What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does anyone know any other program that is so good at home and so bad on the road?

jwhite17

Honestly, I believe we must have the greatest discrepancy in performance between home and away in the country. I wish Boyle could figure it out. Is it our offensive style of getting to the line a ton that only works at home/netural courts? Is it our players freaking out against a hostile crowd (ASU's home court might as well be a neutral court)? Is it our lack of playmakers on offense? Is it our lack of bench? Is it our lack of leadership at the top? All the above?

I'm not really sure.

Boyle's teams have been absolutely horrible on the road. I believe we are 7-20 right now. Even the offensive monster of Burks/Higgins/Relphorde/Knutson only won two Big 12 road games!!

I can think of only one good road win in his tenure (at top 25 KSU) and I will even throw in at Zona for fun (but the results still stand as a loss unfortunately), besides that, all of the road wins have come against the TERRIBLE teams in the Big 12 and Pac 12 conferences.

We don't have that luxury this year. I could really see us going 0-9 on the road. Hartford played better against ASU than we did. So terrible. I wish we can turn it around. I know winning on the road is tough, but it shouldn't be this tough considering we have at least three future NBA players (dinwiddie, roberson, scott).

Compared to Bzedelik on the road, Boyle is much better, but I want more. I want at least 4 wins+ each year in the Pac 12. Is that too much to ask for? Tourne teams win games on the road against mediocre teams. If we want to take the next step as a program, we must beat the mediocre/below-average teams on the road.

Right now, I feel zero confidence that we can even beat the below average teams this year. We don't have 3 gimmie roadies like last year, so we need to step it up somehow.

Thoughts?

Far more than you might think. In the ACC, teams like Clemson, Virginia, Georgia Tech have long been very successful at home and awful on the road. There's at least a few of those in every conference. Teams like Oregon that have found so much success on the road -- more so than at home -- are very much the exception to the rule.

And we're not going 0-9 on the road. I'm more frustrated by our road woes than most, but the fact remains that the Pac-12 has some atrocious teams, and we will pick up a few road wins. I still think my prediction of 3-6 on the road has an excellent chance of being spot on. We'll find some wins at Utah, USC, and one of the Washington schools or Oregon State. Not out of the question for Cal to lay an egg at home, either.

I still think my prediction of 3-6 on the road has an excellent chance of being spot on. We'll find some wins at Utah, USC, and one of the Washington schools or Oregon State. Not out of the question for Cal to lay an egg at home, either.

I could live with a 3-6 road record. We don't play USC on the road tho. Utah, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State seem to be the most likely road wins.

1.) Youth (we exceeded early season expectations). Relates to composure w/ hostile crowds and reacting to home calls
2.) Style (our fast paced, transition style works well at altitude)
3.) Situational coaching (for whatever reason, when CU leads, the Buffs allow anyone to drive to the bucket extremely easily, excelling at the ol' Roger Dorn Ole' move)

I could live with a 3-6 road record. We don't play USC on the road tho. Utah, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State seem to be the most likely road wins.

Yep, just realized that (which is too bad). 3-6 was our record last year on the road, and then 8-1 at home for an 11-7 overall record. I think it plays out about the same this year. Boys better be ready to hold home court at all costs this week -- we're on the brink of a scary situation if we lose to UCLA in Boulder and then head out to the NW. I'm not trying to start of 1-5, that's a hole we don't want to be in. We've simply got to beat some of these Pac-12 bottomfeeders on the road, or we're going to have a ****ed up resume and erase our solid OOC work. Let's shoot for 12-6, dammit! No worse than 11-7, or we start putting ourselves on awfully thin ice for the Big Dance. Utah, Wazzu, UDub, Oregon State are all ripe for the picking on the road. And Cal and Stanford aren't out of the question. We can get 3 road wins from that.

After this 0-2 start, these Buffs need to come out with their backs against the wall and put up a ferocious fight to dig ourselves out. We're already at a "make or break" part of the season only 2 games into the Pac-12 schedule. Time to get things on track. We must protect the Keg.

Last edited:
Good stuff everyone! I hope we can win a few games on the road this year. Also, we go to Washington next CVille.

We must win both the games this week to stay in contention for a top 4 finish. These NEXT FOUR games are the biggest games for our season!

New question: how is Oregon playing so well on the road? I know Altman takes advantage of bringing in upperclassmen transfers each year (which I think is a cheap way to victories), but Oregon actually seems to play really well on the road (beat Oregon State and UNLV), and they have two freshman starting in Dotson and Artis! Maybe they have strong upperclassmen (Woods-transfer,Arzemi-transfer,Singler).

Thinking about it, we are really relying on Dinwiddie and Booker to be our leaders, two TRUE sophomores. I love both players, but are they ready to lead such a young team? That could be the root of the issues. They are trying to be leaders when they are not fully ready combined with one solid upperclassmen starter isn't really vocal (Roberson), and the other upperclassmen is just a energy guy (Chen). This team needs a guy like Carlon Brown that could help them focus when shots aren't falling.

Does the selection committee take into consideration the number of road games played? CU and Utah have played the most in the pac (5) while UCLA hasn't played one yet.

(((Needs to stop confusing men's schedule with women's schedule, and posting drunk)))

Gotta win at least 3 of the next 4. Must protect home court, and we'll never find a more winnable game at UW than the one this season, and Wazzu is a mess (although Pullman can prove a tricky landmine). Gotta get 1 of these next 2 roadies.

Last edited:
Does the selection committee take into consideration the number of road games played? CU and Utah have played the most in the pac (5) while UCLA hasn't played one yet.

The selection committee doesn't have any "hardened criteria." They use a number of things to come to a decision, RPI obviously being one of them. But quality road-wins would be part of that RPI number.

Back