What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a woman??? (Just joking here but someday will we see women coaches? I heard there a pee wee football league in Colorado that had one woman coach. Players were reluctant at first, but she turned out to be the best coach and won the most. Kids loved her.)

Not suggesting that here, but with our list of must haves, we might as well add some other unattainable characteristics too.

Oh the things that we would hear from the crowd. You just made think the most disgusting thought ever, She Who Shall Not Be Named (KH) being ST coach. I just got sick and needed the "hot tub".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based what I have read is the Buff "faithful" (quotes due to some of you flip floppers) want a DC who is:
-Black
-Polynesian
-Under 50
-DC experience at P5 level
-Can recruit
-Can coach DBs, LBs and DL

So we are bound to have some really disappointed and irked people that base their opinions on no on-field play but bitch about our on-field play all the time. Well, I have no idea who it is but just want to see some success and like everything in life will just hope for the best. But yes who the **** are the candidates?

So...The Rock?

Is this going to take til fall camp to figure out? When does spring ball begin? How is a new DC going to put in a system if he is hired 2 days before spring camp?

Then that is good, 'cuz we have lots of pipes in Colorado!! Smokin' loud!

Nik, I agree Seto would be an awsome higher at DC. Have you heard that he has any interest in coming back to college football? Does he have any connection here or to anyone on our staff? If we can get him here he could be the perfect fit.

Possibly. Would have to see the other assistant(s) added. Just southeast recruiting contacts would be a little weird.
if he is a good recruiter how long do you think it would take to get established in a new area?
this years class is mostly full so a new coach could start working on next years class as he gets up to speed.

Random thought since Baer had a 3 year contract. I'm assuming the new DC gets a multi-year deal but for 3 or 2 years? MM could very well be on his way out after 2015 or 2016 (more likely)

Random thought since Baer had a 3 year contract. I'm assuming the new DC gets a multi-year deal but for 3 or 2 years? MM could very well be on his way out after 2015 or 2016 (more likely)

Depending on if he needs it to get the guy, he may give it to our OC?
I wouldn't think a lot of low conf DC's need a 3 year contract for example.

Come on, man. Are you really suggesting that RG is going to say that the standard 3-year deal is not on the table because he's planning to fire the HC after 2? You've gone completely mental.

Come on, man. Are you really suggesting that RG is going to say that the standard 3-year deal is not on the table because he's planning to fire the HC after 2? You've gone completely mental.

Actually it's not the standard deal. David Gibbs got a 2 year deal at Texas Tech

Actually it's not the standard deal. David Gibbs got a 2 year deal at Texas Tech

At CU, haven't we always given at least 3 to coordinators? EB might have been longer. I can't remember on Kiesau. Didn't Marshall get one too?

(Throwing names out there in case anyone is bored and wants to research it. :wink2:)

At CU, haven't we always given at least 3 to coordinators? EB might have been longer. I can't remember on Kiesau. Didn't Marshall get one too?

(Throwing names out there in case anyone is bored and wants to research it. :wink2:)

I sincerely hope we are smarter than we were in the past. Bieniemy had a buy-out for 4 seasons. Yikes.

I still say 2 year contract depending on who the coach is.

Between the Pendergast 5-2 thread, and this Seto talk, I think Nik is either trying to make up for the trough disaster, or is building us up with excitement so that he can watch the meltdown unfold when we end up with neither. You sadistic bastard! :lol:

Until recently, CU was unable to give more than 1-yr contracts to all but HC of FB, MBB and WBB due to state legislation. I believe they were only allowed to give one more and that went to one of the coordinators of the FBHC choosing. It may have been 2-3 more and both coordinators get it but this is less than 5 years this legislation has been in effect.

More on Seto: http://dailytrojan.com/2010/03/24/faith-perseverance-have-made-seto’s-unusual-journey-possible/

I think that you religious folks will like him quite a lot. It's a good read either way. Just a solid dude. Seems like someone who would click with MacIntyre.

I asked it earlier but no one really had an answer. Is/was there any smoke to Seto even being a candidate, or was he a name that was thrown out there just because? Does he have ties to HCMM? Did Rivals report him as a candidate? Did he say he'd like to make a jump back to college? I know he's with Seattle, so there won't be a whole lot of news about him either way, but I don't want to get my hopes up about this possibility if there's no reason at all to think he'd come here.

*Edited* I apologize for asking the same question many have already asked. Please disregard

Last edited:
I am warming to the idea of a younger guy who might have limited DC experience, but making a clear progression up the ladder. If we hire a guy 50+ who is currently coaching at a non-P5 school, I will be very disappointed.

Agreed. I am starting to warm to this idea as well. Much rather have a younger guy with limited experience as a DC (but plenty of overall coaching experience surrounded by great defensive minds), than an older guy who was never quite good enough to make the leap to a P5 team.

3 years is going to be the standard for a job like CU, that comes with the biggest career risk/reward for a DC of any program in the country.

Career risk? The Buffs have sucked on defense and even if they suck more, a coach can move down a level or go coach at a bigger school at a position and still make similar money.

Still, I agree 3-yr is standard and should be given to the new coach. The state law will always be a hindrance. The fact our OC is on a yearly contract is crap because he could jump for lateral move just to have long-term stability.

Bottom line is CU needs to start winning or this is an endless cycle we can debate instead of can we beat a Pac 12 team this year.

3 years is going to be the standard for a job like CU, that comes with the biggest career risk/reward for a DC of any program in the country.

No it's not. TT managed to land Gibbs at 2 years and they've had 7 DC's in the last 8 years

Career risk? The Buffs have sucked on defense and even if they suck more, a coach can move down a level or go coach at a bigger school at a position and still make similar money.

For some of the candidates we've discussed on these boards (mainly Seto and Durkin), the CU DC job is no more than a slight step up (Seto) or a lateral move/step down (Durkin). If one of those guys were to come in here (obviously Durkin is out but my point still stands) and wasn't able to get the defense to a respectable level, those guys' career stock takes a huge hit. A guy like Durkin wouldn't be getting Michigan DC jobs and Seto would be back to defensive assistant status rather than continuing to rise through the coaching ranks. On the other hand, it might be worth the risk for a non-power 5 candidate to take on the DC position here, as the risk of failure lands them back in the same position they're currently in.

Make no bones about it... This DC job is not an attractive position outside of the potential compensation. The defense has the least amount of talent in the most talented offensive conference in the country. Huge risk/reward comes with this job.

No it's not. TT managed to land Gibbs at 2 years and they've had 7 DC's in the last 8 years

It's also a Texas school, with a big budget, and is not viewed nationally as the laughing stock of Power 5 football. I would think a candidate with other options would need the 3 year contract to put lipstick on this pig.

For some of the candidates we've discussed on these boards (mainly Seto and Durkin), the CU DC job is no more than a slight step up (Seto) or a lateral move/step down (Durkin). If one of those guys were to come in here (obviously Durkin is out but my point still stands) and wasn't able to get the defense to a respectable level, those guys' career stock takes a huge hit. A guy like Durkin wouldn't be getting Michigan DC jobs and Seto would be back to defensive assistant status rather than continuing to rise through the coaching ranks. On the other hand, it might be worth the risk for a non-power 5 candidate to take on the DC position here, as the risk of failure lands them back in the same position they're currently in.

Make no bones about it... This DC job is not an attractive position outside of the potential compensation. The defense has the least amount of talent in the most talented offensive conference in the country. Huge risk/reward comes with this job.

The flip side of this argument is if you can't raise CU's defense out of a ranking in the 100s you're probably a s**t DC. A mediocre coach could look like a hero here.

Baer found another job pretty quick, so I'm not sure it's quite the career killer you're making it out to be.

For those of you more level headed than myself, at what point doesthe passage of time become a concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back