What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Denver Post Editorial: Time to fire Mike Bohn

Spite can be pretty powerful. I like Mike Bohn out of spite for Klatt, Mac, Big Al, et al.

Paper is a rag. When cu is good they gush. When they are down they criticize. Full of mid market writers who couldnt write a story to save their lives. Give it a couple years and theyll be in love with us again

Can somebody explain something to me?
What has Bohn done that's so awful? If we take football out of the picture, Bohn looks great. Into the PAC-12, men's and women's basketball on the way up. So, put football back in. The Hawk hire was acclaimed pretty much universally at the time. Turned out Hawk was a mess. Bohn's fault? The one thing you can really blame Bohn for was the Hawk extension. Very bad idea in retrospect.

That extension, combined with the Big 12 buyout, meant there was no money for Hawk's replacement. So there was a very limited field for the Embree hire. It was a Hail Mary that didn't work. They rarely do. So know there's money in the budget and Jones was his first choice. Turned out Jones was a d-bag. Bohn's fault? Maybe a little, but turns out Jones is a pretty convincing d-bag.

He's not completely blameless in all this, but the venom some have for Bohn seems over the top. Let's see where the hire goes from here. Going back to the drawing board makes very little sense at this point.

Bohn should be fired for not hiring a compulsive liar? WTF Denver Post. So dumb. Butch played everyone. and they're blaming Bohn. This joker had everyone fooled.

What if Bohn is smarter than us? I've been skeptical of his leadership but as I hear/read all the drive-by hacks take swipes, most recently this DP editorial, I've become more interested in actually dissecting the moves he's made.

Firing Embree= not popular but right football & business decision (DP ed agreed last week).

"Disasterous Press Conference" = Bohn was very transparent, allowed JE to speak, allowed current & former players to attend, took on all questions and stood up tall in the firing line. When was last time you saw this by a leader? Should he have controlled it, limited who attended, read from a PR consultant-paid script? He gave the Buff family a chance to be part of the closure, they hung themselves by their response, but it was healthy for them b/c he allowed it. CU may look like amatures b/c of the presser but I think it was doing right by the closer Buff circle.

"Botching BJ hire" = Really? This is all on Bohn? My gut is that BJ was leveraging CU, would have taken it but HE drew out the process when caught wind higher profile opportunities where coming up in next 24-48 hrs. Bohn showed his cards w/ advertised 2.3M/yr + upgrades but why hide those facts? Now other coach candidates know what's on the table and may be attracted away from their current gigs.

Agree that MB's public persona comes across like a politician but my gut tells me there is MUCH more (relevant) behind the scenes work going on and this is how it should be. The local radio shows act like the reality of the search and negotiations is based on the information they have. Like Plati told Klatt, 'You know know less than 10% of what's really going on behind the scenes so shut-up and stop hurting the situation....' (paraphrasing)

+1

Larry Scott wanted the Denver market and it was Ceal berry who brought in Lappe. Everyone wants to give Bohn so much credit for PAC 12....

Larry Scott wanted the Denver market and it was Ceal berry who brought in Lappe. Everyone wants to give Bohn so much credit for PAC 12....

Gee, last I saw Ceal's title was ASSISTANT AD. I didn't realize assistants could hire?

As for credit for the Pac 12, how soon we forget that the Tejas market is even bigger and our leetle friends in Tejas were aiming for a huge Pac coup for themselves, while the douchebags from Bailer were working hard to stick their Baptist noses through the fence at CU's expense. Bohn had to do some fancy holding manuevers to keep things focused and pointed in CU's direction, before everything settled down to its current state

Neil Woelk posted this on Facebook tonight:

NW Woelk
5 hours ago ·

Interesting to see Denver Post's take on Colorado AD Mike Bohn. Post says Bohn should be ousted because he "botched" hiring of Butch Jones. The Post is the paper that "scooped" the world by announcing that Jones had agreed to a deal with CU -- and when the Post was wrong, they are now demanding that the Colorado AD pay for the newspaper's mistake. Not sure how CU botched the offer. Colorado presented a legitimate, very competitive contract. What Post is really ticked off about is the paper got played by an agent with some bad info, which helped the coach land an even better deal with Tennessee. Bad source, bad info and the paper looked foolish. Also interesting to note that Post didn't even identify reporter with the "scoop." Post's reaction has strong hint of sour grapes: "We were wrong so somebody should be fired." Interesting journalistic approach, to say the least.

Yeah, and Boyle fell into his lap, right? Keep drinking that B4L koolaid, pal.

What if Bohn is smarter than us?
"Disasterous Press Conference" = Bohn was very transparent, allowed JE to speak, allowed current & former players to attend, took on all questions and stood up tall in the firing line. When was last time you saw this by a leader? Should he have controlled it, limited who attended, read from a PR consultant-paid script? He gave the Buff family a chance to be part of the closure, they hung themselves by their response, but it was healthy for them b/c he allowed it. CU may look like amatures b/c of the presser but I think it was doing right by the closer Buff circle.

I think you watched a completely different press conference. Bohn handled a couple parts well, like Klatt attacking him, but the rest of the time he was tongue tied to talking points that weren't very relevant to the questions he was answering. Then he went on a tangent to explain the dire straights the AD is in, which we'd all agree may be reality, but they don't need to be laid out and rehashed for a national audience. He did the same thing at Hawk's presser 2 years ago that told everyone that CU is dirt-poor, and that idea still gets repeated to this day, even in light of the salary figures quoted to Jones.

I'm not of the crowd that assumes Bohn is the dumbest human being on the planet, but he screwed up that day. And very little of it gave me confidence in Bohn as a leader.

The B4L bunch are starting to look like tick's on a hound dog, They are sucking all the life out of C.U.

Yeah, and Boyle fell into his lap, right? Keep drinking that B4L koolaid, pal.
He did. Bohn was dead set on someone else. It was a bunch of phone calls from Larry Brown saying "Wait - interview this guy" that made Bohn interview the guy.

Yes I do give Bohn credit for Boyle. And if Texas wanted to be in the PAC 12 they would. They found it was beneficial not to join. And not drinking any BFL koolaid broseph..

Gee, last I saw Ceal's title was ASSISTANT AD. I didn't realize assistants could hire?

As for credit for the Pac 12, how soon we forget that the Tejas market is even bigger and our leetle friends in Tejas were aiming for a huge Pac coup for themselves, while the douchebags from Bailer were working hard to stick their Baptist noses through the fence at CU's expense. Bohn had to do some fancy holding manuevers to keep things focused and pointed in CU's direction, before everything settled down to its current state

Get a clue. She played for Ceal Berry.

He did. Bohn was dead set on someone else. It was a bunch of phone calls from Larry Brown saying "Wait - interview this guy" that made Bohn interview the guy.

Someone refresh my memory - who was the supposed "first choice" ahead of Tad?

McLane. He had previously been the HC at Wyoming, and was the lead assistant under Bzdelik. Furthermore, Dunlap was just behind him in most people's minds. Tad was considered a distant third. Most folks thought he was only given an interview to help his chances in landing a bigger job someplace else.

Bohn wanted Dunlap, was dead set on him. Boyle only got the interview because of all of the impossible-to-ignore references coming in. Then he crushed the interview.

I've haven't been posting this week, mostly because what I know I can't share, and what I know is making me lose my mind. I'm also pretty sure that if I put anything out there, it's going to get leaked. I know it's only because we all desperately want to know what is going on, and because we care so much.

In every sci-fi show, there is inevitably the episode where the main characters get placed in an alternate reality, and almost immediately someone (who they are friends with in normal reality) runs up to them, pointing a gun in their face, shouting "What faction are you?!?!?"

This is what Buff Nation feels like right now. There are divisions and factions. Critical of Bohn? Buffs4Life scum. Tuned out? Not a real fan. Blindly supporting whichever candidate is going to be hired? Part of the problem. I kind of just want to know which faction I'm in, so when one of you asks me at gunpoint, I'll know how to answer.

BuffNut can I ask you a question that shouldn't compromise your knowledge of the situation? Are there discreet inquiries coming into the Department from existing coaches? I'm guessing there are, and I'm hopeful that the people making this decision are looking at all of them cautiously, not rushing into this decision.

I'm not asking for names. I just have a suspicion that the job isn't the 'dead end' that some make it out to be. Quiet inquiries by the agents of existing coaches would help me confirm that, at least in my mind.

PS Interesting comment about Bohn / Dunlap / Boyle. I thought Boyle was "the guy" all along. It turns out they were both good choices, although I still wonder if Dunlap would've succeeded in pulling talent in here. Boyle is doing a lot better than I thought he would with recruiting.

So do you like what you hear or should we just give up now buffnut?
I think we're going to have to get our **** together real fast, then pull an inside straight. The Butch betrayal was shellshocking. There was no Plan B. There wasn't much movement in the 48 hours after Butch reneged. I'm not sure of any movement this weekend. It is possible that things are being handled so deftly and surreptitiously that a hire could be rolled out to everyone's surprise this week. But that level of dexterity and sealed lips has not been on display at any point in this process or any other. What makes this process so different is the bunker mentality that is shutting out so many people and University aspects that are normally part of the process - so, it is possible that things are moving. I just don't think it's happening, given all the givens.

Biosonic - not aware of any such inquiries from existing coaches, but there are alot of channels that those come through, I only get wind if they happen a certain way.

Buffedup - my wife will tell you "bad"

Last edited:
I think we're going to have to get our **** together real fast, then pull an inside straight. The Butch betrayal was shellshocking. There was no Plan B. There wasn't much movement in the 48 hours after Butch reneged. I'm not sure of any movement this weekend. It is possible that things are being handled so deftly and surreptitiously that a hire could be rolled out to everyone's surprise this week. But that level of dexterity and sealed lips has not been on display at any point in this process or any other. What makes this process so different is the bunker mentality that is shutting out so many people and University aspects that are normally part of the process - so, it is possible that things are moving. I just don't think it's happening, given all the givens.

Biosonic - not aware of any such inquiries from existing coaches, but there are alot of channels that those come through, I only get wind if they happen a certain way.

Hmmmmm...:drink:NOT hope inducing...

Thanks for your candor. Your comment about having no Plan B is what has infuriated me the most about how "coaching searches" are conducted. They aren't searches at all, which is why we're in this predicament. The Jones experience is embarrassing. We're a better program with higher expectations than all this. "Plan A" should always be this: Find a circle of candidates who are legitimately interested in taking this job. With our understanding of what it takes to succeed here, pick the one who is the right fit. They might all be good in their current jobs, but that doesn't mean they're the right fit for this place. These guys take a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach to hiring, and it just leaves too much to chance.

I'm just not convinced that Bohn and the others understand what it takes to be successful here. I hope they nail it this time, but I'm kind of cringing about what's about to happen. They really, really need to take their time and do this right, finally.

Back