What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does Anybody Actually Believe Bohn Would Fire Hawkins ?

If the new contract is anything like the old contract, then I need to revise my previous statements. I don't think there is any way Hawkins is gone, regardless of his W/L record this year.

According to the original contract, Paragraph 9(b) if HAWKINS decides to terminate the contract (i.e. Hawkins can BUY HIMSELF OUT) he has to pay CU $500,000 if he terminates the contract during either 2009 or 2010.

According to the Paragraph 12, part (a) of the original contract, if CU terminated Hawkins prior to the expiration of the contract, for any reason other than cause - CU is on the hook for $850k per contract year for each contract year remaining on the contract.

If those terms remain in the new contract then CU would presumably be on the hook for $2.5mil.
We need the new contract. Let's get Boulder to submit an Open Records request. BTW, where is Boulder?

If the Buffs lose to Toledo, then I think there is a good chance that Hawk gets canned. Hawk is the one who talked up this season. He talked and talked and talked and talked. But, STILL no results.

You cannot lose to Toledo and CSU and be taken seriously in the Big12. Bohn should know this.

Now or if we go 0-5?
going on an extended losing streak would mean a lost team and a lost year, and yes, then there is really no point in keeping Hawk. Fire him, hope the interim coach catches fire, and go looking. He hasn't lost the team yet.

If the Buffs lose to Toledo, then I think there is a good chance that Hawk gets canned. Hawk is the one who talked up this season. He talked and talked and talked and talked. But, STILL no results.

You cannot lose to Toledo and CSU and be taken seriously in the Big12. Bohn should know this.

Hence he shall now be known as Dan Talkins.

I still think it's only $500K as 2009. If he loses Friday night, he should be run out Saturday.

I still think it's only $500K as 2009. If he loses Friday night, he should be run out Saturday.
Hope you are right...still waiting on the latest contact. Valdez, what the hell are you doing?

Now or if we go 0-5?

If he gets through Toledo and Wyoming with wins, he'll likely survive until the end of the year. What I'm hearing is that he's irretrievably lost the majority of boosters and ex-players.

The best thing for the program would be if we could win 6 or 7 with Hawkins as a lame duck coach, get a bowl bid with the money & extra practice time which comes with it, and have a new HC in place for the bowl game. New coach wins the bowl, we then have a lot of momentum. I'd expect that not only would we salvage the recruiting class, we'd get a recruiting bump and minimize transfers.

Can't find it. :lol:

I also still think it's more than CU can afford at this point.
Not sure about that....I think the analysis is similar to reinvesting in the infrastructure of your business. In other words, you can let the business (in this case, the entire athletic department, because it is dependent upon the success of the football program) fall apart, or you can make the investment for the long-term success of the business.

I would argue that we cannot afford to not make a move.

If he gets through Toledo and Wyoming with wins, he'll likely survive until the end of the year. What I'm hearing is that he's irretrievably lost the majority of boosters and ex-players.

The best thing for the program would be if we could win 6 or 7 with Hawkins as a lame duck coach, get a bowl bid with the money & extra practice time which comes with it, and have a new HC in place for the bowl game. New coach wins the bowl, we then have a lot of momentum. I'd expect that not only would we salvage the recruiting class, we'd get a recruiting bump and minimize transfers.
Which ex-players and boosters?

Appreciate all the buyout looking up fellas, as I was stewing about this all day that CU probably couldn't afford to fire Hawk....if the official buyout in the new contract is something ridiculous than my #1 priority is to call for Bohn's head prior to Coach Hawks....

If CU goes bowling with 6 wins this year, 'Hawk may be extended. Then, hello mediocrity until 2017 or so...

That scenario would be ideal but unfortunately I think he's right, a bowl bid will keep Hack here for at least another year.

Which ex-players and boosters?

Alfred Williams comes to mind.. Anybody listen to his radio show?

He wasn't for Hawk when Embree and Hawk were the finalists.

Now, he might have changed his mind, but I doubt it. He's probably the most vocal of the ex-Buffs under Mac.

I don't think it would be wise to can the coach midseason. Personally I think he needs to go at the end of the year.

The unfortunate reality of terminating Hawkins is that it sets this program back another 3-5 years, IMO, unless we get an absolutely dynamite replacement in the Nick Saban mold, which I think we can all agree is not going to happen.

So if it needs to be done - and I think it does, personally - it needs to be done as soon as possible, but midseason is just not a good idea.

I don't think it would be wise to can the coach midseason. Personally I think he needs to go at the end of the year.

The unfortunate reality of terminating Hawkins is that it sets this program back another 3-5 years, IMO, unless we get an absolutely dynamite replacement in the Nick Saban mold, which I think we can all agree is not going to happen.

So if it needs to be done - and I think it does, personally - it needs to be done as soon as possible, but midseason is just not a good idea.
I think that the 4 year rule-of-thumb to recovery may be incorrect if you get the right guy.

or paul johnson or brian kelly or steve sarkisian (so far he looks promising but he's only had one game so he's not really on the list yet but i think he will be at the end of the year)

There is numerous examples of guys coming in and having immediate success. We have talent here at CU now. The next HC can come in and win at least 6 games next year, and then go up from there with a much brighter future than the one we currently have with Hack. As some point you just have to stop the bloodletting and hemorrhaging.

There is numerous examples of guys coming in and having immediate success. We have talent here at CU now. The next HC can come in and win at least 6 games next year, and then go up from there with a much brighter future than the one we currently have with Hack. As some point you just have to stop the bloodletting and hemorrhaging.

Exactly. Much like Ty Willingham, Hawkins has done a solid job of recruiting and a piss poor job of actually coaching. This is not a program devoid of talent that will take 4 years to completely rebuild.

No way this team goes 0-5 or 0-6. I'm down on Hawk too, but that's just not going to happen.

Having said that, if we have a losing season, there is absolutely no way you can bring him back next year. The cost of buying him out will be minor compared to the revenue lost when people start dumping season tickets and networks no longer think we're worth putting on national tv. It's going to hurt big time, but you have to do it. And Bohn might need to do it to save his own skin.

Of course all these problems would be solved if we somehow turn this into a 9 win season and Big 12 North title.

Back