What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Drive For 105

Look at the edit.
Both ND and Tennessee's are much more expensive and only allow names of former players/coaches to be engraved above the lockers. They also have limited space available. CU's idea is for relatively cheap compared to those three, and consists of allowing the DONOR'S name to be inscribed. There's a big difference.

Both ND and Tennessee's are much more expensive and only allow names of former players/coaches to be engraved above the lockers. They also have limited space available. CU's idea is for relatively cheap compared to those three, and consists of allowing the DONOR'S name to be inscribed. There's a big difference.

This program is not unique.

Pitt has one. Penn State has one. Wisconsin has one. ****ing School of Mines has one.

CU already has a program where for ~10k a year you can sponsor a specific players scholarship, this likely will be an add-on for some of the folks involved in that program.

Specific to your Stanford question those "chiars" are endowed by donors who get their names on them in return for the contribution. Luck gave furd $$$ for the one with his name attached to it. Our AD has had such turn-over and done such a poor job connecting with alumni athletes and donors historically that this is going to take some groundwork for us, but a Nate Solder chair of S&C or Jeremy Bloom Chair of ST coordination would be cool.

No big deal, but I hope they get a bunch of people to go for this - it would be strange years from now to have just a handful of names on random lockers.

phil-knight-oregon-ducks-locker.jpg

Phil Knight's name is all over the Oregon lockerroom.
If Stan Kroenke wants to start throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at CU, I would welcome the brand "KSE" stamped all over the locker room. $3,000 for "Darth Snow" to be plastered on a player's locker is slightly different.

This program is not unique.

Pitt has one. Penn State has one. Wisconsin has one. ****ing School of Mines has one.
As I pointed out, other programs seemingly make it much more exclusive and only include former player/coaches names. Yes, I see that Penn State allows for the donor's name. The Tennessee or ND model sounds great to me; this one, not so much. I guess when you need the funds, you need the funds.

If Stan Kroenke wants to start throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at CU, I would welcome the brand "KSE" stamped all over the locker room. $3,000 for "Darth Snow" to be plastered on a player's locker is slightly different.

Disagree. CU's inability to land George Solich as a billionaire donor is an indication that CU did (does) not have a culture where big donors are welcome to call the shots in exchange for a big donation.

Hundreds of relatively small donors are the lifeblood of CU's charitable giving. For the program to meet its drive for 105, any and all avenues that encourage private donations must not be taken off the table.

Do you seriously think the players are going to give a **** about someone's name being on their locker? This is bitching just to bitch. Good call by RG on this one.

Do you seriously think the players are going to give a **** about someone's name being on their locker? This is bitching just to bitch. Good call by RG on this one.
Yes. I think it is a tacky look to have random name plaques on individual lockers.

I was told about the locker program back in July. They didn't have any details at the time, but it sounded like a cool opportunity. I was a little disappointed to see the cost though and it really sounds like they are gearing it to former players. Even with the 3 year payment plan, that is a lot of scratch to lay out on top of the Buff Club contribution and tickets.

Seriously, are there people that really think hear kids are going to have some 35 year old's name on their locker? I doubt they even notice it.

Yes. I think it is a tacky look to have random name plaques on individual lockers.

Specifically as it relates to basketball i know they dont care, if names = new gear they are all for it. Goose is right you are bitching to bitch.

Seriously, are there people that really think hear kids are going to have some 35 year old's name on their locker? I doubt they even notice it.

They don't currently complain much about having to spend time with the families endowing their scholarships, they understand its part of the game. Some of the younger guys grumble a little but as they mature in the program they get it.

Have we abandoned the Folsom naming idea for now? I haven't heard much about it in a while, maybe I missed it.

Why do people think just because a billionaire is around Denver he is interested in donating to CU Athletics? Always baffled me. Kroenke played basketball for Missouri, does not even live in Denver - he lives in Columbia, Missouri. Other Denver notables - Charlie Ergen lives in Littleton and is a rabid Tennessee fan, Phil Anschutz is a big KU fan and does donate a lot of money to CU via the Medical Center but is not interested too much in CU athletics.

Why do people think just because a billionaire is around Denver he is interested in donating to CU Athletics? Always baffled me. Kroenke played basketball for Missouri, does not even live in Denver - he lives in Columbia, Missouri. Other Denver notables - Charlie Ergen lives in Littleton and is a rabid Tennessee fan, Phil Anschutz is a big KU fan and does donate a lot of money to CU via the Medical Center but is not interested too much in CU athletics.
Calm down and realize the context. It was a hypothetical used as a follow up on Skid's Phil Knight post.

It shows me how far behind CU had fallen under previous "leadership" that so many of these commonplace things seem so unusual to the fan base.

It occurred to me that we hit the fundraising goal of $25MM for the endowment. While that's great and all, it's a drop in the bucket for the actual operating costs of the athletic department. Assuming a 4% return and zero principal runoff, that's only $1MM/year. The endowment needs to be 20-30x bigger for it to have a lasting impact on the sustainability of the athletic department.
That said, I'm glad they started. It needed to happen.

It occurred to me that we hit the fundraising goal of $25MM for the endowment. While that's great and all, it's a drop in the bucket for the actual operating costs of the athletic department. Assuming a 4% return and zero principal runoff, that's only $1MM/year. The endowment needs to be 20-30x bigger for it to have a lasting impact on the sustainability of the athletic department.

Have to start somewhere. Shows it can be done here, which was seen as impossible previously. AD has to continue to develop that donor culture though. Can't be satisfied.

Recent email from the AD said they've reached 95 M of the 105. This was announced at the black tie event in February thrown for the big doners.

Have to start somewhere. Shows it can be done here, which was seen as impossible previously. AD has to continue to develop that donor culture though. Can't be satisfied.
The problem we face is that we are competing with schools that set these things up 50 years ago. I've heard, although never bother to verify, that USC's football program is 100% endowed. That means they turn a profit from the very first ticket sold.
So, yes it's good that we are finally getting the ball rolling. But damn, we are way behind the 8-ball.

The problem we face is that we are competing with schools that set these things up 50 years ago. I've heard, although never bother to verify, that USC's football program is 100% endowed. That means they turn a profit from the very first ticket sold.
So, yes it's good that we are finally getting the ball rolling. But damn, we are way behind the 8-ball.

Schools like USC and Stanford are outliers I would think. The entire school is privately funded so it makes sense that their AD would be as well. That being said, you are right, we are behind the 8-ball and RG needs to keep his foot on the gas.

A solid endowment for an AD is in the neighborhood of $750mm?

That wouldn't find the entire department, but it would put the department in a position where it would never have to worry about the cost of firing a coach.

Back