What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Decision Day #2 Thread

I do think that the CU job presents a lot of unknowns for Butch Jones - and that alone makes me understand why he would really want to weigh his options. This is certainly not the last job offer Jones will get if he remains at Cincinnati.

I also have no problem with him taking some time to really consider things.

It is a bit concerning to me that a lot of this stuff wasn't ironed out beforehand. The trip to Colorado and the tour of Folsom and all that should have been the final step, not a middle one.

Nice post. The fact he hasn't bailed yet tells us he is conflicted. Frankly on paper, there isn't a lot of football reasons to keep the guy in Cincy. But personal reasons can often outweigh the football reasons.

Good luck to you guys either way.
As I said, I think his dilemma is not CU vs UC. it is CU vs staying in the area. If he stays, jobs in the Midwest will become available. Plus CU, face it, is a massive career risk.

Nice post. What is the feeling out there as to what he will decide? If he leaves, would UC hire from his staff?

The thought is the longer this drags on the better for UC, but some close to the deal are not that confident. As for his replacement, we have always gone outside of the staff and would continue to do so. The MAC has strong coaches, that is where we got Kelly and Jones of course, but with the Bengals here we also interview NFL OC's.
I am glad he has been transparent with this process, it is difficult for us fans but CBJ is not one to hide his feelings or the truth. It should also be known that his players do exceptional in the classroom. We were tops in the Big East last year and probably will be this year with player GPA's. He is a solid person who will transform the culture overnight.

As I said, I think his dilemma is not CU vs UC. it is CU vs staying in the area. If he stays, jobs in the Midwest will become available. Plus CU, face it, is a massive career risk.

No doubt he will leave UC next year if not this year. If success continues there will always be a prominent coaching position around the corner.

The thought is the longer this drags on the better for UC, but some close to the deal are not that confident. As for his replacement, we have always gone outside of the staff and would continue to do so. The MAC has strong coaches, that is where we got Kelly and Jones of course, but with the Bengals here we also interview NFL OC's.
I am glad he has been transparent with this process, it is difficult for us fans but CBJ is not one to hide his feelings or the truth. It should also be known that his players do exceptional in the classroom. We were tops in the Big East last year and probably will be this year with player GPA's. He is a solid person who will transform the culture overnight.
One thing our previous staffs have done is to really improve our academics. That is a big factor in Jones' favor.

Hello CU fans, UC fan here. This is an interesting time for all of us and we are all a bit on edge waiting for a decision from CBJ. He is a great person and has been great for our city and University and I really hope he stays. He has formed many bonds with students and the community, and I am sure that is weighing heavily on him. If he leaves I would understand, Cincinnati is a tough sports town, a pro sports town. While our attendance has gotten much better over the years, we are not where we need to be every game. Competition is heavy with the Reds and Bengals for dollars. With the conference realignment in transition, it has to be very tempting to jump to something stable such as the PAC 12, and in a beautiful part of the country. I spent time at Lowry AFB while it was open and traveled many a times to Boulder for some "relaxation" time, and I loved it there. If CBJ decides to join you all I would understand and I would become a remote fan of CU. Best of luck.

Good stuff Cpaw. Uncertainty just sucks no matter what. You make some great points, which are not all that different here with pro sports (Broncos, Avs, Nuggets, Rockies). However, program support ironically is at an all time high while we are at an all time low. I am biased, but I think Colorado would be a solid step up for Butch and he can win and win big here while the stadium is rocking at 50k+. Good luck to your guys no matter which way the wind blows.

Hello CU fans, UC fan here. This is an interesting time for all of us and we are all a bit on edge waiting for a decision from CBJ. He is a great person and has been great for our city and University and I really hope he stays. He has formed many bonds with students and the community, and I am sure that is weighing heavily on him. If he leaves I would understand, Cincinnati is a tough sports town, a pro sports town. While our attendance has gotten much better over the years, we are not where we need to be every game. Competition is heavy with the Reds and Bengals for dollars. With the conference realignment in transition, it has to be very tempting to jump to something stable such as the PAC 12, and in a beautiful part of the country. I spent time at Lowry AFB while it was open and traveled many a times to Boulder for some "relaxation" time, and I loved it there. If CBJ decides to join you all I would understand and I would become a remote fan of CU. Best of luck.
Thank you for your classy commentary about your coach in light of the situation.

We have been through what seems like a decade of straight losing and we are anxious to get a coach we can believe in to return us to our former glory. Cinci has become a cradle of coaches and I am impressed w their on-field performance despite minimal fan support, etc.

Let´s hope both teams are better off this time next year :)

It is a bit concerning to me that a lot of this stuff wasn't ironed out beforehand. The trip to Colorado and the tour of Folsom and all that should have been the final step, not a middle one.

That is the frustrating part. This things go belly up all the time but less so after the dog and pony show. It sounds like he was convinced before he left (and even extended his time here) but he got back and Cinci`s team put on the hard-court press and he is having 2nd thoughts.

Wow you are glass half full aren´t you :)

I say no way (not that it is impossible he won´t show up tonight at CEC but that that has been the plan the whole time) because
1.) He was reportedly negotiating new terms with UC president and AD yesterday. That wouldn´t happen if your proposal was true
2.) Zero reports that there has been a meeting with the players yet. He would have wanted them to know first before the media and everyone else jumped on it.

What you described above is not "indecision".

That is the frustrating part. This things go belly up all the time but less so after the dog and pony show. It sounds like he was convinced before he left (and even extended his time here) but he got back and Cinci`s team put on the hard-court press and he is having 2nd thoughts.

It doesn't seem like many other places do the dog and pony show. It doesn't appear Gundy ever made the trip to Arkansas to view their facilities - yet he was offered the job there. I never even heard Bielema's name mentioned, so I would assume he never went on a tour of the place - yet he took the job there. It just seems unique that CU (and Purdue, for that matter) would bring out the coach, give him the big show, bring in the big donor, hide him behind a food cart, etc. - and not actually have the deal sewn up already.

I kind of look at it like this - the longer it draggggsss on the more it looks like he is coming to Boulder. I feel he is really struggling with the move, telling his players and informing his family (3 boys, remember?). The money and a major University with lots of tradition + being the BIG man in a little college town is what is staring him in the face. If he has not came out and said I am staying put... then something is up with that - I think deal was done on Monday and he is waiting for the right time to announce...CU will let him coach in his bowl game then he is Boulder bound IMO.

yup.. only mistake is not getting him to sign on dotted line b4 going back...bohn had to know cinci was not going to just say "see ya" to bj

It doesn't seem like many other places do the dog and pony show. It doesn't appear Gundy ever made the trip to Arkansas to view their facilities - yet he was offered the job there. I never even heard Bielema's name mentioned, so I would assume he never went on a tour of the place - yet he took the job there. It just seems unique that CU (and Purdue, for that matter) would bring out the coach, give him the big show, bring in the big donor, hide him behind a food cart, etc. - and not actually have the deal sewn up already.
I have no idea what % of searches include it, but I think when you are a program that has had a lot of egg on its face and are not known for having strong facilities compared with your peers I think it would be natural for the prospect to want to see what he is getting into. And in the case of CU wanting to share plans for facilities upgrades, it makes sense he would come.

Also, I think his wife has an impact on his decision and she wanted to visit Purdue and Boulder to provide her input. But I agree with you it is surprising that his visit wasn´t just a formality. I get the impression that Bohn et al kind of thought it was to seal the deal but he wasn´t quite ready to put pen to paper. But as you all know I don´t know ****.

Thank you for your classy commentary about your coach in light of the situation.

We have been through what seems like a decade of straight losing and we are anxious to get a coach we can believe in to return us to our former glory. Cinci has become a cradle of coaches and I am impressed w their on-field performance despite minimal fan support, etc.

Let´s hope both teams are better off this time next year :)

Jones would definitely turn around your program. If the fan support is there like you say, that would be huge for him because he spends a lot of time here drumming up support. Either way CBJ decides to go, he will be successful with that program, it is a matter of which of us is left to scramble for someone else!!

He might be sitting in his house on Miami Ave Terrace Park OH reading AllBuff - trying to decide on his future fan base

Last edited:
I kind of look at it like this - the longer it draggggsss on the more it looks like he is coming to Boulder. I feel he is really struggling with the move, telling his players and informing his family (3 boys, remember?). The money and a major University with lots of tradition + being the BIG man in a little college town is what is staring him in the face. If he has not came out and said I am staying put... then something is up with that - I think deal was done on Monday and he is waiting for the right time to announce...CU will let him coach in his bowl game then he is Boulder bound IMO.

The thought for the delay here in Cincy is that he is working with the new Prez on a deal to upgrade facilities. This has been on our roadmap for a couple of years and sometimes it takes massive amounts of pressure to get movement, and that may be what this is. Not saying I know anything for sure, but that is what I am hearing.

I've never seen people with so much to say about something they know so little about. This is speculation on top of conjecture on top of speculation on top of impatience.

I've never seen people with so much to say about something they know so little about. This is speculation on top of conjecture on top of speculation on top of impatience.
You are just speculating that we don't know anything.

Jones would definitely turn around your program. If the fan support is there like you say, that would be huge for him because he spends a lot of time here drumming up support. Either way CBJ decides to go, he will be successful with that program, it is a matter of which of us is left to scramble for someone else!!

What exactly does he do off the field besides academics. You mentioned he is very tied in to the students/community

What exactly does he do off the field besides academics. You mentioned he is very tied in to the students/community

He is a big part of benefits and charities. Spends a lot of time visiting elementary schools all over the city and talking to them about reading and education. Remember, we are an urban campus right next to downtown and some bad areas, these little kids look up to him and his players. He also is very close to our Basketball Coach, Mick Cronin. Those 2 and their teams are seen at all sporting events supporting each other, much like the "Family" atmosphere you keep hearing about.

You are just speculating that we don't know anything.

Well the bigger the city, well the brighter the lights
The bigger the dog, well the harder the bite
I don't know where you been last night
But I think mama, you ain't doin' right

(Chorus)
Say I know a little
I know a little about it
I know a little
I know a little 'bout it
I know a little 'bout love
And baby I can guess the rest
Well now I don't read that daily news
'Cause it ain't hard to figure
Where people get the blues
They can't dig what they can't use
If they stick to themselves
They'd be much less abused

(Chorus)

Play me a little, oh yeah
Yeah

Well if you want me to be your only man
Said listen up mama, teach you all I can
Do right baby, by your man
Don't worry mama, teach you all I can

(Chorus)

Well I know a little 'bout love
Baby I want your best

Last edited:
The thought for the delay here in Cincy is that he is working with the new Prez on a deal to upgrade facilities. This has been on our roadmap for a couple of years and sometimes it takes massive amounts of pressure to get movement, and that may be what this is. Not saying I know anything for sure, but that is what I am hearing.

If that is the reason for the delay, then he needs to sack up and tell Colorado no. Colorado came to him with facility promises that will dwarf what Cinci is offering. For such a "great guy" he sure does seem to like to shop around for new programs, and then drag his feet and drag everybody else along with him for the ride. Color me not really impressed so far.

I'm still optimistic. I agree that he got home late and only talked to his family last night. It could be worse, we could have gotten an outright no like Purdue. I know the recruits are watching this closely. I know of one uncommitted one that is watching what is happening. We might be back in the running if Jones comes here.

If that is the reason for the delay, then he needs to sack up and tell Colorado no. Colorado came to him with facility promises that will dwarf what Cinci is offering. For such a "great guy" he sure does seem to like to shop around for new programs, and then drag his feet and drag everybody else along with him for the ride. Color me not really impressed so far.

If it hurts his negotiations to stay at UC he would probably care less how long he drags CU on, but i don't think he would do that. I think he is trying to quickly gauge if he has any interest from Wisconsin before he commits either way. We both have to admit they are a step up from both our programs and he would be unwise not to check them first.

I was just reading an article about Jones on CBS Sports, and I had no idea how bad they were. They have a 35,000 seat stadium capacity and only drew a CSU like 21,000 for senior night when they have a good program. If Butch decides to stay, the dude is crazy.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21267708/cincinnati-coach-jones-weighing-his-options

Yeah - adding improvements and more seats doesn't fix fan apathy. It is CSU all over again. They may get the private funding, but they can't buy fan support.

CU is the state's flagship University. We also worry about fan apathy and compete with the Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, etc. But we drew 35k fans despite many of our fans (myself included) burning our season tickets to protest the trajectory of the program (i.e. fire Embree now).

Throw in the uncertainty of the Big East and all the issues with super conference uncertainty and Butch Jones needs to leave Cincy now. Unless he thinks he can go one more year and get some other job he covets more, he should leave now.

How is his team setup for next year? Should they be even better or will they take a step back?

Cpaw-1 more question. How would you grade Jones as a gameday coach and coaching in general? Do you have any stories on recruiting? TIA

If it hurts his negotiations to stay at UC he would probably care less how long he drags CU on, but i don't think he would do that. I think he is trying to quickly gauge if he has any interest from Wisconsin before he commits either way. We both have to admit they are a step up from both our programs and he would be unwise not to check them first.

That is my take as well

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah - adding improvements and more seats doesn't fix fan apathy. It is CSU all over again. They may get the private funding, but they can't buy fan support.
CU is the state's flagship University. We also worry about fan apathy and compete with the Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, etc. But we drew 35k fans despite many of our fans (myself included) burning our season tickets to protest the trajectory of the program (i.e. fire Embree now).

Throw in the uncertainty of the Big East and all the issues with super conference uncertainty and Butch Jones needs to leave Cincy now. Unless he thinks he can go one more year and get some other job he covets more, he should leave now.

How is his team setup for next year? Should they be even better or will they take a step back?

His team is heavily loaded next year, much better than this years team. It is easy to diagnose our attendance from the outside, but very rarely does someone understand. Our attendance is up well over 50 percent from 5 years ago. Growing up in Cincy, people were not UC football fans, we did not have a good team nor a good conference. We were a basketball school, and people supported them and the Pro teams. Not until 6 years ago did the team begin making progress and joining a decent conference, did success in the stand come. My kids are UC football and basketball fans and want to see the games, not OHIO STATE fans, which is a complete change in culture in the city. As kids graduate they are now becoming season ticket holders, that did not happen before. Young kids want to go now, that did not happen before. It is a culture that is changing and is taking some time for the brand and loyalty to grow, but it is. I could go much more in depth but Butch understands this dynamic as does the true fan base, it is the people that just look at the attendance numbers that don't.

Back