What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dollars to Donuts

What have you seen that makes you believe Benson is at all connected with the interworkings of the AD and the FB program?

My guess is that Benson's admin forwards any e-mails on this subject straight to DiStephano. FW: Phil - Please handle! DiStephano calls the shots on the Boulder campus.

I seriously doubt a $3M contact buy-out hits Benson's radar. He is busy securing government research grants, building coalitions to take on the statehouse and building a medical center empire at Fitzsimons/Anshutz.

When it comes to football, Benson is no Gordon Gee.

The Denver media loves to jump all over CU. I see if they are cutting jobs at the University and yet fire a coach paying him 2.5-3 million to not coach anymore there might be an issue that Benson would rather not deal with.

It is a shame the only time CU is ever on the news its because we lost a game or are going through a scandal.

I'll put my dollars against everyones donuts that Hawkins is coaching the Buffs next season. The Buffs can lose all remaining games and he will still be in Boulder at CU as the Coach.

I am not happy about it but just "wait and see."

I tend to disagree. We are looking at this from a midseason perspective. Losing tends to have an exponential effect. If this teams loses all or most of their games the rest of this season, the pressure is going to be at a whole different level. My money says that if we win 1 or 2 more games at most, especially if capped by a home loss at the end to NU, Hawk will be shown the door.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Bohn is stuck with keeping Hawk at least through the 2010 season. Not that I think he wants to, but with the budget cuts at the state level primarily impacting higher ed, even if they have the money to buy out Hawk (which I believe they do), it would be a politically unwise move to do that at this juncture. How would it look to be paying $3MM to fire a coach when the school is scrapping for every penny of funding it can find? Bohn answers to DiStephano & Benson, and if they're the ones telling him that he has to keep Hawkins, then he won't be fired for keeping him.

It's a fact which is why I'm trying to be as positive as I can with the current situation. The budget just got whacked yesterday by another almost $200M. Whether it is sound business or not, politically, there is no chance of a change that requires a buyout.

Next subject: how do we get the 4 conference wins that will put us playing for a BCS bowl?

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Bohn is stuck with keeping Hawk at least through the 2010 season. Not that I think he wants to, but with the budget cuts at the state level primarily impacting higher ed, even if they have the money to buy out Hawk (which I believe they do), it would be a politically unwise move to do that at this juncture. How would it look to be paying $3MM to fire a coach when the school is scrapping for every penny of funding it can find? Bohn answers to DiStephano & Benson, and if they're the ones telling him that he has to keep Hawkins, then he won't be fired for keeping him.

Absolutely. It's not just the economy, Barnett's buyout is poisoning the well also. Paying $6 million in 4 years to get rid of football coaches is ugly and a complete waste, even in good times. The coach hired after Barnett was bought out was going to get 5 years, no matter what.

I agree with the posters who say that next season will have to be BIG to retain Hawk--the Buffs will have to win the North at the very least.

It's a fact which is why I'm trying to be as positive as I can with the current situation. The budget just got whacked yesterday by another almost $200M. Whether it is sound business or not, politically, there is no chance of a change that requires a buyout.

Next subject: how do we get the 4 conference wins that will put us playing for a BCS bowl?

Fire Hawk and hire Embree and EB to run the show for cheap. If they do well, then we give them a new contract.

Well, that makes no sense, Tim. Don't you support the baskeball team, girls, err, ladies soccer, and volleyball by SUPPORTING the football team?

No but it does support the athletic department so it sucks but if we want to do this thing correctly, all financial support needs to be pulled from anything athletics.

We can bitch and moan all day long but until you put your money where your mouth is, they have no reason to change course. As long as people pay to see this crap, it is cheaper for them to lose. Until firing Hawk is cheaper because of lost revenue in sales/donations, nothing will happen.

No but it does support the athletic department so it sucks but if we want to do this thing correctly, all financial support needs to be pulled from anything athletics.

We can bitch and moan all day long but until you put your money where your mouth is, they have no reason to change course. As long as people pay to see this crap, it is cheaper for them to lose. Until firing Hawk is cheaper because of lost revenue in sales/donations, nothing will happen.

Your logic is flawed. They are in a spot because they can't fire their coach due to economic factors. So you're going to support making those economic factors worse? All that does is ensure that we're stuck with the asshole even longer.

This sounds like a case of cutting off your nose to spit your face.

If the fans don't show then the players might start bailing faster than usual. Recruiting will go down and then the next coach will have a harder time. I strongly doubt that Bohn will resign Hawk if next year is like this year.

Plus it might be hard to convince a coach to come when only 40,000 fans or less are at the games.

It is unfortunate but we might have one more season of subpar football to deal with.

Your logic is flawed. They are in a spot because they can't fire their coach due to economic factors. So you're going to support making those economic factors worse? All that does is ensure that we're stuck with the asshole even longer.

so if they have an empty stadium not bringing in any money, they will keep with him instead of firing him and doing their job by finding a winner that can bring in more money than what they will get with Hawk and his buyout?

Last edited:
so if they have an empty stadium not bringing in any money, they will keep with him instead of firing him and doing their job by finding a winner that can bring in more money than what they will get with Hawk and his buyout?

If the team sucks, Hawk is gone after next year regardless of whether there are 40,000 people in the stands or 50,000 people in the stands. I'd rather we have the 50,000 to keep the AD in better financial shape.

The more money you contribute, the more money Bohn has to hire a good coach!

Exactly.

I honestly think Bohn's hands are tied right now, but that he'd make a change if he could. Once he's able to make the change, he needs to have all the resources possible so that he can bring in the best guy.

So if the athletic department is selling out each game, even if they lose each game, what is their motivation to fire Hawk at the end of next year? It is clear that they are running this thing as a business and that is that.

You guys and the AD are settling for mediocrity, hell, we are so bad we aren't even mediocre and you guys are OK with it.

So if the athletic department is selling out each game, even if they lose each game, what is their motivation to fire Hawk at the end of next year? It is clear that they are running this thing as a business and that is that.

You guys and the AD are settling for mediocrity, hell, we are so bad we aren't even mediocre and you guys are OK with it.

Please find me the post where I said I was "ok with it". You're venting. Which is fine, but you're venting just the same. You're not looking at this in a rational manner.

dunno. Nebraska has fired 2 coaches in the last decade and they have 300 consecutive sellouts. More money means more freedom to get rid of ****ty coaches.

dunno. Nebraska has fired 2 coaches in the last decade and they have 300 consecutive sellouts. More money means more freedom to get rid of ****ty coaches.

One could argue that they have sellouts because they fire the guy who isn't getting the job done... Chicken or the egg I guess. I know where I stand so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If it is really about the money, just tell Hawk that he will keep getting paid, but he is not to show up on gameday or practices. Have him coach club sports or something. Maybe just make him the PR guy for the team and let an assistant coach. Just give us a new direction.

One could argue that they have sellouts because they fire the guy who isn't getting the job done... Chicken or the egg I guess. I know where I stand so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

If it is really about the money, just tell Hawk that he will keep getting paid, but he is not to show up on gameday or practices. Have him coach club sports or something. Maybe just make him the PR guy for the team and let an assistant coach. Just give us a new direction.

LOL @ club sports! Or dare we say...

i dont give a flying **** if you were right... lick my sweaty hairy nut sack you dumb mother ****er

Back