What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does it take a certain personality to be a successful football coach at CU?

I just want to know when these "challenges" became greater than at other universities. If there is any "truth" to any of it, then at some point something had to change. From 1894 to 2005 we had a grand total of 3 coaches with losing records. The other twenty coaches somehow managed to win more than they lost. We had a Heisman runner-up in the '30's. We finished seasons ranked in the top 10 in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, & 2000's. We've won more football games in our history than all but 20 or so universities in the country.

There are basically 3 options here:
1. We were extraordinarily lucky for 110 years and hired 20 separate coaches that had the "special sauce" necessary to win in Boulder.
2. Something changed at CU that didn't change in other universities.
3. It's a bull**** excuse.

My gut instinct is actually that the truth is somewhere between No's 2 & 3, but I would assign it as 10% due to #2 and 90% is a bull**** excuse.

Is this a serious question?

1) lack of multi-year contracts for assistant coaches which greatly limits the pool of applicants. I believe CU is the only team among BCS programs with this serious limitation. Good asst coaches are easily plucked away by other program which don't have this limitation
2) very little local talent - 90% of the players have to be recruited from a distance of over 1000 miles away
3) a very narrow academic curriculum and getting narrower all the time, with limited majors which turns-off certain recruits. In a recent interview, Barnett made mention of how big a problem that is at CU.
4) No juco admissions which makes rebuilding a much more difficult and very lengthy process
5) Admissions requirements for freshman which imply that CU is a much better school academically than it is. Vandy, Northwestern, UCLA and Stanford can easily out recruit CU for a great athlete who also is a great student because they are actually great schools academically, unlike CU! Notice that, although we have the worst team in the conference on-the-field, we are #1 in the # of players (16) who received PAC 12 Academic honors. We have many good students who are simply poor football players. That is not a coincidence.
6) A donor base simply unwilling to finance desperately needed facility upgrades, though every other school in the PAC 12 has easily solved this riddle. One of the major problems at CU is that major donors are encouraged by leadership at CU to give to academics not athletics
7) a judicial affairs office which comes down harshly on off-the-field incidents by football players - see Austin Vincent and Jeffrey Thomas. Thomas was sent home before classes started because the coaching staff was fearful he would get the boot due to his off-the-field incident in August while he was in Boulder
8) As has been well-chronicled, a university administration and Board of Regents which has not truly supported the program since Gordon Gee in the late 1980's. For example, compare the comments of CSU's President, Tony Frank, about the importance of athletics to CSU compared to Bruce Benson's silence on the matter. Do you think Benson would publicly advocate building a new stadium like Frank has at CSU?
9) a new structural problem - treating even the mildest of head dings like this is a little league team of 8 year olds. I counted 20 players who have missed at least one game this year due to concussion symptoms! Do you think this is the norm? This has become another huge competitive disadvantage for CU, as if they needed any more

I wonder who will be first to say that none of these structural impediments should make any difference to having a winning program at CU? That's the way of CU fans and allows them to fully blame every coaching staff for our problems - whether it be Hawkins, Embree or even Barnett. It's nice and tidy to fully blame the coaching staff at CU, but simply untrue.

My opinion is that a good college football coach is not sufficient at CU to win - we need a miracle worker to overcome these deficiencies

You make many good points. However, are they all completely true?

1. This is no doubt a challenge. But is it a massive problem? We gave EB a multi-year conract and we seemingly have a moderately impressive group of position coaches. I do agree that this is something unique to CU that makes things harder.

2. Yes, it's not a bunch of awesome local talent. What helps? Not getting any of the good players from the state. That's failure on the coaches. There's also countless examples of schools where home grown talent isn't exactly great.

3. What do recruits want? Seems like most recruits at other schools major in: some stupid PE crap, sociology, or business. CU has 2 of the 3..

4. It does make it somewhat harder, but it doesn't help when the coaches seemingly give up without trying. We seem to be able to find them when we really want to..

5. Is this even true? We rolled in Crawley when freaking Tennessee dropped him due to grades. Dejon Wilson notoriously didn't have good grades. Kisima Jagne apparently must have had some pretty bad grades. I remember Nebraska making the same argument for them having a bunch of players on the all Big12 academic team.

6. I think most people agree with you here.

7. Errr, Vincent was about to become a registered sex offender and the rape scandal is quite recent. Is this even why Jeff Thomas left school? Sounded more like his choice.. maybe moett can enlighten us.

8. Yes, Benson is a problem.

9. Oh my. Firstly, I'd like to see that list of 20. That's a lot of players. Secondly, Embree has been the champion of this anti concussion thing. So..

Like I said, you make many good points that most of us agree with. We aren't blaming this mess entirely on the coaches. We do wonder how Boyle is somehow able to navigate this mess and is successful, yet we're unreasonable to think that Embree might be able to do something similar with the football team. It's not the best comparison since bball and football are different sports, but it's still something to wonder.

My opinion is that a good football coach can win here, we don't need a "miracle worker." We didn't get to be a top 25 all time program by requiring miracle workers only. Mac, Rick, and Barney all saw differing levels of success. It's not like Hawk and Embree are anywhere near what those guys did.

Excuses are the nails to uses to build a house of failure.

If CU really, really wanted to build a successful program, it would be in their power to do so.

Lateral moves rarely happen in college football. I can't remember more than a couple Colorado coaches who have ever left CU to go to another school in a lateral move.

I think Helfrich left, and I think Chris Wilson left before he even started. Maybe someone can enlighten me on some of these other coaches who have dumped CU because of the lack of multi-year contracts.

Grimes maybe.I just finished Yogi Roths book(from PA to LA)he talked about being an assistant at USC under Pete Carrol,he said most position coaches around the country are year to year contracts.

@White Rabbit~VERY IMPORTANT_~We are very open to criticism and comment regarding Kisma Jagne....We want to clearly understand your rationale regarding mentioning Mr. Jagne in this thread and why. At this time please elaborate on your statement
"Kisima Jagne apparently must have had some bad grades"

@White Rabbit~VERY IMPORTANT_~We are very open to criticism and comment regarding Kisma Jagne....We want to clearly understand your rationale regarding mentioning Mr. Jagne in this thread and why. At this time please elaborate on your statement
"Kisima Jagne apparently must have had some bad grades"

I believe he's speculating about the reasons for the grey shirt. As for me, I just hope kisima gives the new coach a serious look and still comes to the best damn school in the country.

CU basketball used to have the same reputation - you can't win there. Big 12 coaches would openly side with Patton about how hard he had it at CU.

And now we've see how that was a lot of b.s. once we hired the right coach.

@DARTH SNOW. While we appreciate the help in clarification, it was WHITE RABBIT who made the comment and he is the one who needs to clarify. We thank u for the assistance...@ WHITE RABBIT , please clarify your statement

@DARTH SNOW. While we appreciate the help in clarification, it was WHITE RABBIT who made the comment and he is the one who needs to clarify. We thank u for the assistance...@ WHITE RABBIT , please clarify your statement

Snow is right, I assumed he greyshirted due to needing to take some classes. I assumed this to mean he didn't have the grades necessary for admission during the fall semester. If this is untrue, I apologize.

Last edited:
Fair nuff. Good luck Kisima!

Snow is right, I assumed he greyshirted due to needing to take some classes. I assumed this to mean he didn't have the grades necessary for admission during the fall semester. If this is untrue, I apologize.
god I love hearing this. :lol:

CU basketball used to have the same reputation - you can't win there. Big 12 coaches would openly side with Patton about how hard he had it at CU.

And now we've see how that was a lot of b.s. once we hired the right coach.

:yeahthat: But, ...."we hired the right coach." You in Bohn's pocket when he made that controversial and frowned-upon by many, choice?

Actually, bball at CU has a much better shot of success.. 1) the local talent pool for bball is much deeper. It also helps that you don't need as many players on the entire team. 2) men's bball is the most symmetric major college sport since bball knowledge has diffused to coaches all over. That allows small schools like Butler, Duke, and Gonzaga to be powers. 3) the financial commitment needed to support a successful bball team is far less than football. Ticket sales, concessions, and TV deals are more than enough.

Back