What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

directv and nfl renew sunday ticket

It is an interesting dynamic with AT&T being the acquirer but DirecTV having a much larger subscription base. There are going to be serious politics going down for wrestling long term control of this business (and I am glad to be no where near it).

a few clarifications. att as a business is much, much larger than dtv. concerning tv, dtv has way more traditional TV subs than att uverse. both directv and att uverse license programming from all the majors. the "control" of the business will be firmly in the hands of att. the control of the content business and perhaps the tv business in general, i would speculate, will be well-populated with dtv people.

the rights that uverse has and that dtv has are not likely to align perfectly. the language, the scope of the grant of rights, the programming lineups, the costs, etc. will vary substantially and perhaps even materially between the 2 licensing entities. they will work to sort this out, over time, and in the process of doing renewal deals with their existing network partners.

we don't know if the p12 will be a priority for the combined entity. we don't know where it will fall in the pipeline for renewal. we don't know what other bigger and more expensive issues they are sorting through on the programming front.

we only know att uverse (and maybe they have like 5mm subscribers or something like that) has the p12 and that directv (and maybe they have like 20mm+ subscribers) does not have the p12.

also, if you look at the filings and such, att views this as a footprint play. they want to bundle voice/data, etc. with the dtv tv services. the uverse fiber overbuild was super expensive and time consuming. this gets them a whole bunch of new customers (even accounting for overlap of current consumers who have both att services and dtv services). this isn't just about tv for att. it is about bundling and increasing arpu, increasing net adds, and reducing churn. the more people vending from att for more key services, the better, in att's view.

Amazing. My Dad worked for AT&T for 35 years. He built phone systems. They've come a long way.

ATT is an official partner of the Pac-12 though, so once the merger closes you would think that ATT would want Pac12 distribution on DTV because of those corporate ties.

You would think that, but it doesn't always work that way, as some companies are just plain stupid. I remember when the Cubs were still owned by the Tribune Company (included WGN), and all the games except the occasional GOTW was WGN. Well, as the years went on, the Tribune Company got more and more shortsighted, and kept selling the rights to other channels like Comcast sports. Not only were they losing TV ratings on WGN, they were losing part of their fan base (displaced Cubs fans or fans who grew up on watching the Cubs on WGN). The company was more interested in the quick buck than what made more sense in many other areas. That said, I hope AT&T isn't stupid.

I've been mostly happy with my switch from Century Link - Directv to Comcast Xfinity. However, could Century Link be more jacked up on proper cancellation of their service and final billing?
1) Originally told on Aug 28th that my call to Century Link completed my cancellation of both services and that Directv would be sending me a box to return my equipment
2) On Sept 25th, I realized I had a net new bill pending with Century Link and called them up. No record of my cancellation order, but fortunately they believed me and backdated my cancellation back to Aug 28th. Before hanging up, I asked again about Directv and this time was told I have to call them direct to complete the cancellation.
3) I am now staring at yet another new bill from Century Link, this time with a credit for Century Link internet backdated to Aug 28, but a net new month of Directv - despite the fact Directv also sent me an invoice stating I had a refund I was going to receive.

Welcome to the convoluted word of telecom billing...

Back