What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Direct TV wins

A LA carte will never happen. Go look at how many channels Viacom or ESPN or any big studio owns. They have no interest in selling anything but the whole bundle to consumers.

The big cigars in the studios agree with you.

My personal experience is trending towards a little a la cart.

Directv gets our family's business. But so does Apple TV and AT&T U-Verse Internet.

Most TV minutes come through DirecTV, for studio programming favored by kidskid and the Mrs.

But we never use Dirctv for ppv. Three or four movies per month are purchased through iTunes and the Apple hockey puck.

All the Pac 12 network is viewable on the computer or tablet through

Truth is that Directv doesn't have all of my wallet. They are leaving several hundred dollars on the table.

i doubt I'm alone in this buying behavior. Over time, that share will continue to erode to the likes of Hulu, Netflix, and more IP options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been able to watch every pac12 game this year via streaming sites. (The game thread on reddit.com/r/cfb usually has a good link to a stream).

Really in the end, we lose (p12 fans) We've been forced to either switch carriers or not see any games. In the past, I was able to watch at least 10 CU games a year, via DTV here on the east coast. That number is now 2 this year, CSU and UCLA. My only option locally is 30 miles to downtown DC. Sucks!

When? CU hasn't had 10 games a year televised in years.

I cut cable a few years ago and love it. We do Roku, Amazon, Hulo & HD antenna.

Downside is that I miss some stuff I'd like to see, but I get enough to make it a win for me. So happy not to pay those guys every month.

Not true, our last 4 years in the Big 12 this is how many games we had televised:

2010 - 9
2009 - 11
2008 - 10
2007 - 10

Yeah, but how accessible were those games on a nationwide basis? I don't remember getting anywhere near that many in Phoenix. I get that DirecTV has a ton of subscribers the Pac-12 needs access to. I also understand that the pricing structure DirecTV has prescribed for gaining that access would damn near bankrupt the Pac-12 Network.

The only people saying "DirecTV Wins" are DirecTV subscribers who don't get the Pac-12 Network. Definition of sour grapes. I, for one, have been extremely pleased with the coverage. For example, I was able to log-in to my cable account from work yesterday afternoon to watch CU-Harvard. In the "olden days," the game wouldn't have been televised period in Phoenix and the stream would have either been illegal or PPV.

EDIT: I also have Sunday Ticket by virtue of taking advantage of the Madden 25 offer. Best of both worlds. Some people should have given it more thought.

Last edited:
I suckered the mother in law to get pac12 network. I haven't missed a football or basketball game yet. It is very easy to stream on a computer and even easier to stream to a big TV.

When? CU hasn't had 10 games a year televised in years.

Um, actually he's close. Though some were on some obscure channels and not in HD. Some of these channels were not available in some markets.

2011. 13 of 13 on TV
Sat, Sep 03 Hawai'i at Honolulu, Hawai'i L 17-34 ESPN2 ▪ 760 AM KKZN
Sat, Sep 10 CALIFORNIA BOULDER L 33-36 OT FCS-Pacific ▪ 760 AM KKZN
Sat, Sep 17 Colorado State Denver, Colo. W 28-14 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 24 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio L 17-37 ABC/ESPN2
Sat, Oct 01 *WASHINGTON STATE BOULDER L 27-31 FCS-Pacific ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 08 *Stanford at Palo Alto, Calif. L 7-48 Versus ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 15 *Washington at Seattle, Wash. L 24-52 ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 22 *OREGON BOULDER L 2-45 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 29 *Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. L 14-48 ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Fri, Nov 04 *SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BOULDER L 17-42 ESPN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Nov 12 *ARIZONA BOULDER W 48-29 FCS Pacific ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Nov 19 *UCLA at Pasadena, Calif. L 6-45 Versus ▪ 850 AM KOA
Fri, Nov 25 *Utah at Salt Lake City, Utah W 17-14 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA

2010. 8 of 12 games on TV
Sat, Sep 04 Colorado State Denver, Colo. W 24-3 The Mtn. ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 11 California at Berkeley, Calif. L 7-52 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 18 HAWAI'I BOULDER W 31-13 FCS ▪ 760 AM KKZN ▪
Sat, Oct 02 GEORGIA BOULDER W 29-27 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 09 *Missouri at Columbia, Mo. L 0-26 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 16 *BAYLOR BOULDER L 25-31 FCS Central ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 23 *TEXAS TECH BOULDER L 24-27 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 30 *Oklahoma at Norman, Okla. L 10-43 ESPN2 ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 06 *Kansas at Lawrence, Kan. L 45-52 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 13 *IOWA STATE BOULDER W 34-14 FCS ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 20 *KANSAS STATE BOULDER W 44-36 850 AM KOA ▪
Fri, Nov 26 *Nebraska at Lincoln, Neb. L 17-45 ABC ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪

2009. 11 of 12 games on TV.
Sun, Sep 06 COLORADO STATE BOULDER L 17-23 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Fri, Sep 11 Toledo at Toledo, Ohio L 38-54 ESPN ▪ 760 KKZN
Sat, Sep 19 WYOMING BOULDER W 24-0 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Thu, Oct 01 West Virginia at Morgantown, W.Va. L 24-35 ESPN/ESPN360 ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 10 *Texas at Austin, Texas L 14-38 ESPN/ESPN360 ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 17 *KANSAS BOULDER W 34-30 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 24 *Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan. L 6-20 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 31 *MISSOURI BOULDER L 17-36 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Nov 07 *TEXAS A&M BOULDER W 35-34 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Nov 14 *Iowa State at Ames, Iowa L 10-17 850 KOA
Thu, Nov 19 *Oklahoma State at Stillwater, Okla. L 28-31 ESPN ▪ 850 KOA
Fri, Nov 27 *NEBRASKA BOULDER L 20-28 ABC ▪ 850 KOA

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days of CU games on FCS. If they didn't smear the vaseline on the camera lens too thickly, sometimes you could almost tell what was happening. As long as you didn't listen to the announcers, who were bound to confuse the **** out of you..

Sunday ticket still will have value for sports bars in the next contract, but I don't think sunday ticket is as exclusive as it was a few years ago to the home viewer. The difference? When the NFL introduced the red zone channel a couple of years ago to other cable providers it diminished the value of sunday ticket for the average home viewer. I have directv and on most sundays I just watch the red zone channel, not an out of market game. When my directv contract is up i'll be looking for the best deal with a carrier that has red zone channel and pac 12 network - losing sunday ticket won't be that big of a deal. For this year I'm streaming pac 12 network to my big screen tv through my brother's comcast account and google chromecast. That works well but still I would prefer having pac12 network as part of my cable or satellite package (I can't record off of comcast streaming, for example)

Um, actually he's close. Though some were on some obscure channels and not in HD. Some of these channels were not available in some markets.

2011. 13 of 13 on TV
Sat, Sep 03 Hawai'i at Honolulu, Hawai'i L 17-34 ESPN2 ▪ 760 AM KKZN
Sat, Sep 10 CALIFORNIA BOULDER L 33-36 OT FCS-Pacific ▪ 760 AM KKZN
Sat, Sep 17 Colorado State Denver, Colo. W 28-14 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 24 Ohio State at Columbus, Ohio L 17-37 ABC/ESPN2
Sat, Oct 01 *WASHINGTON STATE BOULDER L 27-31 FCS-Pacific ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 08 *Stanford at Palo Alto, Calif. L 7-48 Versus ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 15 *Washington at Seattle, Wash. L 24-52 ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 22 *OREGON BOULDER L 2-45 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 29 *Arizona State at Tempe, Ariz. L 14-48 ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA
Fri, Nov 04 *SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BOULDER L 17-42 ESPN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Nov 12 *ARIZONA BOULDER W 48-29 FCS Pacific ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Nov 19 *UCLA at Pasadena, Calif. L 6-45 Versus ▪ 850 AM KOA
Fri, Nov 25 *Utah at Salt Lake City, Utah W 17-14 FSN/ROOT ▪ 850 AM KOA

2010. 8 of 12 games on TV
Sat, Sep 04 Colorado State Denver, Colo. W 24-3 The Mtn. ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 11 California at Berkeley, Calif. L 7-52 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Sep 18 HAWAI'I BOULDER W 31-13 FCS ▪ 760 AM KKZN ▪
Sat, Oct 02 GEORGIA BOULDER W 29-27 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 09 *Missouri at Columbia, Mo. L 0-26 FSN ▪ 850 AM KOA
Sat, Oct 16 *BAYLOR BOULDER L 25-31 FCS Central ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 23 *TEXAS TECH BOULDER L 24-27 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Oct 30 *Oklahoma at Norman, Okla. L 10-43 ESPN2 ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 06 *Kansas at Lawrence, Kan. L 45-52 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 13 *IOWA STATE BOULDER W 34-14 FCS ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪
Sat, Nov 20 *KANSAS STATE BOULDER W 44-36 850 AM KOA ▪
Fri, Nov 26 *Nebraska at Lincoln, Neb. L 17-45 ABC ▪ 850 AM KOA ▪

2009. 11 of 12 games on TV.
Sun, Sep 06 COLORADO STATE BOULDER L 17-23 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Fri, Sep 11 Toledo at Toledo, Ohio L 38-54 ESPN ▪ 760 KKZN
Sat, Sep 19 WYOMING BOULDER W 24-0 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Thu, Oct 01 West Virginia at Morgantown, W.Va. L 24-35 ESPN/ESPN360 ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 10 *Texas at Austin, Texas L 14-38 ESPN/ESPN360 ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 17 *KANSAS BOULDER W 34-30 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 24 *Kansas State at Manhattan, Kan. L 6-20 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Oct 31 *MISSOURI BOULDER L 17-36 FSN ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Nov 07 *TEXAS A&M BOULDER W 35-34 FCS ▪ 850 KOA
Sat, Nov 14 *Iowa State at Ames, Iowa L 10-17 850 KOA
Thu, Nov 19 *Oklahoma State at Stillwater, Okla. L 28-31 ESPN ▪ 850 KOA
Fri, Nov 27 *NEBRASKA BOULDER L 20-28 ABC ▪ 850 KOA
Well played Miami, well played. Fact of the matter is I was able to watch 2 this year, with the addition of the Pac-12 network. I've been holding out hope the P-12 or DTV will cave. I have until next August for that to happen. After that, I'll make the switch.

Ah, the good old days of CU games on FCS. If they didn't smear the vaseline on the camera lens too thickly, sometimes you could almost tell what was happening. As long as you didn't listen to the announcers, who were bound to confuse the **** out of you..

Exactly. Watching FCS in SD was absolutely brutal. Have seen every single CU game the last two years in HD. I don't know the solution with DirecTV. Its unfortunate the onus appears to be on PAC fans proving we are passionate for the channel by changing providers. If Scott and the PAC are counting on that as their leverage, will probably be SOL. So it then comes down to whether they can get anywhere close to their revenue projections caving in to DirecTV. And to be honest, that really is my primary motivation. Would love to get an extra couple million a year in TV distribution.

Yeah, but how accessible were those games on a nationwide basis? I don't remember getting anywhere near that many in Phoenix. I get that DirecTV has a ton of subscribers the Pac-12 needs access to. I also understand that the pricing structure DirecTV has prescribed for gaining that access would damn near bankrupt the Pac-12 Network.

The only people saying "DirecTV Wins" are DirecTV subscribers who don't get the Pac-12 Network. Definition of sour grapes. I, for one, have been extremely pleased with the coverage. For example, I was able to log-in to my cable account from work yesterday afternoon to watch CU-Harvard. In the "olden days," the game wouldn't have been televised period in Phoenix and the stream would have either been illegal or PPV.

EDIT: I also have Sunday Ticket by virtue of taking advantage of the Madden 25 offer. Best of both worlds. Some people should have given it more thought.
With the upgraded DTV sports pack? All of them! Like was stated above though, some weren't in HD, most were with AWFUL announcers, but they were there. The sour grapes comment is funny though, of course I am sour! I can't watch my Buffs right now, and that makes me sour! I am glad you are happy with your coverage and blah blah blah, but am I not allowed to be somewhat frustrated?

2009 was brutal. Five games not on Saturday. Three of the Saturday games kicked off before noon. And it was clear as a Powder Blue sky that Dan Hawkins wasn't getting it done.

They weren't available in Denver either, unless it was ppv. Thanks for the post Miami, I did not have access to the majority of the non ESPN/ABC games and assumed they weren't televised.

Last edited:

Yeah. The pirated p12 net on my ipad looked 10x better than that channel. Or root. Or versus.

Well played Miami, well played. Fact of the matter is I was able to watch 2 this year, with the addition of the Pac-12 network. I've been holding out hope the P-12 or DTV will cave. I have until next August for that to happen. After that, I'll make the switch.

I think the model that DTV is using is at over capacity and its nearing critical mass. You companies like Disney coming in and demanding 40 channels for everything from ABC to ESPN to Disney. Yet, in truth you only want 4 of those 40 channels. DTV, as the delivery system only has so much bandwidth which is why Root, FCS, and Versus were often not in HD.

If its true you can add dish for $20 and sports for $8 that's a pretty cheap supplement to keeping DTV.

If you have family nearby you you can use their box. Each DVR after the primary receiver is $10 a month. Have your dad, brother or friend add it an then take it over to your place. I have DVR with Miami TV stations in my house that's on my dads account. Or maybe you offer a dish DVR to them in exchange for DTV DVR.

They weren't available in Denver either, unless it was ppv. Thanks for the post Miami, I did not have access to the majority of the non ESPN/ABC games and assumed they weren't televised.

I see it says there was TV too. But I remember a lot of them being radio only for me.

I think the model that DTV is using is at over capacity and its nearing critical mass. You companies like Disney coming in and demanding 40 channels for everything from ABC to ESPN to Disney. Yet, in truth you only want 4 of those 40 channels. DTV, as the delivery system only has so much bandwidth which is why Root, FCS, and Versus were often not in HD.

If its true you can add dish for $20 and sports for $8 that's a pretty cheap supplement to keeping DTV.

If you have family nearby you you can use their box. Each DVR after the primary receiver is $10 a month. Have your dad, brother or friend add it an then take it over to your place. I have DVR with Miami TV stations in my house that's on my dads account. Or maybe you offer a dish DVR to them in exchange for DTV DVR.

Wait. Does this really work?

With the upgraded DTV sports pack? All of them! Like was stated above though, some weren't in HD, most were with AWFUL announcers, but they were there. The sour grapes comment is funny though, of course I am sour! I can't watch my Buffs right now, and that makes me sour! I am glad you are happy with your coverage and blah blah blah, but am I not allowed to be somewhat frustrated?

Sure you are. I just disagree with the premise of the thread that DirecTV has "won" something. In fact, we would have switched to DirecTV long ago if they offered the Pac-12 Network. (Before the comments start suggesting we contact DirecTV and let them know, we have already told them at least three times).

BTW, there are going to be a lot of pissed off DirecTV viewers in Arizona this weekend. Apparently the UA-ASU game is on the Pac-12 Network only.

where is this $20 dish package? The cheapest I see is $30 that probably jumps to $50 after 12 months.

Wait. Does this really work?
yes, it really does. Well, sort of. Here's the thing:
1. It is a violation of the TOS - if, on the off chance the account holder gets audited, they're screwed.
2. It does not work on the Hopper/Joey system (not sure about DTV's genie thing).

Which means if you want to do it on Dish, you have to go through a third party retailer and buy one of the non-Hopper/Joey systems. If the person you know has dish (or dtv), and they do have the Hopper (or genie?), then no, you/they can't do it, but if they don't have it, then yes you could. All you have to do is a. buy a receiver, b. have them activate it, c. buy an antenna for your house, d. install/aim the antenna, e. carry the activated box to your house and watch.

I've seen EVERY p12 game this year. **** directv.

I'm with you...I don't get the constant griping. I have not missed a Buffs B-ball or football game yet and I live 2500 miles away from Boulder, it really is about your priority. If you would rather have the Sunday ticket than watch the Buffs, go with Directv, if watching CU sports is your top priority go with literally any other provider. If there's an out of market football game that I want to watch I can go to a bar/friends or stream it.

If DTV wins then it's a net loss for the CU AD's budget. The only losers in this are people that won't switch from DirectTV. With that said if direct tv becomes the sec networks bitch.....

So the Pac-12 Network is getting a few dollars but are screwing the fans and saying it's their responsibility to switch providers. Doesn't sound like the best marketing strategy, not to mention the lost exposure for the conference.

Now carry on with your Larry Scott love fest.

Back