What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flip side of this argument is if you can't raise CU's defense out of a ranking in the 100s you're probably a s**t DC. A mediocre coach could look like a hero here.

Baer found another job pretty quick, so I'm not sure it's quite the career killer you're making it out to be.

I said this job has a lot of career risk for a DC making a lateral move or trying to move up in the coaching ranks. Yes, a mediocre coach looks like a hero if the defense is turned around, but that is the high reward party of my point.

Baer went from some really big time programs in his earlier years to a really small program and was brought to CU by MM. He is now back at a small time program after failing at CU, so not the best example.

My point is that a high caliber candidate like Durkin, would have been taking a huge career risk by coming to CU. It would drastically slow his career advancement if he failed here. Instead, he's going to coach at the biggest program of all time under Harbaugh. He'll be a head coaching candidate within 2-3 years if UM has decent success.

If you're looking for level headed, you're in the wrong place.

I have been confident this decision is going to end well! The more I read this thread... well, you guys are pushing me towards angst.... :lol: Gotta stay away!

BTW, SKINRATZ, per your avatar..... that frikin commercial is FN funny! Stupid, but hilarious!

For those of you more level headed than myself, at what point doesthe passage of time become a concern?

We need an announcement before next weekend. Have to have a DC in place when the recruiting dead period ends and heading into AFCA convention where connects are made for filling out the remaining staff changes. If not, I'll get worried. Window for my stress level is about a week.

im not worried yet.... but once again is it always us who have to wait for all the dominos to drop?

I wasn't around AB when Hawk was fired and Embree was hired. What was the honest, general reaction around here?

I wasn't around AB when Hawk was fired and Embree was hired. What was the honest, general reaction around here?

Most everyone was dancing in the streets when the Boise idot was finally let go, almost everybody, except DBT, thought he should have gone a year earlier. Embree was a mixed bag, some were happy to see the band get back together again, many were ambivalent and wary (i.e. me), still others were sure it was a mistake. The last group turned out to be right.

The problem with the Embree hire is that it wasn't presented as a 'he and EB need lots of extra time to experiment and learn on the job and then turn it around'...to an already starved and frustrated fan base, it was doomed from day 1. Once the wheels fell off in season 2, the admin. had to cut bait.

The problem with the Embree hire is that it wasn't presented as a 'he and EB need lots of extra time to experiment and learn on the job and then turn it around'...to an already starved and frustrated fan base, it was doomed from day 1. Once the wheels fell off in season 2, the admin. had to cut bait.

Who were some of the other legitimate candidates after Hawk was fired? I remember Butch Jones being a "done deal" and then backing out once the Denver Post reported it. Was there anyone else?

*EDITED* My mistake: Butch Jones was a candidate after Embree was fired. Whoops!

Last edited:
Most everyone was dancing in the streets when the Boise idot was finally let go, almost everybody, except DBT, thought he should have gone a year earlier. Embree was a mixed bag, some were happy to see the band get back together again, many were ambivalent and wary (i.e. me), still others were sure it was a mistake. The last group turned out to be right.
Getting a little old

Who were some of the other legitimate candidates after Hawk was fired? I remember Butch Jones being a "done deal" and then backing out once the Denver Post reported it. Was there anyone else?

*EDITED* My mistake: Butch Jones was a candidate after Embree was fired. Whoops!

McCartney, EB, Embree, Les Miles, Mendenhall, Tedford, Belotti were all rumored names, maybe somebody else knows more.

I said this job has a lot of career risk for a DC making a lateral move or trying to move up in the coaching ranks. Yes, a mediocre coach looks like a hero if the defense is turned around, but that is the high reward party of my point.

Baer went from some really big time programs in his earlier years to a really small program and was brought to CU by MM. He is now back at a small time program after failing at CU, so not the best example.

My point is that a high caliber candidate like Durkin, would have been taking a huge career risk by coming to CU. It would drastically slow his career advancement if he failed here. Instead, he's going to coach at the biggest program of all time under Harbaugh. He'll be a head coaching candidate within 2-3 years if UM has decent success.

1st bold: Baer spent 5 years at f**king San Jose St before coming to CU, so going to a place like UNLV isn't some huge step back. Going to SJSU in the first place was his big step back, CU was basically a 2nd chance for him at the P5 level where he failed, again.

2nd bold: failing pretty much anywhere will slow someone's career advancement.

McCartney, EB, Embree, Les Miles, Mendenhall, Tedford, Belotti were all rumored names, maybe somebody else knows more.

Going even further back, does anyone remember other candidates when Barnett was fired? Bohn was quoted saying they had a "home run" candidate (Hawkins) and I assume Hawk was his top priority. Anyone remember any other guys we interviewed... back when this program was a desirable job?

If I remember correctly then we only interviewed Cabral, EB, Embree, and McElwain after Hawk was fired.

If I remember correctly then we only interviewed Cabral, EB, Embree, and McElwain after Hawk was fired.

I think you are right, but the other names were supposedly contacted and said no thanks, but who really knows.

Kragthorpe, Paul Johnson and Hawk were the names I heard, but the focus was on Hawk almost from the start. Thanks Chuck.

The odds of failing as a DC at CU are much higher right now than just about any P5 school. That's my point.

Depends how you define fail, I suppose. Having a defense ranked in the 50s here would be very successful, but would be a huge failing elsewhere. Easier to go up when the defense has been this awful, but sure it would be a huge undertaking to get us to respectability.

Depends how you define fail, I suppose. Having a defense ranked in the 50s here would be very successful, but would be a huge failing elsewhere. Easier to go up when the defense has been this awful, but sure it would be a huge undertaking to get us to respectability.

Fair enough. I just look at Durkin. He is on top of the world and was the hottest DC candidate out there. Michigan hasn't been good for a while, but he knows going to a program coached by Harbaugh, and the type of recruits they'll get in the coming years, the chances of failure are much, much lower than if he were to come to CU. Much lower risk for his career advancement than coming to CU, even if CU offers more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back