What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Drive For 105

I just think that Rick George is one of those guys who has a vision and a plan to go after it without getting caught up in a bunch of "risk analysis" stuff. Like, "We could break ground on our facilities, but what if the donations don't come through?" kind of stuff. What he is doing is extraordinary, so, maybe, ripping Bohn for being "ordinary" isn't probably all that fair.

:lol:

I just think that Rick George is one of those guys who has a vision and a plan to go after it without getting caught up in a bunch of "risk analysis" stuff. Like, "We could break ground on our facilities, but what if the donations don't come through?" kind of stuff. What he is doing is extraordinary, so, maybe, ripping Bohn for being "ordinary" isn't probably all that fair.

You only say this because Brad came up with the $50 Mil for the IPF. Now if only Liver would clean his couch cushions we would finish the drive for 105.

And don't forget Embree. That guy was unjustifiably blamed for poor coaching. Right?

What is he doing differently?

Hired two years ago today. Consistent, relentless improvement since then.

It is baffling that he is able to locate this steady stream of significant money.
Was the administration that strongly against Bohn, or was Bohn just not focused on trying?

His success is really amazing.

Bohn had no plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bohn had no results. Rick George has the donations flowing because there are real, tangible results that you can see and touch. Construction of the Champions Center and IPF isn't just something on paper that was drawn up circa 1995 by his predecessor's predecessor. He's getting it all done, and getting it done in a big hurry. Much easier to give your $$$ to support that than it is to throw it into the previous long dark tunnel of maybe-someday.

Actually, you know what's even MORE maddening? Remember Brad's little scuffle with DiStefano?

To summarize:
Brad: Hey, Phil, when are we going to get that IPF built?
Phil: You got $50 Million?

I'm beginning to think that was the long and short of our fundraising efforts at the time.

A little over a year ago I was at Sacky's Rotary club to hear Rick George speak. The very first words out of George's mouth was that he and his wife had spent the previous evening with Lila Stewart at a fund raiser for the Longmont museum and that they (George and his wife) had made a donation for that effort. (Lila donated the majority of the funds for the museum project). A few months later it was announced that Lila had contributed several million dollars to George's construction project.

Fund raising is a dance and George knows how to lead.

It is baffling that he is able to locate this steady stream of significant money.
Was the administration that strongly against Bohn, or was Bohn just not focused on trying?

His success is really amazing.

bohn was too nice to mid money guys,

Up $5.5 million in 30 days ... Endowment goal of $20 million already reached, with $23.08 million the new total (almost all of the $5 million in new money going to the endowment side - capital fund up $700,000) ...

Up $5.5 million in 30 days ... Endowment goal of $20 million already reached, with $23.08 million the new total (almost all of the $5 million in new money going to the endowment side - capital fund up $700,000) ...

Thanks for the update Montana, that endowment is so key to long-term department funding.

Going forward, $20MM isn't going to cut it for an endowment. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have it, but at 4% per year, that's only $800,000. For an athletic department with a $70MM annual budget, that is a drop in the bucket.

Going forward, $20MM isn't going to cut it for an endowment. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have it, but at 4% per year, that's only $800,000. For an athletic department with a $70MM annual budget, that is a drop in the bucket.
debbie-downer.jpg

Great news that fundraising is still going well. When RG goes on the road, he comes back with money. Raising that endowment number is so important. It's the big piece for fast-tracking Phase II of Folsom renovation (Balch, Press Box, West Side, etc.).

Does anyone know if Solich was heavily involved with this project or did he sit it out after the Bohn dismissal?

More important, IMO, than the drive for 105 number is the donor culture RG is cultivating. Has been a missing piece for a long long time.

More important, IMO, than the drive for 105 number is the donor culture RG is cultivating. Has been a missing piece for a long long time.

If he and his co-workers can raise this amount of money now imagine what they can do when the football team is doing well.

The fact we are even talking about an endowment is a huge step.

For reference, latest numbers from Stanford (2013) have their athletics endowment between 450-500 million with a 5.5% annual return. :eek:

For reference, latest numbers from Stanford (2013) have their athletics endowment between 450-500 million with a 5.5% annual return. :eek:

It's crazy the resources they have there. Been doing it like an Ivy for a long time, getting every sport and coaching position endowed. Gold standard and total outlier on this stuff.

I could see RG pushing the CU endowment over the $100MM mark at some point, though.

Back