What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derrick White - All PAC-12 First Team!

Chautauqua

Club Member
Club Member
Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball will likely make first team all PAC-12 and they are both very deserving. Derrick White's incredible year has been overshadowed by these two, even though by advanced metrics his season compares favorably with both of them. PAC-12 PR is not going to leave the possible #1 and #2 picks in the NBA draft off of the first team. As BBall Fan mentioned below, there are 10 spots on the first team. I think DW deserves one of those spots.

I wanted to take this opportunity to celebrate Derrick White's season by showing off some of his gaudy PAC-12 rankings using advanced statistics. It's a shame that this kid most likely won't get to play in the NCAA tournament. Link for statistics (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/pac-12/2017.html#all_leaders).

Player Efficiency Rating

1.Dillon Brooks Oregon 28.0
2.Markelle Fultz Washington 27.9
3.TJ Leaf UCLA 27.4
4.Derrick White Colorado 26.1
5.Jordan Bell Oregon 25.9
6.Chris Boucher Oregon 25.5
7.Lonzo Ball UCLA 25.5
8.Reid Travis Stanford 25.4
9.Kyle Kuzma Utah 24.7
10.Lauri Markkanen Arizona 24.6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Win Shares
1.Lonzo Ball UCLA 6.2
2.Lauri Markkanen Arizona 5.6
3.TJ Leaf UCLA 5.2
4.Derrick White Colorado 5.1
5.Jordan Bell Oregon 4.9
6.Bryce Alford UCLA 4.6
7.Ivan Rabb University of California 4.4
8.Lorenzo Bonam Utah 4.3
9.Kyle Kuzma Utah 4.2
10.Josh Hawkinson Washington State 4.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Box Plus/Minus
1.Jordan Bell Oregon 13.5
2.Lonzo Ball UCLA 12.7
3.Derrick White Colorado 11.3
4.TJ Leaf UCLA 10.5
5.Dillon Brooks Oregon 10.1
6.Lauri Markkanen Arizona 9.2
7.Markelle Fultz Washington 9.2
8.Kingsley Okoroh University of California 8.9
9.Kadeem Allen Arizona 8.9
10.Chris Boucher Oregon 8.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
I also love that Derrick White is in the top ten in Block Percentage in the PAC-12. He's easily the best guard in the PAC-12 when it comes to blocking shots. Pretty good case for PAC-12 All Defense.

Block Percentage

1.Chris Boucher Oregon 11.8
2.Kingsley Okoroh University of California 10.8
3.Jordan Bell Oregon 8.0
4.Drew Eubanks Oregon State 7.8
5.Wesley Gordon Colorado 6.9
6.Thomas Welsh UCLA 5.3
7.Chimezie Metu USC 5.1
8.Derrick White Colorado 5.0
9.Elijah Stewart USC 4.2
10.De'Anthony Melton USC 3.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Do they go by production or preseason hype. Can't take away what happened on the court
I like to think they go by production, but the cynic in me thinks that hype has an influence.

That said, there are various ways to interpret production. A lot of people might only have exposure to the traditional counting stats: Points, Assists, Rebounds, etc measured per game. However, these types of stats can be misleading because they vary with context and can be inflated when a player has a really high usage rate. I think stats that combine production with efficiency are better at explaining which players do the most to help their team win. These can be controversial as well, because there is a lot of ways to calculate them. However, in DW's case it doesn't matter because he comes out near the top no matter which advanced metric you use.

I'm sure there have been bigger ones ... but I can't recall a bigger recruiting miss than Derrick White. Maybe he didn't show much in HS (is there any HS tape out there?) and just skyrocketed in college. But looking at sophomore highlights from CUCS on Youtube, he looked he had the same game then as he does now. Can;t imagine it was due some stellar coaching or competition at CUCS. It's kind of an amazing story IMO.

I'd think he's our most complete player since Alec Burks, and might be better. We would have been BAAAAD without him this year. Since he's a kind of tweener size wise, and not a true PG, he may not get drafted but he deserves a legit shot as a FA.

Congrats to White. He was a pleasure to watch. I hope he lands in the NBA.

I'm sure there have been bigger ones ... but I can't recall a bigger recruiting miss than Derrick White. Maybe he didn't show much in HS (is there any HS tape out there?) and just skyrocketed in college. But looking at sophomore highlights from CUCS on Youtube, he looked he had the same game then as he does now. Can;t imagine it was due some stellar coaching or competition at CUCS. It's kind of an amazing story IMO.

I'd think he's our most complete player since Alec Burks, and might be better. We would have been BAAAAD without him this year. Since he's a kind of tweener size wise, and not a true PG, he may not get drafted but he deserves a legit shot as a FA.
He was a good player in high school, but not great. He was in the same class as Josh Adams, Josh Scott, Wes Gordon, (I'm also spacing on the other guy's name from Chap), Xavier Talton. I think those guys overshadowed him, and for good reason. He was also like 5 foot 10 (which has been talked about a bajillion times). I wouldn't say he was quite a miss, but surprised he didn't get picked up a year earlier after his sophomore year at UCCS.

He was a good player in high school, but not great. He was in the same class as Josh Adams, Josh Scott, Wes Gordon, (I'm also spacing on the other guy's name from Chap), Xavier Talton. I think those guys overshadowed him, and for good reason. He was also like 5 foot 10 (which has been talked about a bajillion times). I wouldn't say he was quite a miss, but surprised he didn't get picked up a year earlier after his sophomore year at UCCS.

Definitely a miss for a program like University of Denver. He could have been a program changer for them. Hopefully Billups can pick up recruiting there.

Definitely a miss for a program like University of Denver. He could have been a program changer for them. Hopefully Billups can pick up recruiting there.
I mean hindsight is 20/20. He averaged 12 points a game as a Junior and shot 38% from the floor. Your Junior year is when you usually get recruited. I'm glad he turned out the way he did and we were able to snag him.

His greatness is just starting to settle in. He's gotten better and better as the season has gone on. He's become more comfy with his role, his teammates, and mostly the competition level. If I"m a pro scout, I weigh that in. This kid is still figuring out who he is. He was never a PG at UCCS. Love his ceiling, but really, really, really love what he gave us this year. Cheers!

I'd say he is a more complete player than Burks, although not as great of a scorer or athlete. I also think he gets drafted - likely 2nd round just due to relative anonymity and also a slight frame...??? While it was good because I didn't get to see the messy disappointments, I'm sort of annoyed I didn't get to watch more CU and White this year. Every time I could catch a game, he stood out and was my favorite to see since Higgins. Spencer, Roberson, Scott, etc...all fun to watch. White though stands out to me - perhaps part of the reason why our team struggled so much. Congrats to a great players, and seemingly a great kid!

His story is going to get a lot of play during the P 12 tourney - the cooking school, 3 years in D II, etc. May make CU a bit more attractive to the NIT.

Speaking of NBA potential, my NBA player comp for him is Malcolm Brogdon (I'm hoping @CVilleBuff can get in this thread and tell me how far off I am). Both are older players, who are tweeners with the ability to be a secondary ball handler, great college defenders, high character, hard working players.

Going by sports-reference advanced stats, White was one of the top 10 point guards in the country

White ranks as
3rd in PER
4th in True Shooting %
3rd in Effective Field Goal %
6th in Total Rebound %
7th in Assist %
1st in Block %
6th in Turnover %
6th in Offensive Rating
5th in Defensive Rating
3rd in Box Plus/Minus

Some good numbers. From all the national guys you would not realize that.
His age will be a deterrent as draft favors the young or international player.
Like the articles say he doesnt get here without the doubts and having to prove himself each step of the way

Derrick was exceptional before he came to CU. But I think it shows that Tad can further develop players. There's been discussion about Tad's player development, and it has been hit and miss. Derrick improved as the season went on. For what it's worth, and I may be wrong, but more players have gone pro/NBA under Tad than previous CU coaches.

Well earned. He didn't have the pre-season hype and he was on a team that didn't get much attention or national play but still made the team. He also didn't do it by being a huge 30ppg type scorer instead doing it with an all-around game. The all-defense recognition is big for these same reasons.

He acknowledges that coming out of HS he wasn't a D1 player, he didn't even have a lot of D2 offers.

I think some NBA team is going to get a bargain with him. Lots of guys can score but he can and will do it all.

What a bummer. One and done. Sucks that a kid has to sacrifice a year when they move up a division.

HELL TO THE ****ING YEAH!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS DERRICK!!!!

Sure this season was a big disappointment..... but White certainly wasn't. Its always great to see a Colorado kid do well up in Boulder, and an honor like this just makes it sweeter. Here's hoping he absolutely kills it during his NBA workouts and gets drafted in the 1st round. He certainly has the talent for it.

Back