What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Direct TV wins

This is also in the article, which is basically what it comes down to and I don't see this changing unless DTV loses exclusivity on Sunday Ticket or the Pac-12 decides it wants to market the conference better:

Exactly. That's what I was saying in the previous post (not the response to a response you quoted above). I don't blame DTV for its business practices. I do question the loyalty of DTV subscribers, though, if they value PACN as something they want to watch.

Why is it so wrong for Larry Scott to value the Pac at a level comparable to the Big Ten Network? Getting a fraction of their fees is a slap to our face IMO. If you're happy with your current programming keep it. If you're not happy with it let your carrier know.

I think that for whatever reason DirecTV has pegged a battle with the Pac and has no desire to carry them for anything close to the value they put on other conference networks. I'm glad Larry Scott is not bowing to them.

At the same time, I want Larry Scott gone because I don't think we'll be a respected conference as long as our officiating takes center stage over the athletic contests. It's time to produce a quality product and that won't happen with our terrible officials. Larry Scott has done a fair job in increasing our revenue as a conference overall, but I'm not convinced he can do much more or get a deal done with DTV much less figure out how to get decent officials for our sports.

Yes, as has been explained to you ad nauseum. What is hilarious is that by refusing to switch, you are the problem. Not Scott, not even DTV.

I am switching.

I think the landscape is changing fast enough in the industry that the assumptions for make up profits in the long run are just that, assumptions.

going all the way back to my initial post, To add some context: The USC game was 4 hours from kick, I was irritated that I was not going to be able to watch it. I was amazed at the lock Direct has on the bar market. We just moved a year ago and I remember thinking Scott had said in a release that a deal with Direct would be done by the 2013 season, so I went with Direct hoping to get the best of all worlds. Didnt pan out. From my position as a casual observer it appears that Scott over promised by over playing his hand. I quickly posted my frustration to AllBuffs, the perfect spot to take the floor and say, "sucks I wont be watching CU tonight, I blame Larry." I'm also on record pages ago as stating that this is my emotional reaction. Larry's fault, Direct TV's fault, I truly don't have a **** in the fight.

Last edited:
I tried switching. I was with Comcast for five months. They managed to piss off my family and me so much that I could never go back. Just yesterday, we're watching TV and an ad for Xfinity comes on. Both my wife and daughter chime in and say "Please, don't EVER do that to us again".

If Comcast didn't suck so bad (TV service only, I won't deny their internet service is fantastic), they would have kept me as a customer. As it stands, it was worth more to me to have a happy family than to stick it to DTV.

I still think the best weapon to use is to find bars that don't carry the P12 network and put the pressure on them. DTV doesn't give a damn what I do, but they might care if Old Chicagos calls them up and tells them they need to carry the P12 network because it's causing Old Chicago to lose customers.

switching to Dish as soon as my contract is up. Excited for Comcast internet and P12 network. At this point even if Direct Tv gets the P12 network I am going to switch and let them know I am leaving because they screwed with their customers for so long.

Anyone have any ideas on how to pull content from the DVR to a computer? I have some CU basketball games (NCAA tourney) that I would like to save. I spent some time reading a few forums but never found a great answer.

For those with comcast limited basic you can add the sports package now. You don't have to get the full package and can stream it online.

I tried switching. I was with Comcast for five months. They managed to piss off my family and me so much that I could never go back. Just yesterday, we're watching TV and an ad for Xfinity comes on. Both my wife and daughter chime in and say "Please, don't EVER do that to us again".

If Comcast didn't suck so bad (TV service only, I won't deny their internet service is fantastic), they would have kept me as a customer. As it stands, it was worth more to me to have a happy family than to stick it to DTV.

I still think the best weapon to use is to find bars that don't carry the P12 network and put the pressure on them. DTV doesn't give a damn what I do, but they might care if Old Chicagos calls them up and tells them they need to carry the P12 network because it's causing Old Chicago to lose customers.

It is really too bad you went with Comcast instead of Dish. Dish has been absolutely fantastic. I made the mistake of switching from Dish to Comcast about 5 years ago and then switched back to Dish as quickly as I could . I realized how good Dish was and the "deal" I was offered for the tripple play was just not worth it. We are now happy to be Dish customers and to also have the PAC12 Network. Cannot say enough about the overall quality of Dish and the service we have received. Will be moving to the Hopper soon.

That said, I don't blame DirecTV. They've got their own numbers they're looking at. They've got the NFL negotiations coming up. They'll need a war chest for that if they want to have a prayer of re-upping as the exclusive supplier of Sunday Ticket. And they have to be positioned to base their business model on something other than sports programming if they can't get the Sunday Ticket deal done. As part of this, they're also looking at ESPN charging exorbitant fees, forcing networks like LHN on carriers, competition coming at ESPN from Fox, CBS and NBC, and serious questions of whether the law of diminishing returns has reduced the value for all sports network carriage. DirecTV's main competitor, Dish, is currently battling ESPN for this reason.

And, of course, google and others are coming hard with digital stream programming that may completely change the landscape and could cause these carriers to be caught with their pants down if they're locked into rich long-term deals when the world shifts.

I don't fault Larry Scott. His valuation of PACN has been justified and confirmed by other carriers.

I don't fault DirecTV. They're in a state of flux with their business model and future.

Look folks. A poster that's capable of using logic to understand the business side of it. Imagine that.

DTV positioned itself as the sports fan's provider of choice. Back when they were a growth company they were agressive in signing deals to get channels and to get fans $$$. They're not a growth comany anymore. They had a bandwidth advantage back then too thats now gone. And there are clouds on the horizon for them, mainly probably the ending of the NFLST monopoly and having to compete with someone else for those customers.

Meantime all the whinny selfish fans in this thread are beside themselves that they are not ignoring that future and caving in and signing p12n. Would you stay if the bill went to $150 monthly to include p12n?

Last edited:
Would you stay if the bill went to $150 monthly to include p12n?

I would say any increase to their subscriber fee and blaming it on the cost for the PAC N at best is disingenuous. Don't they already charge a sports subsidy fee? The PAC N is asking for ~80 cents in foot print and ~10 cents outside. For their subscriber base - wild guess probably ~25 cents a month average?

I would say any increase to their subscriber fee and blaming it on the cost for the PAC N at best is disingenuous. Don't they already charge a sports subsidy fee? The PAC N is asking for ~80 cents in foot print and ~10 cents outside. For their subscriber base - wild guess probably ~25 cents a month average?

DTV currently pays the NFL $900,000,000 per season for NFLST. How much do you think it will be next round?

How is it you think your not already paying for it monthly in your current bill? And given that rise its hard to imagine the bill not rising to $120, $130 to keep DTVs business model sustainable. Adding p12n will not make the bill to up cause were not going to get anything close to NFLST money.

As usual, I am guilty of skimming a post and missing the context. You are right to assume they are going to have to dig deep to keep that exclusivity with the NFL.

I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for Pac12 on my bill if DirecTV added it. The NFL Sunday Ticket isn't all that appealing to me, 98% of the games I would never watch. All Bronco games are already on and I have no desire to pay for 16 Jaguar, Titan, or Viking games. I've had ST and Redzone at different points in the past and found myself watching Redzone much more often and can get that on the other carriers.

We have had this thread before and it still stays the same.

Unless something dramatically changes I'm very happy with Dish. I get all the Buffs football games, most of the basketball games, may daughter can even watch a decent number of Buffs women's BB games.

My customer service has been excellent and they don't pull that crap of hooking you with a low price and then doubling it a year in. There have been price increases over the years but they have been reasonable, especially compared with the other carriers.

The only thing I don't get in the NFL direct ticket and frankly I wouldn't pay for that if they offered it. I get all the Broncos games as well as the other network games including Sunday nights, Monday nights, Thursday nights. Rarely there is an out of market game that I would have liked to have seen but if it is significant they usually replay it on NFL network anyways. Bottom line is I am much more interested in getting my college games than seeing every NFL game.

I'm hoping at some point we can just obtain a subscription to PAC network outside of pay TV. I realize that ain't happening anytime soon, but a fan can dream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@CUFan, that won't happen. Choice is not profitable.

Why I said a fan can dream. I am hoping at some point this ridiculous model of forcing people to buy all sorts of channels they don't care about will collapse and we will actually have choice one day.

In my perfect world, I get over the air channels and subscribe to PAC network only. Use Amazon to buy shows I want to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for Pac12 on my bill if DirecTV added it. The NFL Sunday Ticket isn't all that appealing to me, 98% of the games I would never watch. All Bronco games are already on and I have no desire to pay for 16 Jaguar, Titan, or Viking games. I've had ST and Redzone at different points in the past and found myself watching Redzone much more often and can get that on the other carriers.

But a big chunk of their fans and the additional revenue they get is from NFLST. The next owner of that may pay 1.1bbl per year for it. In addition to avoiding the p12n ill assume they are also avoiding other deals to horde cash ahead of the bidding. So, there likely will not be p12 deal next season either. Unless of course the NFL rules DTV out of the group of finalists.

Same here if the 2 sides would agree to it. From what I understand P12 isn't agreeing to this model for some reason. Thought I've read that P12N wants DTV to add their network with no added cost to the customers.

For those with comcast limited basic you can add the sports package now. You don't have to get the full package and can stream it online.

Thanks for letting me know. I checked on this in the past and it wasn't an option for me with the dual package thing. I'll have to check again now.

One other thing to consider about the ala carte idea is that people think that fewer channels will mean lower cost. The channel providers sell a lot of advertising based on the number of homes that these channels are in. Unbundling the channels would mean that the providers would charge a lot more for the individual channels negating much of the savings to the consumer. Another argument is that people say they don't want to pay for things like the home shopping channels, the religious channels, etc. In fact those channels are paying the cable/satelite companies to be there. Remove them and again you end up increasing the cost of providing the channels you want to watch.

I'm going to guess that when we start seeing streaming options from Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc they are going to end up looking a lot like the options we already have with cable/satelite.

Same here if the 2 sides would agree to it. From what I understand P12 isn't agreeing to this model for some reason. Thought I've read that P12N wants DTV to add their network with no added cost to the customers.
They won't do it because it would be a much better deal than their current providers have. I think they'd be a wee bit pissed if DirecTV received a sweetheart deal.

All this talk about the a la carte dream.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could just re-set my channel order so that it made sense.

Why can't all the ESPNs, FoxSports, CBSsports, NBCsports, Root, Big 10 Network, Pac-12 Network, etc. all be next to each other?

What about Discovery, Science, Nat Geo, History, History2, etc.?

When I've got 400 ****ing channels, it would be nice if they were at least arranged in some semblance of order.

All this talk about the a la carte dream.

Hell, I'd be happy if I could just re-set my channel order so that it made sense.

Why can't all the ESPNs, FoxSports, CBSsports, NBCsports, Root, Big 10 Network, Pac-12 Network, etc. all be next to each other?

What about Discovery, Science, Nat Geo, History, History2, etc.?

When I've got 400 ****ing channels, it would be nice if they were at least arranged in some semblance of order.
I can identify 400 channels I'd trade in for the PAC 12 Network.

Thanks for letting me know. I checked on this in the past and it wasn't an option for me with the dual package thing. I'll have to check again now.

They now offer HBO with limited basic if you have internet (Performance or higher) for free--well, technically $69.99. Same price as without. The sports package doesn't have ESPN or ESPN2 and Fox Sports, but it gets the vast majority of Buff games.

Sunday Ticket really has nowhere else to go but DTV. A deal will be worked as that is DTV's big pull. DTV is not, repeat, not, going to budge. If you want P12 you have to leave DTV. I have been saying this for about two years now. I spoke with a muckity muck at DTV back then, and it was recently reconfirmed. They fear Scott not.

I would be shocked if the NFL truly wants to limit its revenue by not allowing greater access to its product.

I would think that allowing more providers and access to streaming would bring in a higher net revenue for the NFL.

I can see DTV carrying NFL Ticket, but I would be surprised if they're the exclusive carrier.

I agree though that if you want P12 Net you won't be seeing it on DTV anytime soon.

Back