What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derek Mason, Vanderbilt HC

Mason's a good guy and a solid football coach. But I don't see the argument that he can take the CU program to the next level, which I thought was what this hire was all about. Vandy got worse under him from where Franklin had it.

That looks like lazy reporting. Probably just googled coaches that fit and didnt look any deeper

Vanderbilt wins this season:

Middle Tennessee State
Nevada
Tennessee State
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Tennessee

Not much different from the coach we just got rid of. RG would need an intervention if he muttered Mason's name.

Derek Mason: After a recent SB Nation article tied Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason to the Colorado opening, the Tennessean asked Mason about that possibility. Mason’s response was, “it would be unfair to my student athletes and Vanderbilt University” to comment director on that opening.

That's not denial.

Derek Mason: After a recent SB Nation article tied Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason to the Colorado opening, the Tennessean asked Mason about that possibility. Mason’s response was, “it would be unfair to my student athletes and Vanderbilt University” to comment director on that opening.

That's not denial.
Nope. I'd assume he would love to have this job if his agent can get it for him.

I'd also assume that Rick George isn't stupid and means it when he says he's hiring with a goal of winning championships.

He does check a lot of boxes

HC experience
Pac 12 ties
Youngish disciplinarian

Still no thanks

That's not denial.

If there was mutual interest Mason would already have been announced. It’s not him.

He does check a lot of boxes

HC experience
Pac 12 ties
Youngish disciplinarian

Still no thanks
Other than that box of this CU hire being about taking a mediocre program to a championship level and Mason's current job performance being that he took a program from a bit above mediocre down to mediocre.

I dont think so. The season barely ended there's still a process in hiring any coach
It’s not impossible, but because of recruiting, RG would be getting his guy here fast if they were available.

Also, RG has had basically 10 days already on his search. My money is on a guy still coaching in a championship game.

Would not be thrilled with Mason, but not a total no for me. If he brought in someone like Yost from Utah State to run the offense and then hired some recruiters....ehh, I'm having to talk myself into this way too much. Nevermind.

Would not be thrilled with Mason, but not a total no for me. If he brought in someone like Yost from Utah State to run the offense and then hired some recruiters....ehh, I'm having to talk myself into this way too much. Nevermind.
He would definitely be a wait and see hire. Can be bring in a better staff and recruit better being back out West and at a program positioned better for winning than Vandy? I can make a case it could work out but there are a lot of if's with where his staff could go, IMO.

Such lazy reporting! A better story would have been that he and MM agreed to trade jobs last year!

That's not denial.

Spoken like a coach who has had to scratch and claw his way to 6-6 in year five. Trying to jump while he still can.

Buddy in Nashville says this rumor is all the talk right now, and all the talking heads are asking why he would make a lateral move ... ****ing depressing. This hire is so critical to us being nationally relevant again.

Hiring Mason would be like Ole Miss hiring Mac last season- taking on a struggling coach who has done some good things right before the wheels come off.

i would not be happy with this at all.....would not be happy with “mountain west guy” either....give me lake,day, or
Tosh and swing for the fences!

Buddy in Nashville says this rumor is all the talk right now, and all the talking heads are asking why he would make a lateral move ... ****ing depressing. This hire is so critical to us being nationally relevant again.
Sounds like Derek and his agent played those comments perfectly to inflate his value.

Back