What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Drive For 105

I was in Grand Junction for business last week. On Friday, RG and PD happened to be at the same hotel for some sort of luncheon and you could tell all the people there were $$$$. Must've been a pretty successful afternoon!

So, how much did you give Wasian?

They've already tapped me out for the year. If he used his spiel on me, I probably could've been sweet talked into giving a little more but RG probably didn't think the creeper staring through the doorway was worth the time.

Going forward, $20MM isn't going to cut it for an endowment. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they have it, but at 4% per year, that's only $800,000. For an athletic department with a $70MM annual budget, that is a drop in the bucket.

Agreed but as noted by others that is a giat step in the right direction for us 50mm should be the next goal for the endowment.

Was there an endowment prior to the campaign, or did we start a 0?

I remember a few years ago a widow leaving about $5 million to the AD for athletic scholarships. Was that money put into a scholarship endowment, or is it a free standing account that is funding scholarship?

Was there an endowment prior to the campaign, or did we start a 0?

I remember a few years ago a widow leaving about $5 million to the AD for athletic scholarships. Was that money put into a scholarship endowment, or is it a free standing account that is funding scholarship?

I think I remember reading "under $10MM" when RG showed up. Basically, it's still low but it had been an absolute joke & embarrassment.

The fact we are even talking about an endowment is a huge step.

For reference, latest numbers from Stanford (2013) have their athletics endowment between 450-500 million with a 5.5% annual return. :eek:

Agreed but as noted by others that is a giat step in the right direction for us 50mm should be the next goal for the endowment.

Agreed with all of this. I'm happy that we're at least starting the process. We're really behind on it, though. At this point, it might help a little with the debt service for the new facilities. I'm certain RG has a plan for continuing to grow that endowment. Ultimately, we need to be shooting for that half billion mark, I think.

ESecPN back with their shameless hyping of their favorite conference.

In their playoff standings for tonight they have 1-4 Clemson, LSU, tOSU, Bama.

Excluded a number of P5 unbeatens and used the strength of schedule argument ignoring the pathetic OOC schedule of the SEC to put in a team with a loss.

Stop
ESecPN back with their shameless hyping of their favorite conference.

In their playoff standings for tonight they have 1-4 Clemson, LSU, tOSU, Bama.

Excluded a number of P5 unbeatens and used the strength of schedule argument ignoring the pathetic OOC schedule of the SEC to put in a team with a loss.
Stop apologizing for the Pac 12!

Need to keep that endowment growing. Long term, that's the thing that's really going to help put CU on a solid financial footing. I'm worried that we're behind the curve, but I'm glad we're making the effort. Better late than never.

Welcome to modern sports marketing. Kudos to RG for thinking of all kinds of avenues that make boosters want to boost.

Plus it sends a good signal to the scholarship athletes that might eventually turn them into donors and benefactors once they hit the real world.

Kind of cool I guess, although if I shelled out $3k for a plaque with my name on it, I'd want it somewhere I could actually see it.

Welcome to modern sports marketing. Kudos to RG for thinking of all kinds of avenues that make boosters want to boost.

Plus it sends a good signal to the scholarship athletes that might eventually turn them into donors and benefactors once they hit the real world.

Kind of cool I guess, although if I shelled out $3k for a plaque with my name on it, I'd want it somewhere I could actually see it.
You both think this is cool? This isn't "modern sports marketing", Skid. Show me another Pac 12 program that has cluttered up their Student-Athlete's lockers with random names of donors. This idea sounds like nothing more than a program in DESPERATE need of money, exploring every last option to raise the funds, even if it means cheapening up the very thing they spent said funds on. I understand and completely applaud the bricks idea, but can't get behind this one. Seems very tacky to me.

You both think this is cool? This isn't "modern sports marketing", Skid. Show me another Pac 12 program that has cluttered up their Student-Athlete's lockers with random names of donors. This idea sounds like nothing more than a program in DESPERATE need of money, exploring every last option to raise the funds, even if it means cheapening up the very thing they spent said funds on. I understand and completely applaud the bricks idea, but can't get behind this one. Seems very tacky to me.

Maybe not on the lockers, but...

upload_2015-12-8_15-54-42.png

Stanford does this for every coaching position.

Also:
Alabama: http://www.alabamaaclub.com/uploadedFiles/File/news_Document_1421861810.pdf
Notre Dame: https://supporting.nd.edu/leadership-giving/athletics-advancement/notre-dame-locker-room-fund/
Tennessee: http://www.knoxnews.com/story-hold/plaques-in-locker-room-pay-tribute-to-many

I could keep going...

Last edited:
Penn State and Alabama are two of the DESPERATE programs that have similar locker naming programs.

EDIT: Didn't see that Shldr2Shldr beat me to it. In either event, this seems to be a very common fundraising tool.

phil-knight-oregon-ducks-locker.jpg

Phil Knight's name is all over the Oregon lockerroom.

Back