What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Does The Big 12 Expand In The Next Two Years ?

I'd like to see the b12 lose Iowa State and pick up Houston. ISU is such an outlier geographically and they really don't bring much to the table to justify their inclusion relative to the geography. The B10 should pick them up. Of course, none of this will happen, but I think it makes the most sense. Add Houston and a lot of people get to see their school play a road game. Nobody goes to a road game at ISU.

It's a shame that Texas' greed sent A&M to the SEC. There is no reason Texas and A&M shouldn't be in the same conference.

Add A&M, add BYU, add Houston and lose ISU and maybe and you've got a nice thing going. BYU is big enough and broad enough to justify outlier status IMO...Mormons are everywhere.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209489296

ISU is expanding their stadium to 61,000 - this surpises me

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209489296

ISU is expanding their stadium to 61,000 - this surpises me

Seems like many of these schools are expanding based on hope and not facts. My bet is that there will be a lot of empty seats for ISU in the future.

I think a few schools got it right. I think SMU did a good job with their modest home stadium, only 35k capacity. On-campus, realistic and probably a much better atmosphere vs. playingo for 45k in stadium with 65k capacity.

The Big 12 should just hurry up and recreate the Southwest Conference. My concern with that would be when it crumbles and some of those schools come calling to the Pac-12. Don't want them.

The Big 12 should just hurry up and recreate the Southwest Conference. My concern with that would be when it crumbles and some of those schools come calling to the Pac-12. Don't want them.

The reality is that the b12 is just as competitive in football as any conference. I'd rank the SEC #1, not by much, but after that I think it's a toss up between p12 and b12. You could make solid arguments for either conference. It's not like the b12 is wobbling on the verge of collapse in terms of quality on the field. It's certainly more competitive than the B10 and ACC, IMO.

The reality is that the b12 is just as competitive in football as any conference. I'd rank the SEC #1, not by much, but after that I think it's a toss up between p12 and b12. You could make solid arguments for either conference. It's not like the b12 is wobbling on the verge of collapse in terms of quality on the field. It's certainly more competitive than the B10 and ACC, IMO.

Minnesota
Tennessee
Maryland
Iowa

What do those teams have in common? Those are the only OOC P5 opponents the Big 12 teams have beaten this year.

At least SEC teams have beaten the following OOC P5 teams:
Clemson
West Virginia
Kansas St
Wisconsin
Texas Tech

Pac 12 has beaten the following:
Michigan St
Northwestern
Illinois
Texas
Virginia
Notre Dame
Michigan

I am a big believer in inter-conference play including bowls in determining the strength of each conference. I do recognize bows can be weird due to the motivation of various teams, but it is the only viable metric for gauging the strength from conference to conference.

TV contracts drive expansion and right now there are not a lot of catalyst from the networks. Some ad execs think the networks are overcharging for the Sports ads. Kind of like gambling - there is only a finite amount of money to go around. The PAC 12, SEC, ACC, Big 10 and the Big 12 all have contracts in place and the networks are not anxious to do another round of negotiations. Small markets like New Mexico and Nevada hardly move the needle for more money from TV. The Big 12 would benefit from a move into Florida because of its populations and rapid growth...But the PAC moving into New Mexico and Nevada would be a mistake - dilution without benefit.

Reactions: aik
TV contracts drive expansion and right now there are not a lot of catalyst from the networks. Some ad execs think the networks are overcharging for the Sports ads. Kind of like gambling - there is only a finite amount of money to go around. The PAC 12, SEC, ACC, Big 10 and the Big 12 all have contracts in place and the networks are not anxious to do another round of negotiations. Small markets like New Mexico and Nevada hardly move the needle for more money from TV. The Big 12 would benefit from a move into Florida because of its populations and rapid growth...But the PAC moving into New Mexico and Nevada would be a mistake - dilution without benefit.

Depends on what the future is, though.

If media is changing, then expansion will be driven by the quantity and quality of content you control and can sell on a stream or a la carte basis rather than by media contracts. More programming for the 100% owned Pac-12 Network and what that can mean for new digital media may very well be a lot more important than the ESPN/FOX and cable/satellite negotiations in 5-10 years.

I think that expansion will most likely be driven by the expansion of the CFP from 4 teams to 8 teams. The CFP will definitely expand to eight, especially the year after the SEC doesn't have a team in the 4 team format. When it expands to 8 teams, the P5 may decide to have conference champions and 3 at-large spots. The other P5 conferences will most likely require the Big 12 to have a championship game (the P12 and SEC have already complained about them not having one). This will cause the Big 12 to add to their conference.

Additionally, the PAC12 and SEC have sparred about 8 conference games vs. 9 conference games. There may be a push to have the P5 conferences have an equal number of teams and consistent scheduling in the name of fairness. This could also create conference expansion.

Minnesota
Tennessee
Maryland
Iowa

What do those teams have in common? Those are the only OOC P5 opponents the Big 12 teams have beaten this year.

At least SEC teams have beaten the following OOC P5 teams:
Clemson
West Virginia
Kansas St
Wisconsin
Texas Tech

Pac 12 has beaten the following:
Michigan St
Northwestern
Illinois
Texas
Virginia
Notre Dame
Michigan

I am a big believer in inter-conference play including bowls in determining the strength of each conference. I do recognize bows can be weird due to the motivation of various teams, but it is the only viable metric for gauging the strength from conference to conference.

Let me present you with a list of wins that are not impressive:
Northwestern
Illinois
Texas
Virginia
Notre Dame
Michigan

Depends on what the future is, though.

If media is changing, then expansion will be driven by the quantity and quality of content you control and can sell on a stream or a la carte basis rather than by media contracts. More programming for the 100% owned Pac-12 Network and what that can mean for new digital media may very well be a lot more important than the ESPN/FOX and cable/satellite negotiations in 5-10 years.

Nevada and New Mexico are not quality content. The new digital media means that you are still competing with a proliferation of content - more content spread over a finite number of viewers just means dilution. The PAC 12 network is not going to over take anyone in the next decade - they can't even get on DirectTV. Remember the carrier contracts preclude the PAC 12 network from streaming to non subscribers. So you have to be a carrier subscriber before you can stream.

Nevada and New Mexico are not quality content. The new digital media means that you are still competing with a proliferation of content - more content spread over a finite number of viewers just means dilution. The PAC 12 network is not going to over take anyone in the next decade - they can't even get on DirectTV. Remember the carrier contracts preclude the PAC 12 network from streaming to non subscribers. So you have to be a carrier subscriber before you can stream.

In football, I agree with you. Right now.

Basketball and some Olympic sports may be more important to expansion plans into Asia, though.

I think the P12 could drop CU in favor of BYU. It fits the pattern:

Two socal
Two norcal
Two WA
Two AZ
Two OR
Two UT

I think CU is a better fit in the B12 with traditional B8 rivals. I think Nebraska should come back to the B12 also.

This is sort of the point I made earlier; if its not expansion into Texas' TV market its not worth it.

Dilution is in fact the future. So, TV [think ES(ec)PN] could someday push for something crazy like a 64 team mega conference to try and attract eye balls.

As for streaming, its not likely ever going to be monetized in a way that it is currently. The dollars from advertising vastly outweigh the $5 each household would pay. If you don't have the density you don't get the ad dollars. Dilution.

In football, I agree with you. Right now.

Basketball and some Olympic sports may be more important to expansion plans into Asia, though.

So were going to watch Chinese TV commercials? Accept 4am tip offs for the Chinese TV market? There going to buy millions of streaming subscription in China?

I just don't see it adding up to more than peanuts.

So were going to watch Chinese TV commercials? Accept 4am tip offs for the Chinese TV market? There going to buy millions of streaming subscription in China?

I just don't see it adding up to more than peanuts.

I don't know. All I'm saying is that if we look a bit into the future it may be different drivers than we had for the last round of expansion.

fwiw, I believe that UNLV has a satellite campus somewhere in SE Asia for its Hospitality/Hotel Management program. There's a chance that would make them more attractive.

Two socal
Two norcal
Two WA
Two AZ
Two OR
Two UT

I think CU is a better fit in the B12 with traditional B8 rivals. I think Nebraska should come back to the B12 also.
You have to be trolling, right?

Two socal
Two norcal
Two WA
Two AZ
Two OR
Two UT

I haven't had the chance to use this in a while:

giphy.gif

Seriously. FU@K.THAT

Let me present you with a list of wins that are not impressive:
Northwestern
Illinois
Texas
Virginia
Notre Dame
Michigan
So the Pac 12 beats two Top 10 rated P5 teams at the time the games are played, while the SEC hasn't even faced more than an average P5 team, and that's how you respond - including one of those Top 10 teams.

Believe what you would like to believe.

It needs to be 8 conference games, and 4 noncon games against a team from another p5 conference

That would destroy the non p5 conferences.

It would definitely change things.

As a fan, I can't say that there's a lot of entertainment value for me with the sheer number of sacrificial cupcake games every year. NCAA football could up the competitiveness of its non-conference scheduling.

And we're only 1,315 miles from Seattle.

Not like I would want to drive anywhere in the Big 12.

You're in a 1980s model of conference alignment. It's all about maximizing media footprint now.

P.S. fwiw, Boulder is a 967 mile drive to College Station.

And we're only 1,315 miles from Seattle.
CU has more alumni in the Seattle area than then entire states of Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas combined, and more alumni in California than the entire B12 footprint (excluding Colorado of course).

There are two reasons why we went from being one of the "worst traveling teams" in the B12, to one of the best in the P12 (and we're going to blow our new conference's collective minds with how well we travel when the team gets good again): 1. San Francisco, Seattle, LA and even Tempe are better destinations than Stoolwater, Stincoln, etc and 2. proximity to alumni.

Two socal
Two norcal
Two WA
Two AZ
Two OR
Two UT

This post definitely fits a pattern, but not the one you think it does.

However, schools like Texas and OU would move the needle in a big way and the Pac-12 will eventually figure that out.

Back