What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hawkins was fired a year earlier like he should have been, what I heard was the McElwain would have likely been the hire.

There was a lot of politics going on before the Embree hire, and there wasn't a lot of funding at the time to get it done. I was closer at that time with a couple of the larger boosters and they were absolutely convinced without a doubt that the next coach had to be a Buff. I don't know who had convinced them of this, but I felt it was other boosters. Maybe Gary Barnett or Mac... These guys still think the Buffs are in the 90s.

When I attempted to have a reasonable discussion on how that possibly could trump the absense of all other meaningful qualifications, I was essentially shut down. They didn't want to hear it. They said he and EB would recruit like maniacs and be true Buffs. It was a gang mentality. The fact that there was no "prior success" to show future success was not a consideration they wanted to hear. In fact, I was told (loudly) that Dan Hawkins was proof that a non-BCS coach could NOT be successful at this level. (Ignoring all non-BCS coaches who had been such as Jim Tressel, Urban Meyer, on to infinity...)

I basically concluded at that time that the so called "money guys" with influence with this program were completely retarded. I told two of them that were in constant communication with Benson and Phil, what would happen with the hire of Embree.

So when I hear that "high-placed supporters" are FILL-IN-THE-BLANK, I cringe. Sort of my questioning earlier this week when I asked who leaked this and why....

I think Hawkins disrespecting some of the CU traditions, changing uniform style, etc. is why many former players and alum were clamoring for the next HC to "be a Buff". There was a lot made of the "brick games" under Embree; something that Hawkins completely threw out and painted over. Too much outside emotion was involved in the Embree hire and it felt like Bohn was saying, "Fine. I'll give all of you what you want and it's going to fail miserably". I'm sure he pushed that narrative on the Cincinnati administration when interviewing for their AD job.

I think Hawkins disrespecting some of the CU traditions, changing uniform style, etc. is why many former players and alum were clamoring for the next HC to "be a Buff". There was a lot made of the "brick games" under Embree; something that Hawkins completely threw out and painted over. Too much outside emotion was involved in the Embree hire and it felt like Bohn was saying, "Fine. I'll give all of you what you want and it's going to fail miserably". I'm sure he pushed that narrative on the Cincinnati administration when interviewing for their AD job.

Be honest. You've been reading allbuffs for 10 years and just wanted a chance to repeat everything.

Of course, one of our own posters, who was a player at CU in those glory years - says he never heard of the "brick games" before Embree was hired as head coach.

Of course, one of our own posters, who was a player at CU in those glory years - says he never heard of the "brick games" before Embree was hired as head coach.

That's interesting. Who's the player? They've put them all back up in the facility dating to way back when. Embree and EB obviously remembered them, along with Chad Brown, Joel Klatt, etc.

Fair enough. I just look at Durkin. He is on top of the world and was the hottest DC candidate out there. Michigan hasn't been good for a while, but he knows going to a program coached by Harbaugh, and the type of recruits they'll get in the coming years, the chances of failure are much, much lower than if he were to come to CU. Much lower risk for his career advancement than coming to CU, even if CU offers more money.

Agree on the Durkin example, it's hard to argue CU as a better job than Michigan, but Gibbs going to Tech is another story. They're way down the pecking order in Texas football and I find it hard to believe that's a place defensive coordinators feel they can make a name for themselves.

I only partially say this in jest, but I am wondering if HCMM is considering pulling a Derek Mason and hiring himself as DC? Just found this news to be quite interesting:

http://tenntruth.com/2015/01/05/vandy-coach-derek-mason-hires-defensive-coordinator/

The biggest surprise of the day on West End came when Derek Mason named himself Defensive Coordinator. He has been unable to hire a defensive coordinator satisfactory to him, so he will go at it himself. This can be good, or it could be bad.

I only partially say this in jest, but I am wondering if HCMM is considering pulling a Derek Mason and hiring himself as DC? Just found this news to be quite interesting:

http://tenntruth.com/2015/01/05/vandy-coach-derek-mason-hires-defensive-coordinator/

I sincerely hope not.

I'll stipulate to the fact that Mike MacIntyre is the best Defensive Coordinator that CU could hope to hire.

But, that said, what we need from our HC is for him to be managing all aspects of the program. He needs a DC who will implement his defense with some great input and innovation brought to the table. Someone who will draw up most of the game plans and practice strategies. MacIntyre doesn't need to be spending most of his time there personally.

I sincerely hope not.

I'll stipulate to the fact that Mike MacIntyre is the best Defensive Coordinator that CU could hope to hire.

But, that said, what we need from our HC is for him to be managing all aspects of the program. He needs a DC who will implement his defense with some great input and innovation brought to the table. Someone who will draw up most of the game plans and practice strategies. MacIntyre doesn't need to be spending most of his time there personally.
yea. A head coach needs to be a Mgr. delegating duties to OC and DC, then let them delegate to the assistant coaches.

As long as we're spit balling coaching scenarios, if we go with guys like Hobby and Reed as DC and DB coach, what about someone like Brady Hoke as Associate HC/DL? It would bolster the defensive coaching staff and replace a weak link on the current staff. His presence would provide some veteran coaching leadership without rocking the boat. And his ability to take some of the responsibility on that side of the ball might free young guys like Hobby to do a little more recruiting than the average DC. It didn't work at Michigan, but I think the guy can coach in the right scenario, and this would be a good landing spot for him IMO.

Last edited:
I sincerely hope not.

Is there a difference between calling plays and being a coordinator? I ask because Chip Kelly called plays for Oregon as a HC, but was he their official OC? Same thing with Harbaugh at Stanford, Rex Ryan, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Jason Garrett, etc. in the NFL. There are plenty of Head Coaches who "coordinate" their side of the ball by doing the in-game play calling. Obviously, Nick Saban and John Fox are two examples in college and NFL that are more CEO types that have OC/DC that call plays and they handle the general in game strategy.

[tweet]552950434965766144[/tweet]
This is/was one of the our targets, supposedly. Is it a good thing or bad thing that the Redskins want to talk to him? :lol:

Is there a difference between calling plays and being a coordinator? I ask because Chip Kelly called plays for Oregon as a HC, but was he their official OC? Same thing with Harbaugh at Stanford, Rex Ryan, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, Jason Garrett, etc. in the NFL. There are plenty of Head Coaches who "coordinate" their side of the ball by doing the in-game play calling. Obviously, Nick Saban and John Fox are two examples in college and NFL that are more CEO types that have OC/DC that call plays and they handle the general in game strategy.

Coordinator does not necessarily equal Play Caller. Even when the HC isn't the Play Caller and the coordinator is, some coordinators prefer to be on the field and have an assistant from their side in the booth advising on play calls.

How has something that has gone on this long have absolutely no information making its way into the public? Does the CU AD have some new found Omerta or have people simply stopped caring enough to look into it?

How has something that has gone on this long have absolutely no information making its way into the public? Does the CU AD have some new found Omerta or have people simply stopped caring enough to look into it?
RG might have plugged the leak, one way or another. The only leak we ever got was from Adam and a few insiders, and that all stopped around saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back