What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deaysean Rippy to transfer to CU

well our starting QB is a transfer and our best WR is one. So those two are a good place to start.

Starting QB does not mean he is any good. Think Jordan Webb. Does PRich really count as a transfer? His scholarship offer was revoked by UCLA so he was free to sign with a new school. Not really any different than when a player doesn't academically qualify and are then free to enroll at another school. I count PRich as a CU recruit.

Starting QB does not mean he is any good. Think Jordan Webb. Does PRich really count as a transfer? His scholarship offer was revoked by UCLA so he was free to sign with a new school. Not really any different than when a player doesn't academically qualify and are then free to enroll at another school. I count PRich as a CU recruit.

well it means he is better than the other QBs on the roster and maybe White Rabbit counts PRich as a transfer.

well it means he is better than the other QBs on the roster and maybe White Rabbit counts PRich as a transfer.

You are going to have to do better than that to make a cogent argument that transfers have gone well for us recently.

You are going to have to do better than that to make a cogent argument that transfers have gone well for us recently.

it is not my argument. I was just giving recent examples, if they don't fit your world view that is not my problem.

Toney Clemmons was a transfer from Michigan if memory serves me correctly.

:nod:

If only every transfer worked out as well as Toney did for us. We really haven't gotten many in the past several years. Logan Gray came here from Georgia and didn't do a whole lot. Jordan Webb struggled at QB after transferring here from KU (though he did start so he was theoretically a major upgrade from what we would have had). That's about all I can think of.

I'm kind of meh on this one. Pitt and Sycrause will get exposed in ACC play this year. Out of the former Big East members that joined the ACC, it appears to me that only Virigina Tech has been successful at this point. Even West Virigina went 4-5 in their first year of Big 12 play and that was coming off a 10+ win season in their final Big East season. I think the quality of players in the Big East are more in line with the MWC & the AAC which is a step down from the Big 12 and Pac-12.

This Rippy will have to prove it on the field and hopefully he produces for the Buffs.

:nod:

If only every transfer worked out as well as Toney did for us. We really haven't gotten many in the past several years. Logan Gray came here from Georgia and didn't do a whole lot. Jordan Webb struggled at QB after transferring here from KU (though he did start so he was theoretically a major upgrade from what we would have had). That's about all I can think of.
We also got that safety from Georgia that never did much (found the name: Makiri Pugh). On the good side was DJ Dykes. Also wasn't there a tight end transfer that turned out to be one of our only real options as a senior (from New Mexico or something?); Walters?

Last edited:
Very true, for the most part our recent incoming transfers haven't really panned out. One other transfer that came to mind was Aric Goodman coming over from Wyoming although the back end of his tenure year wasn't pleasant. He was productive in '08. (That gw-fg against WVU always has a special place in my heart)

I'm kind of meh on this one. Pitt and Sycrause will get exposed in ACC play this year. Out of the former Big East members that joined the ACC, it appears to me that only Virigina Tech has been successful at this point. Even West Virigina went 4-5 in their first year of Big 12 play and that was coming off a 10+ win season in their final Big East season. I think the quality of players in the Big East are more in line with the MWC & the AAC which is a step down from the Big 12 and Pac-12.

This Rippy will have to prove it on the field and hopefully he produces for the Buffs.
Part of your argument works in that he was not even in the top 2 at Pitt. But you also should recognize that out of HS he was a total stud with world class offers from major BCS programs (e.g. Alabama, Florida, USC). Hard to know what has gone on behind the scenes and how much of his current standing at Pitt was his fault. Regardless, the dude obviously has a high upside based on the offers he had.

We also got that safety from Georgia that never did much (found the name: Makiri Pugh). On the good side was DJ Dykes. Also wasn't there a tight end transfer that turned out to be one of our only real options as a senior (from New Mexico or something?); Walters?
Only transfer at TE I remember was DeVree or something. I think he came from Western Michigan. I could be way wrong on that. I know he either scored a td or 2 pt. conversion in the OU upset.

Part of your argument works in that he was not even in the top 2 at Pitt. But you also should recognize that out of HS he was a total stud with world class offers from major BCS programs (e.g. Alabama, Florida, USC). Hard to know what has gone on behind the scenes and how much of his current standing at Pitt was his fault. Regardless, the dude obviously has a high upside based on the offers he had.

Getting offers from BCS programs do not equate success on the playing field...if that was the case, Dan Hawkins would have eclipsed Bill McCartney with Darrell Scott by winning multiple national championships. Either he will live up to the hype on the field or be a bust. It also sounds like he is a primma donna and do we need those type of cancers on the roster? I still believe in second chances such as one getting a fresh start but caution is the best word for this situation.

And you said he was not in the top 2 at Pitt...well you made my point.

Getting offers from BCS programs do not equate success on the playing field...if that was the case, Dan Hawkins would have eclipsed Bill McCartney with Darrell Scott by winning multiple national championships. Either he will live up to the hype on the field or be a bust. It also sounds like he is a primma donna and do we need those type of cancers on the roster? I still believe in second chances such as one getting a fresh start but caution is the best word for this situation.

Ok, probably true. However, ranking is a good predictor and he was highly ranked on every recruiting site, on top of those offers. Something tells me he has a good amount of talent...

Chris Brown was a transfer from that football powerhouse, Northwestern.

I wouldn't worry too much about what past transfers have done here. Lets get him in the program, give him a year to get acclimated, and set him loose. Chances are that he's as good or better than what we have at LB now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

-Well, without Jordan Webb last year we don't win a game, so I consider that one a plus.
-Toney Clemons
-I was counting PRich, but if he doesn't fit your criteria for a transfer, so be it.
-Our probable starting QB this year is a transfer.
-Josh Ford transferred from KSU.
-Patterson from USC and Gray from Georgia caught a few passes and returned kicks, not sure they were that much of an upgrade, though.
-Tyson DeVree had a good senior year for us IIRC.
-Pugh didn't do anything, we can count him in the bad category.

I also meant that we have done "well" in that the guys we have taken haven't really hurt us. Pugh sucked up a scholarship for a couple years, Gray and Patterson didn't do much, but were also only here for a year. We also haven't taken guys that hurt out APR or got arrested (Webb being the exception). We have done well to not take guys that have proven unlikely to work out (Willingham, Berglund, Chris Martin, Mister Jones)

All of this leads me to believe it's unlikely that Rippy will come in, fail all of his classes ****ing our APR, while simultaneously getting arrested and making us look bad in the media. But, it's definitely a possibility.

:rofl:

Well, no matter what your opinion is, it will be interesting to see if this young man can live up to the expectations.

Good luck Deaysean.

According to NCAA '14 this is a good pick-up. I edited Shane Dillon to Deaysean and he became a starting LB in my second season

Yea Nate Walters. Friends with his sister haha.

Agreed

This is a BFD.

Only in the dysfunctional world of CU athletics can fans attempt to spin the idea that a 4* kid with new coaching staff elected to give up a year of elegibility to come to our school to play as a negative.

He picked the Buffs and I am happy to have him.

As far as the track record of transfers, the cynic in me says they have succeeded in contributing to the team over the last few years at a higher rate than the kids we recruited out of high school. Attrition is an issue and I am excited to see this staff address it. If they don't, the next staff will have to. It is that big an issue.

Last edited:
Only in the dysfunctional world of CU athletics can fans attempt to spin the idea that a 4* kid with new coaching staff elected to give up a year of elegibility to come to our school to play as a negative.

He picked the Buffs and I am happy to have him.

As far as the track record of transfers, the cynic in me says they have succeeded in contributing to the team over the last few years at a higher rate than the kids we recruited out of high school. Attrition is an issue and I am excited to see this staff address it. If they don't, the next staff will have to. It is that big an issue.

How excited is the staff to have another 4 star player to work with? How excited am I for the staff to have another 4 star player to work with?

The answer is LOTS. VERY is also an acceptable answer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Nik and PC. Not sure why some people are going negative or luke warm on securing a 4* LB transfer who had offers from virtually every major program across the country. Because some fans from his last team (Pitt) have some negative things to say about him? He never played a down for Pitt b/c he redshirted so how much do they know about him?

Probably some of the same people who criticize our current recruiting efforts and say we are not doing enough to get higher caliber talent. I would bet that Rippy had other options available to him, at some of those same BCS teams that offered him the first time.

Its also interesting that D Scott had a fairly productive career at FIU or where ever he ended up once he left CU. Sometimes a school/ coaching staff is just not a good fit.

Its also interesting that D Scott had a fairly productive career at FIU or where ever he ended up once he left CU. Sometimes a school/ coaching staff is just not a good fit.

I agree with the general point, but maybe not the best example with dscott. He played one season at usf before deciding to go into the draft early. He did have 800 yards in that one season, but once a bum, always a bum. Coaching staffs weren't going to change that.

I agree with the general point, but maybe not the best example with dscott. He played one season at usf before deciding to go into the draft early. He did have 800 yards in that one season, but once a bum, always a bum. Coaching staffs weren't going to change that.

So true. The really sad thing about D. Scott is that he had the talent. He could have been something special and played in the NFL and he decided to eat doughnuts instead.

Just twitter stalked:

He is related to Toney Clemons somehow
It looks like he does a lot of charity and seems like a genuinely good kid
His roommate at Pitt was Rushel Shell:popcorn:

Last edited:
Back