What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does any coach deserve to be here in 2011?

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
I think we need a fresh new start. The only guy I would not mind staying is Ambrose since he is a young, up-and-coming assistant. But I would not care one bit if we start completely over.

Of course, but I'm just asking if any coaches should be getting a look from the next head coach. The only guy I think that deserves a long look is Ambrose.

I don't know enough about coaching to have any idea. I don't know what Ambrose has done to merit consideration from the next coach.

Everyone on offense needs to be gone, and after giving up almost 600 yards to Baylor, who by my count only ran 6 different plays, I think the entire D staff needs to go.

Great question, IMO.

Kiesau is a non-issue. With a 3-year extension, he is here to stay.

I like what Ron Prince brings to the mix, but not sure where to blame the passing game play calls between Hawk, Kiesau, and him.

Denver Johnson is in his 2nd season and there hasn't been anything to hang his hat on, it feels like we have the talent but they don't seem to have progressed as well as they are capable and the discipline is lacking, so NO to DJ.

Ron Collins and Kent Riddle are no-brainer fires.

Ambrose is a tough call. His recruiting background isn't in "Pac 12 Country" and it is too early to determine how much impact he had on the development of the players and how much was all Greg Brown. I think he could be a fine DB coach in any scheme, but not sure he can transition to recruiting in our new footprint. Not really a big factor to me in either case.

The toughest calls for me are Hagan and Bandison. Hagan is everything to Buff fans so it is hard to not want him here, but the running game and RB recruiting, retention, and development are not up-to-par. He is a great recruiter and representative of the Buffs, but we seem to have trouble getting his kids into school and keeping them here.

Bandison is "easy" to knock, but I actually think his players have been developing well and that he has an eye for talent. Of course, we'd like a better focus on recruiting numbers, but maybe that isn't his preference either? Cunningham, Pericak, and Bonsu have done well. Herrod is a workhorse, and Kasa, West, Uzo-Diribe, Poston, and Poole all seem to have a high ceiling. The defensive play calling doesn't seem to fit their strength as a unit (put that on Collins), but the defense and the DL has been one of our bright spots.

Herrod,west have 1 sack combined. Kasa moved to DT. Pericak hardly mentioned. Bandison? His guys seem to peak their freshman year. Herrod was due for a big sr year and it's not happening. Kasa at 270 is to light to be playing DT.

I don't mind Coach Prince he could stay, what is the buyout on Kiesau?

I posted this in a thread about Denver Johnson:

Let's look at the W-L records of the assistants in their careers in games in which they were a full time coach (from the CU Media Guide) thru 2009:

Cabral: 145-96-4 (CU)
7-14-1 (Purdue)

Kiesau: 16-33 (CU)
33-17 (Cal)
9-13 (Utah St)

Collins: 16-33 (CU)
53-11 (Boise)

Prince: 33-6 (Boise)

Ambrose: N/A (1st season as Div I coach)

Bandison: 16-33 (CU)
53-11 (Boise)

Hagan: 23-39 (CU)

Johnson: 3-9 (CU)
15-17-2 (Miss St)
12-30-2 (Okla St)
3-8 (Oklahoma)

Riddle: 16-33 (CU)
53-11 (Boise)
26-40-1 (Army)

I still absolutely love Cabral-- he is CU Buffs through and through!!!

The verdict is out on Ambrose, but from the things I've read about him, he may have a bright future. But we'll see how the DBs do this year under him.

Kiesau had some moderate success at Cal, but has been a failure elsewhere.

The other coaches' "success" seems to all have been at Boise, and I think the entire country has seen that success is completely due to Chris Petersen and the coaches that remained there.

And finally, in relation to the title of this thread, look at Denver Johnson's record. Ridiculously bad!!!!!!

Cabral's a no-brainer. Ambrose is an unknown (but might have a future). I think Bandison has done some good things with the DL in spite of his CU record. Hagan, I'm sorry to say, has not worked out as an RB coach. It was painful to watch DH Jr. put the final nail in the coffin yesterday!

Unquestionably, outside of Cabral (and possibly Bandison and Ambrose), the staff (by virtue of their records) are an abysmal failure!

Great question, IMO.

Kiesau is a non-issue. With a 3-year extension, he is here to stay.

I like what Ron Prince brings to the mix, but not sure where to blame the passing game play calls between Hawk, Kiesau, and him.

Denver Johnson is in his 2nd season and there hasn't been anything to hang his hat on, it feels like we have the talent but they don't seem to have progressed as well as they are capable and the discipline is lacking, so NO to DJ.

Ron Collins and Kent Riddle are no-brainer fires.

Ambrose is a tough call. His recruiting background isn't in "Pac 12 Country" and it is too early to determine how much impact he had on the development of the players and how much was all Greg Brown. I think he could be a fine DB coach in any scheme, but not sure he can transition to recruiting in our new footprint. Not really a big factor to me in either case.

The toughest calls for me are Hagan and Bandison. Hagan is everything to Buff fans so it is hard to not want him here, but the running game and RB recruiting, retention, and development are not up-to-par. He is a great recruiter and representative of the Buffs, but we seem to have trouble getting his kids into school and keeping them here.

Bandison is "easy" to knock, but I actually think his players have been developing well and that he has an eye for talent. Of course, we'd like a better focus on recruiting numbers, but maybe that isn't his preference either? Cunningham, Pericak, and Bonsu have done well. Herrod is a workhorse, and Kasa, West, Uzo-Diribe, Poston, and Poole all seem to have a high ceiling. The defensive play calling doesn't seem to fit their strength as a unit (put that on Collins), but the defense and the DL has been one of our bright spots.

The hell he is. No new coach is going to come aboard with his OC picked for him. If I remember correctly, Kiesau's contract was retroactive so after this season he only has one year left. Kiesau is far from a non issue.

I think Cabral DESERVES to be here no matter what. His commitment and coaching abilities make him irreplaceable in my book. Other than that I don't know if Hagan deserves to be here but I think he is a young coach with dedication to the program, and he seems to recruit well so I would like to see him stay

Scotty, a couple things on your post. First, Kiesau is not a slam-dunk to stay, nor should he be. He only has one year left on his contract after this season for $218,000. If the new coach does not want him here, I find it hard to believe that the money won't be found to buy him out.

As far as Hagan and Bandison, they are no-brainer firings to me. Hagan seems to have volatile relationships with many of his players. Losing three players from one position over the last year sends up a red flag to me.

Bandison simply does not recruit and I hesitate to call his DL a "bright spot". They're okay and can make some plays, but the pass rush seems to disappear for large stretches of the season and the depth is still suspect.

this is BS about who deserves to stay or not.

clean house. Cabral is great, and has been beating the odds for a long time....compared to most coaching hires. sorry BC, but the bell tolls for thee.

i honestly don't care about Hagan. he was a great option QB for CU's best team....he's not a great coach imo. out.

no more nostalgia. honestly, i think the Mac thing is embarrassing.

hire the best guys. Snyder winning maybe puts Mac in the picture. Nostalgia always loses imo.

McIlwain or Calhoun and a fresh start for me.

Last edited:
Herrod,west have 1 sack combined. Kasa moved to DT. Pericak hardly mentioned. Bandison? His guys seem to peak their freshman year. Herrod was due for a big sr year and it's not happening. Kasa at 270 is to light to be playing DT.

I don't like moving Kasa around either, but the hybrid DE/LB guys like West and Uzo-Diribe have been effective pass-rushers. The strong-side DE (Herrod) and Pericak and Cunningham are basically space eaters not pass rushers. I wish they would let Kasa be more of an true weak-side rush DE, but we seldom stick with a 4-man front.

Again, not sure if that is Collins' making that scheme decision or if it is Bandison. I just think Bandison has done enough to warrant a fresh look by a new HC or DC. Wouldn't break my heart if he left also.

Of course, it goes without saying that Cabral would be a favorite to stay too.

this is BS about who deserves to stay or not.

clean house. Cabral is great, and has been beating the odds for a long time....compared to most coaching hires. sorry BC, but the bell tolls for thee.

i honestly don't care about Hagan. he was a great option QB for CU's best team....he's not a great coach imo. out.

no more nostalgia. honestly, i think the Mac thing is embarrassing.

hire the best guys. Snyder winning maybe puts Mac in the picture. Nostalgia always loses imo.

McIlwain or Calhoun and a fresh start for me.

No offense at all to you, but why in the F*CK would you want to hire a coach who can't beat San Diego State?!!? Don't we have Calhoun coaching at CU already? His name is Hawkins.

No offense at all to you, but why in the F*CK would you want to hire a coach who can't beat San Diego State?!!? Don't we have Calhoun coaching at CU already? His name is Hawkins.

fair point, I guess. SDSU almost won @ Mizzou. more than Coach Hawk can say.

I like Calhoun since he DOES have a "playbook". Hawkins was faking it from Day One.

all new please. all new. maybe cabral, but only if he promises to forget everything coach halk ever tried to teach him.

It should be up to the new coach, but I really hope that Cabral is given the option to stay. To me, his loyalty and proven service to the program mean that we owe him more respect than just shoving him out. Ask the new HC to retain Cabral, and it's his decision. I don't know why you want to get rid of Cabral as an incoming anyway.

As for the rest - get rid of them all. Sorry, Hagan is a great recruiter, but he is not a talent developer. Ambrose has promise...but so will many other asst coaches. Kiesau is a rising star...but so are many other asst coaches. Bandison does well with tackes it seems, but he can't recruit or teach the pass rush. Riddle, Johnson, and Collins all deserved to be fired with Hawk. Oh yea, Pittman needs to go worse of all. I blame these injuries on him. That lifting video still is scarred into my memory.

I would be nervous about any new coach coming in who wants to retain members of this staff. I hope whoever we hire has a good network of potential assistants he can draw on and I hope he INSISTS on bringing in a new staff. I could maybe be on board with keeping Cabral or Ambrose...maybe.

It should be up to the new coach, but I really hope that Cabral is given the option to stay. To me, his loyalty and proven service to the program mean that we owe him more respect than just shoving him out. Ask the new HC to retain Cabral, and it's his decision. I don't know why you want to get rid of Cabral as an incoming anyway.

As for the rest - get rid of them all. Sorry, Hagan is a great recruiter, but he is not a talent developer. Ambrose has promise...but so will many other asst coaches. Kiesau is a rising star...but so are many other asst coaches. Bandison does well with tackes it seems, but he can't recruit or teach the pass rush. Riddle, Johnson, and Collins all deserved to be fired with Hawk. Oh yea, Pittman needs to go worse of all. I blame these injuries on him. That lifting video still is scarred into my memory.

2009 Total Offense = 104
2009 Scoring Offense = 92
2010 Total Offense (through 10/16)= 78
2010 Scoring Offense (through 10/16) = 102

Huh? We've (mostly) played our patsies, so I expect our rankings to go down. But maybe these numbers finish roughly the same (at best), so I guess I just don't understand what "rising" means.

hey, hey...I'm just quoting what has been said about Ambrose and Kiesau...I'm not agreeing with them. Just to make that clear - I don't care for either of them...although I do think Ambrose seems to conenct with players well.

Cabral stays. The thing is w/ poison head coaches it's very hard to determine if a coach under them is worth a sh*t. E.g., Helfrich is suddenly a genius @ Ore. Head guys meddling, and micromanaging can sabotage any coach.

What is this love affair with Kiesau? The guy is horrible as an OC - He was not that great as a WR coach and he is worse as an OC. Fans were booing the play calling last night - it was atrocious. When Baylor figured out the off right guard/tackle running play by speedy on first down they kept running it - most OCs would of gone to play action. The guy is lousy. Bandison should be one of the first to go, he refuses to coach and player development under him is none existent.

No one is safe , IMO. And if you don't recruit you cannot stay under any circumstance.

Scotty, a couple things on your post. First, Kiesau is not a slam-dunk to stay, nor should he be. He only has one year left on his contract after this season for $218,000. If the new coach does not want him here, I find it hard to believe that the money won't be found to buy him out.

As far as Hagan and Bandison, they are no-brainer firings to me. Hagan seems to have volatile relationships with many of his players. Losing three players from one position over the last year sends up a red flag to me.

Bandison simply does not recruit and I hesitate to call his DL a "bright spot". They're okay and can make some plays, but the pass rush seems to disappear for large stretches of the season and the depth is still suspect.

The $200k for Kiesau definitely changes things, I didn't look into the details of his contract, so that changes things there.

On his own, I have no real love for Kiesau, but it seems he has some "stock" in the coaching community from the comments that have been posted at different times. Doesn't mean someone else isn't better suited for the job, just that the new HC might find him a great fit and it might be key to keeping current QB commitments. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, of course.

Bandison has recruited some good players, we just don't know how many spots he has been given to work with. If he was asked to bring in 3 per year and failed that is one thing, but if he was only given 1 or 2 in different recruiting classes then he has done well. Cunningham has been solid, and Pericak is still progressing and the other guys have lots of potential.

Wasn't Hagan the recruiting coordinator under Barnett before shifting to RB coach? If the recruiting coordinator is allowed to hit the trail, may be a better spot for DHagan than RB coach.

I like what Ron Prince brings to the mix...

I was like: when did we hire Ron Prince? I think you meant Robert Prince.

The reason this caught my attention is that I find it interesting that Ron Prince (KSU) and Hawkins were hired at the same time. After 3 seasons Ron Prince was 17-20 and was FIRED...Dan Hawkins was 13-24 and was given an extension...:wow:

I only hope that I like our head coaching hire enough to have complete faith in his selection of a staff... whether that means retaining some guys or cleaning house.

Back