both smart enough for stanford and still mean enough to win in major conference ball. he said they decided that they were only going to recruit guys that were mean mofos from their pool of smart candidates, even if they had to recruit all 50 states and canada.

then, he said they decided they were going to run a basic offense. fullback, tight end, i-formation, nasty defense. he said they wanted to win on nastiness and physicality.

based upon their success, and including what they did to a more talented usc team (they physically owned them), i would say they have the right idea.

that's how you do it.

i have no particular use for stanford, but i do like the model they embraced.

then, he said they decided they were going to run a basic offense. fullback, tight end, i-formation, nasty defense. he said they wanted to win on nastiness and physicality.
This is the part I hope Embree is seeing. Keep it simple, and let your guys perform to their potential. We have too much thinking going on on the field right now. Simple reads, simple formations, simple blocking patterns - just go out and hit someone. I still think we could win a few this year if we pare down to football fundamentals.

Common g'damn sense! I thought we'd be bringing that concept to CU. Nope.

Looking like a bunch a bums out here!

heard a brief interview with stanford hc david shaw today... man, have they got it going or what?

he said that harbaugh refused to accept the notion that you couldn't find players both smart enough for stanford and still mean enough to win in major conference ball. he said they decided that they were only going to recruit guys that were mean mofos from their pool of smart candidates, even if they had to recruit all 50 states and canada.

based upon their success, and including what they did to a more talented usc team (they physically owned them), i would say they have the right idea.

that's how you do it.

i have no particular use for stanford, but i do like the model they embraced.

Harbaugh is certainly proving this approach doesn´t work in college only at the moment when I look at his 9ers team and the development of a guy like Alex Smith.

Keep hearing guys saying Shaw is the most likely candidate to get a NFL gig from the college ranks atm, btw.

Their recruiting class is probably top 15 again this year too. They are not going away.

BTW, I would kill for a RB like Stepfan Taylor. That guy has great feet.

Speaking of keeping it basic, Mike Leach was quoted in the post today saying, "It's as simple as we can make it. Its always amazed me that people talk about how complicated their stuff is. They say it like it's something to be proud of. To me, that's crazy. You don't want to do anything to keep your players from triggering fast."

It shows a bit too much NFL influence in the staff's schemes. They're trying really hard to create mismatches with personnel groupings and complicated concepts--which I hate when they call a play a concept, Joel Klatt loves to do this. Makes them feel like high level thinkers I guess. I get that the play is contingent on the defense, so therefore fluid, and not a drawn-up play in the strict sense, but get over yourselves, rant over.

If one guy is screwing up on nearly every play, which screws everything, then it's probably too much for them to handle. They need to give these kids less options, and let them play.

Wonder where Jim Harbaugh got that idea from? :huh:

Oh yeah ...

Bo.jpg

Amazing what you can do when you have an athletic department that "gets it", a coaching staff has a plan and is dedicated to implementing it instead of ranting about things they did 20 years ago. I guess Stanford can get away with that, but here at CU our academics are just too important to go risking that integrity. :lol: :cry:

Amazing what you can do when you have an athletic department that "gets it", a coaching staff has a plan and is dedicated to implementing it instead of ranting about things they did 20 years ago. I guess Stanford can get away with that, but here at CU our academics are just too important to go risking that integrity. :lol: :cry:

And you'd think if any school would want to de-emphasize football as much as they could while still remaining a BCS program you'd think it would be a place like Stanford. :huh:

Good academics and athlectics can coexist? Who da thunk it?

I'm sure Benson and Distephano just think Stanford is not what it used to be...

Back