What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Different Games Within the game vs. WVU

Daaah

Club Member
Club Member
It seemed as if there were two different offensive games within the game against WVU. There were the first 5 minutes of the game and OT in which it looked like our offense could not be stopped by the WVU defense, and there was the rest of the game where we failed to score any points. I'm convinced that we could have punched it in for a TD there at the end of the game if we were so inclined.

So, I ask. What was the difference between the times when we moved right along down the field, and the times when we couldn't score? Aggressiveness, playing not to lose, WVU's defense, or just luck? How do we get to the point where we can score throughout the game on offense? This seems to be a reoccurring problem for the Buffs over the last few years. We'll have a really hard time beating better teams if we can't score throughout the game.

So, I ask. What was the difference between the times when we moved right along down the field, and the times when we couldn't score? Aggressiveness, playing not to lose, WVU's defense, or just luck? How do we get to the point where we can score throughout the game on offense?

Execution in a nutshell.

Cody is still young and learning. He needs to realize that despite good protection he can't hang on to the ball forever. Turnovers and penalties plagued the 'Buffs vs. WVU. You usually don't win the games where those mistakes are made so prevalently. Good teams (i.e. -- the 'Buffs) just find a way to win, period.

Stupid penalties are killers.

Most everything missing from last Thursday's game had to do with coaching. These things can be fixed during the season. CU was beating themselves much more than WVU was stopping them. Thankfully WVU shot themselves in the foot during OT. That was the difference.

With so many young guys on the squad I have no doubt that the coaching will come through and you'll see significant improvement during the year.

Win the battle in the trenches. Win (or don't lose) the turnover battle, and don't give the opposing team freebies with penalties. Do these simple things and you'll be winning most of your games.

I agree with the execution to an extent, we had a lot of receivers stumbling out of their breaks which made the timing passes just out of reach. We had a couple of drops. We had several missed blocking assignments. We had a couple of, what I am guessing, wrong routes run on timing patterns which made Cody look like he was clueless but probably weren't attributable to him at all. We had running backs failing to follow the fullback into the hole numerous times; I think this is an issue with the shotgun.

We also had Sumler coming in to pass block on every 3rd down, broadcasting our intentions to the WV defense. Coaching issue there. We ran in the middle of the line with 1 back sets and Cody under center instead of the gun; I would think the gun is more conducive to a 1 back run.

We are a young team that will get much better with experience.

The WV team visibly deflated after the missed kick in OT, we won without taking a snap.

I walked away from that game thinking CU could have easily won it 35-14, or lost it 21-14. Two turnovers in WVA territory, one on the 15 yard line, really hurt. Dropping a sure pick six at the end of the first half also hurt. But WVA also did some stuff that kept them in the game.

Two years ago, we would have lost this game. In fact, this game reminded me very much of the UGA game that we should have won, but didn't. Well, we did win this one. That tells me that this team is starting to "get it". We'll see how they do over the next 3 games. Go 2-1 and we're really on to something. Go 0-3 and we're fighting for a bowl bid.

Back