What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Defensive Line in 2014

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This is the season we had circled when so many DLs were recruited in that 2012 class and played as true freshmen.

After 2 years of learning on the job and taking some lumps along with showing some flashes, this is the year they're supposed to break through.

Josh Tupou: Is he ready to become an All Pac-12 level DT?

Justin Solis: Will he recover from his spring issues and be the battery mate to Tupou that gives the interior of OLs nightmares?

Tyler Henington: Will the move to DE allow him to finally give CU an anchor on the outside who holds the edge?

Samson Kafovalu: Will he get his off field issues handled and be a disruptive swing DL?

Working in with that Class of 2012 are more questions and more hope for the 2014 season:

Juda Parker: As a senior, will we finally see the HS All-America potential as a pass rusher now playing DT?

The Sophomores...

Leo Jackson: Will the JUCO transfer make an immediate impact in 2014 at DT?

DeJon Wilson: Another bookend who can hold the edge at DE while getting a push?

Clay Norgard: Now playing his natural position at DT, can the undersized lineman cause problems for OLs on passing downs?

Jimmie Gilbert: Has he added the strength to fulfill the pass rush potential to replace Chidera as a starter at DE?

The RS-Freshmen...

Derek McCartney: After grayshirting and redshirting, is he ready to build on his spring and become a playmaker at DE?

Markeis Reed: After transforming his body and putting his hand on the ground, can Reed be another pass rusher?

Tim Coleman: Almost played as a true freshman but got hurt, can he make it back and force his way onto the field?

The true Freshmen...

Eddy Lopez: There's an opportunity for a full-sized DT in the rotation, but will he seize it?

Jase Franke: Will he redshirt for a year of training table or is he ready now?

Terran Hasselbach: Will the high level coaching & training he has gotten make him ready to contribute right away?

Michael Mathewes: Some have said he is the impact freshman in this class, but will he take a starting DE job?

Lots of names on the list. Most of them were not participating this spring. There is a ton of work this summer and fall ahead of this unit.

I think the 2014 defense hinges on how this group performs.

Can they command double teams and keep the athletes we now have at LB and NB clean to pursue to the ball?

Can they generate a pass rush to allow our promising secondary to create turnovers?

Can they possibly be playmakers themselves and change the line of scrimmage in a positive way this year?

I'm excited to see how this shakes out in fall camp. Right now, I don't know whether this year's DL will be good, average or a liability.

I'd like to think that all the frosh will redshirt. I do think that each of the Frosh have a lot of potential. Hope perhaps.

I feel good about our DBs and LBs. The D really does come down to whether the DL can create enough disruption on their own and give our backfield the opportunity to create some turnovers. If the DL shows up, we will be a much better defense this year...a big IF.

The same can be said for the OL. I feel good about the skill positions, but without the OL it will be another ugly year on offense and the corresponding pressure a bad O puts on the D...especially in the PAC12.

This stuff is pretty obvious, but it feels good to have lots of good things to say about the team for a change. I'm still looking for 2015 to be the Buffs breakout year, with 6-7 wins then.

The more we can redshirt, the better - particularly along the OL and DL.

I'm inferring from Nik's post that he feels like there is a lot of potential with this DL, and that this *could* be a real break out year. I tend to agree, but only because I can't quite bring myself to be pessimistic all the time.

I'm also hoping (and this is a stretch, believe me) that the development of the DL is going to help our OL improve. Hopefully, by playing against a solid DL in practice every day, the OL will start to make strides. If not, I fear this will be another difficult year.

Solis and Kafovalu are the key. If they both can come back from academic issues and have a productive summer, then we are in business. I like the potential of this group, but all hinges on these two, imo. I think we can create some good pass rush up the middle with our dt's. I'm pretty confident in Solis returning. Not so sure on the other.

Back