What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we upset a big dog this year?

Do we upset a big dog?

• Total voters
you aren't getting this, are you?

Alabama is in the SEC. Alabama played an SEC schedule.....Alabama got bent over by Utah.

CU has done nothing to compare that to in a decade. talking shizz about Utah learning how to swim makes no sense in light of the present, of the last decade. dig?
Gotta go with Mick here. 'Tini, as much sense as you're making in the other thread about Hawaii, you're off base here. Utah has done more recently than we have. Hopefully we're about to change that.

That's fine but until they play a BCS schedule year in and year out and have the same result I stand by my comment.

That could be the right assessment, but it's still weak to poo-pah Utah unless you have credible reasoning. It's not their fault they were formerly in a weaker conference in recent times, but they never shied away from big time competition (think @ Ann Arbor) and here they are.. asking for more by joining the Pac12. In other words, it's inconclusive that Utah can't handle a BCS sched but it is conclusive they are successful against "superior" competition- they have been walking the walk just fine so far. So I'd STFU with your statements (or at least acknowledge they are only theories) until they are actually proven true, because if the Utes kick everyone's ass (including ours) in the Pac12 this year, how is that going to make you (CU fans) look? Because really, given our record the past 10 years, it's really not our place talk ****** smack like that while living in the past.

You could argue that Utah is doing what we ds in the 90's right now but all I am saying is that if they played in the SEC or PAC or one of the Bigs they wouldn't have been in the Sugar Bowl. They're a good team but I think they'll fall off a bit going into a BCS conference.

That could be the right assessment, but it's still weak to poo-pah Utah unless you have credible reasoning. It's not their fault they were formerly in a weaker conference in recent times, but they never shied away from big time competition (think @ Ann Arbor) and here they are.. asking for more by joining the Pac12. In other words, it's inconclusive that Utah can't handle a BCS sched but it is conclusive they are successful against "superior" competition- they have been walking the walk just fine so far. So I'd STFU with your statements (or at least acknowledge they are only theories) until they are actually proven true, because if the Utes kick everyone's ass (including ours) in the Pac12 this year, how is that going to make you (CU fans) look? Because really, given our record the past 10 years, it's really not our place talk ****** smack like that while living in the past.

Signed,

Someone who is obviously not a nebraska fan.

You could argue that Utah is doing what we ds in the 90's right now but all I am saying is that if they played in the SEC or PAC or one of the Bigs they wouldn't have been in the Sugar Bowl. They're a good team but I think they'll fall off a bit going into a BCS conference.

maybe what you say is true, but they DID beat ALABAMA.....so scoreboard is on the side of peeps who argue the opposite.

scoreboard.

I hope you're right (see what I did there JRK?). I guess we're about to find out.

Gotta go with Mick here. 'Tini, as much sense as you're making in the other thread about Hawaii, you're off base here. Utah has done more recently than we have. Hopefully we're about to change that.
They 100% have done more than us the past decade. We've been utter **** for the better half of it I just wanna see how Utah does in a BCS conference before I crown them.

They 100% have done more than us the past decade. We've been utter **** for the better half of it I just wanna see how Utah does in a BCS conference before I crown them.

There is a difference between 'little kid learning to swim' vs crowning the Utes. Nobody is saying the latter, okay?

It has to be said that Utah beat the hell out of an Alabama team that wanted no part of the Sugar Bowl. Obviously Utah was still damn good that year as Alabama would have rolled plenty of teams without even trying, but it was clear from the opening snaps of that game that Alabama was not interested in the game at all. If they had been playing in a playoff type format where the winner moved on to the NCG, I feel confident in saying that it would have been a very different game.

It has to be said that Utah beat the hell out of an Alabama team that wanted no part of the Sugar Bowl. Obviously Utah was still damn good that year as Alabama would have rolled plenty of teams without even trying, but it was clear from the opening snaps of that game that Alabama was not interested in the game at all. If they had been playing in a playoff type format where the winner moved on to the NCG, I feel confident in saying that it would have been a very different game.

really? that's how we are going to play it? "the team that didn't try?

i'll take scoreboard over the "team that didn't try"excuse every day.

really? that's how we are going to play it? "the team that didn't try?

i'll take scoreboard over the "team that didn't try"excuse every day.

At the end of the day, it's the scoreboard that matters.

But bowl games have unique dynamics. Truthfully, I believe that many bowl games would have a very different outcome, if they were only played one month prior.

One of those dynamics, in my opinion, is the disappointed team syndrome. That disappointment is amplified over weeks of practice and preparation. I think that CU would have shown up a bit more for 2002 Fiesta, for instance, if Barnett wasn't whining so much about being left out of the Championship game.

And I believe that nebraska fell well short of its best effort at the end of the 1990 season.

The general feeling at the time of the Utah v. Bama (for which I was very much rooting for Utah) was that The Tide's disappointment was reflected by their performance. Right? Wrong? I don't know, but Pete's opinion isn't without precedent.

I don't feel like Utah is going to be terrible going into the PAC 12, but I do expect a little bit less success for the first year or 2. That doesn't mean they end last in the conference like some people have been bold enough to say, but I plan on them going maybe 8-4 or 7-5 rather than the 10-2 type seasons they're used to. And looking at their seasons when going 10-2 or 12-0, they're seasons that CU probably could have gone 9-3 or 8-4 in. I get that beating Alabama in the sugar bowl to finish an undefeated season is impressive, but there will be a difference in performance when they start playing higher level teams week after week rather than getting TCU, BYU and another Bama/ND/Mich type team as the only real complicated areas spread throughout the season. I expect Utah and CU to have pretty equivalent seasons this year

I understand the argument that Bama didn't want to be in the Sugar Bowl... but I find it lame. Yes Alabama had just lost the SEC championship to Florida (who went on to win the National championship), but that was the only game Bama had lost all year and they had held the number one ranking in the country for 9 weeks prior to losing that contest.

They were considered by most to be the huge favorite in that game and it was still the BCS Sugar Bowl. If they were playing for pride in their other games... they all of a sudden didn't care about representing Bama and the SEC in the Sugar Bowl? Bullsh!t.

When Utah played Pitt in the 2004 Fiesta Bowl... we really didn't want to play Pitt either... we wanted Auburn... but that didn't happen, so we beat Pitt 35-7.

I know I don't post here that much, but I read here a lot. I was always a fan of C.U. while growing up in Denver. The chihuahua joke was just that and it was made after a funny slam on the Utes.

As a Utah fan I'm stoked to be competing with C.U. in the new PAC and look forward to traveling to Boulder next year for the game.

Utah's schedule this year is gonna be tough (Pitt and BYU scheduled out of conference) and it remains to be seen how our depth will hold up to the weekly grind. Our quarterback got hurt last year and it really effected our season.

Colorado will most definitely improve with the new financial resources of the PAC 12 and your already outstanding University and campus.

Anyway... here's to a great game. If any of you make it to SLC for this game let me know. I'll introduce you around the tailgate lot and help ya find a decent beer.

Last edited:
Back