What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Denver Post Botched Scoop

There are varying degrees of errors that are allowed in journalism.

Getting a big scoop wrong is second only to plagiarism in terms of massive **** ups. It's one thing to cite an anonymous source on a small detail and get it wrong. It's quite another thing to tarnish your employer's reputation by being the first news organization to report a false story.

Please tell me where you disagree.

I'm strongly suspect that Butch Jones told CU yes yesterday. I'm confident there was at least once source to confirm it.

So if that's the case, the story was accurate. Prematurely released, perhaps, but accurate.

Bottom line: until we know the due diligence performed by the reporter and the newspaper, we can't fairly make judgments like this. There's a good chance the DP got the scoop right, and then stuff changed.

And as I said before, if Jones' camp leaked the scoop, it will serve as strong evidence that we were played (and the DP too).

Which is exactly why people ought to be fired for this sort of thing. If there is no recourse for reporting outright false stories, then how do you distinguish between the Denver Post and some anonymous douchebag's twitter feed? All they have is their reputation.

For as much **** as we give Kyle Ringo, he deserves credit for not feeding into the rumor mill on this one.

If Mike Bohn called a Post reporter and said he had an oral agreement that Johnson would become the CU head coach, then the Post is justified is reporting that story. That the story turned out to be "outright false" doesn't change that. The problem, if there is one in this instance, is the reporter's judgment in trusting the source and the tone of the report, which didn't leave much room for error on the source's part.

I'm strongly suspect that Butch Jones told CU yes yesterday. I'm confident there was at least once source to confirm it.

So if that's the case, the story was accurate. Prematurely released, perhaps, but accurate.

Bottom line: until we know the due diligence performed by the reporter and the newspaper, we can't fairly make judgments like this. There's a good chance the DP got the scoop right, and then stuff changed.

And as I said before, if Jones' camp leaked the scoop, it will serve as strong evidence that we were played (and the DP too).

If Mike Bohn called a Post reporter and said he had an oral agreement that Johnson would become the CU head coach, then the Post is justified is reporting that story. That the story turned out to be "outright false" doesn't change that. The problem, if there is one in this instance, is the reporter's judgment in trusting the source and the tone of the report, which didn't leave much room for error on the source's part.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The report was, by definition, inaccurate. Never at any point was it true.

Platti is acting like the source didn't come from inside the department. He has also said there was never a deal in place. If their source was anyone other than Mike Bohn, you can't run the report. If it came from Bohn's mouth himself, then perhaps I'll think about coming down off my soap box... But I doubt that was the case.

Pretty sure it was a Clown College.

Couldn't have said it better.

DerekDooley.jpg

This and pretty sure it is what happened

Please, under that standard, the New York Times reports false stories every day. Journalists have sources and rely on those sources for information. The Denver Post heard from a source that it was a done deal and reported it. That the source had it wrong (maybe the source was correct at the time) doesn't necessarily mean it was bad journalism. It depends on who the source was, etc.

I will say that anonymous sourcing is a problem for journalists and it borders on ridiculous to use an anonymous source for a sports story, but because fans apparently insist on instant gratification and can now find it on the internet instead of in traditional media, crappily sourced stories will continue.

That they didn't wait to confirm, or even call for the obligatory denial before posting is absurd.

Back