What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Don't shed a tear for Dan Hawkins after he's fired.

Friday is the right day to make the move, when you have 15 days between games to let the walls fall down, and then let the dust settle. Doing it today, with a short week could be a mess.

But at the same time, perhaps you give him until Saturday following Nebraska. Who knows.

Although it is only 8 days, I think Friday after the OSU loss will be right. Make an interim move for the Nub game and get started fast on the HC search while you still have a little head start.

Of course if they somehow miraculously win at OSU, he will get another week.

he's not going to win at oSu.. It's a road and a night game, that a double wammy for Hack.

Last edited:
he's not going to win a oSu.. It's a road and a night game, that a double wammy for Hack.

I expect to lose and it won't bother me.

The scenario I hope for (expect even?) is that we lose at OSU, Bohn announces the next day that Hawkins will not be back in 2010, and the team rallies to send him and the seniors off with a win against Nebraska.

The scenario I hope for (expect even?) is that we lose at OSU, Bohn announces the next day that Hawkins will not be back in 2010, and the team rallies to send him and the seniors off with a win against Nebraska.

This.

A&M basically did this a couple years ago when they fired Fran. He went into the last regular season game against Texas knowing he would not be back and ended up going out with a win over a rival.

Can you imagine Hawkins gets fired Friday, completely gone. Team comes out against nebraska in a sea of powder blue and beats nebraska by 30+. Kind of like WVU did to OU in the fiesta bowl.

Do not agree with the perception that Hawkins is a great recruiter. He had one good class and none of the players that were responsible for making it a highly rated class have contributed yet. Other than that, recruiting has been mediocre at absolute best.

So no, Dan Hawkins is not a "great" or even "good" recruiter. He is average.

:yeahthat:

The people around here who believe that coaching is our only problem are in for a rude awakening with the next coach..

This roster is not filled with talent. It has some pieces here and there, but overall it is at the bottom of the Big 12 talent wise.

:nod:

Spot on. :thumbsup:

And I just decided to play around on Thesaurus.com and found out that "buff" is a synonym for "authority" or "expert". :thumbsup:

I guess that makes you a BuffBuff, or at least, BuffRecruitingBuff. :smile:

Do not agree with the perception that Hawkins is a great recruiter. He had one good class and none of the players that were responsible for making it a highly rated class have contributed yet. Other than that, recruiting has been mediocre at absolute best.

So no, Dan Hawkins is not a "great" or even "good" recruiter. He is average.

... or are even here, as the two leaders of the class were Scott and Katoa, and 3 stars Blackmon and Wallace also left from that class. We have many contributors from that class, but it held so much more promise than it delivered. It's kind of emblematic of the Hawkins era.

The people around here who believe that coaching is our only problem are in for a rude awakening with the next coach..

This roster is not filled with talent. It has some pieces here and there, but overall it is at the bottom of the Big 12 talent wise.
Disagree....our talent is middle-of-the-pack for the Big 12. Danny has pushed us to the bottom. A decent coach would have us bowl-eligible.

Kasa, Polk, Major, Miller, Simas, Givens, Mohler & Obi were all 4* or better. There's probably some I'm forgetting, too. Talent isn't the issue on this team. Preparation and discipline are the issues.

Kasa, Polk, Major, Miller, Simas, Givens, Mohler & Obi were all 4* or better. There's probably some I'm forgetting, too. Talent isn't the issue on this team. Preparation and discipline are the issues.
Correct....get Danny out, and get the train back on the tracks.....the foundation is there.

Hawkins is a grown man.I feel bad for Cody. From what I've seen, Cody has always handled himself extremely well in what must be a very uncomfortable situation. It will be interesting to see what he does after his dad is terminated.

I always wondered why Dick Tharpe never considered CU for his son, especially considering CU never had any depth at qb. Perhaps he knew at the time what potential for disaster it had for his kid (imagine that mess had Taylor gone to CU).

wrong....this team has talent all over the place, and when we get a coach that knows how to coach that talent this will be a very good team...

There are certainly some holes on the roster. But the team is not devoid of talent, either.

I think the schedule is such that next year will be difficult regardless of who the coach is.

If we had beaten the teams we should have this year (games we had a talent advantage), we would have wins over CSU, Toledo, KSU, Mizzou and ISU. We'd be 8-2 right now. Thinking about it that way (what could have been with a well-coached team), I don't think it's unreasonable to believe we could have a hell of a season next year.

There are certainly some holes on the roster. But the team is not devoid of talent, either.

I think the schedule is such that next year will be difficult regardless of who the coach is.

I think there's a lot more holes than people around here want to admit.

I can't think of one area on the team where I would say, bam, we are really deep at that position..

I can't think of one player on the offensive side of the ball that says, wow, there's an All-Big 12 type player.. Maybe Simas eventually but not yet.. Speedy is a decent back, but not an elite one.. Maybe Hansen will grow into the position and become a decent QB. Its all possibilities but its a lot of "what ifs".. I don't see a lot of all-Big 12 givens(not the player) on the team..

The defense is just average talent wise.. Okay we have a few good possible players here and there, but its no different than the vast majority of teams.

From what I've seen an improved coaching staff makes this a .500,7-5 type team.. We still have a ways to go if we are to become a consistent big time winner..

Recruiting needs to picked up big time by the new staff.

I can't think of one area on the team where I would say, bam, we are really deep at that position..

I can't think of one player on the offensive side of the ball that says, wow, there's an All-Big 12 type player.. Maybe Simas eventually but not yet.. Speedy is a decent back, but not an elite one.. Maybe Hansen will grow into the position and become a decent QB. Its all possibilities but its a lot of "what ifs".. I don't see a lot of all-Big 12 givens(not the player) on the team..

The defense is just average talent wise.. Okay we have a few good possible players here and there, but its no different than the vast majority of teams.

From what I've seen an improved coaching staff makes this a .500,7-5 type team.. We still have a ways to go if we are to become a consistent big time winner..

I'm not even thinking about becoming a "consistent big time winner" because I don't think CU is in that category anymore.

I'm just talking about a winning season, which is what I think the standard is at Colorado now.

Like I said...middle of the Big 12 pack.....new coach, and sky is the limit.

I don't know if I expect CU to be above average at any point in the foreseeable future. We are looking at another 4-5 year rebuilding project with a new coach.

I don't think the OL is going to magically learn how to block just because they have a different coach.

Reality is, the Hawkins hire set this program back several years. This team is far away from winning 8+ games. Very far.

I don't know if I expect CU to be above average at any point in the foreseeable future. We are looking at another 4-5 year rebuilding project with a new coach.

I don't think the OL is going to magically learn how to block just because they have a different coach.

Reality is, the Hawkins hire set this program back several years. This team is far away from winning 8+ games. Very far.

Don't be so sure. Pelini came into a horrible defensive situation at Nebraska, with overall and especially LB depth considered to be at an all time low. He had a solid offense to lean on, but really has transformed them into if not the most talented D in the conference, definitely the most sound. I think there are a lot of good pieces on this team that just need the right coaching and CU can enjoy pretty solid success.

Can you imagine Hawkins gets fired Friday, completely gone. Team comes out against nebraska in a sea of powder blue and beats nebraska by 30+. Kind of like WVU did to OU in the fiesta bowl.

Anybody who shows up in powder blue under that scenario completely missed the point.... :huh:

I understand what you are saying but there a few areas that I think we have great depth of talent next season.

One of which is WR.

Scotty McKnight and Andre Simmons will be seniors.
Transfer Toney Clemons will be a junior along with Markques Simas, Brian Lockridge, Jason Espinoza, and possibly Kendrick Celestine
Will Jefferson will be a sophomore.
Redshirt Freshmen Terdema Ussery and Jarrod Darden round out a fairly talented and deep group.

That is 7 players that were either highly recruited/ranked or proven players like McKnight, at WR that hopefully a new staff can get that talent to show up on the field.

We certainly have holes but our 2-deep for 2010 isn't horrible for a new staff to start with.

Anybody who shows up in powder blue under that scenario completely missed the point.... :huh:

:yeahthat: Black and gold are the only colors to wear against *ebraskunt. There will be too much red in the stadium to begin with, we don't need to be adding another color into the mix.

:yeahthat: Black and gold are the only colors to wear against *ebraskunt. There will be too much red in the stadium to begin with, we don't need to be adding another color into the mix.
agreed. If hawk is still coach, I MIGHT wear a blue hat.

All true, but the north sucks such donkey balls that a decent coach should be able to take what we have and win that.

Also, if Cody stays next year, has to a front runner for the Buffalo Heart Award, yes?

Back