What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Duck should be in trouble.

If the NCAA investigated every school that paid for recruiting services, their job would never end. I'm sure CU pays somebody for film on recruits, unless they get it free, and something for nothing doesn't exist except in fairy tales.

This looks to be the crux of the problem for Oregon, if they were paying for film, for scouting, for information, they would be okay. In this case it looks like they paid for access to recruits. They had someone accepting money from them telling recruits that they should go to school at Oregon and this become the issue.

The worst part of all this for Oregon is not that they cheated but that the cheated in such a clumsy manner. The amount of money that Oregon spent and the influence they got for it sounds minescule compared to some of the stuff that has come out of the SEC in the past. I am certain that $25,000 is a petty cash expenditure for some schools. The difference is that they do it in a way that doesn't draw attention, is almost impossible to trace, and leaves them with a high degree of deniability if it ever does come out. Instead of being able to blame a "rouge booster" the Oregon stuff comes back to athletic department funds and approvals.

This looks to be the crux of the problem for Oregon, if they were paying for film, for scouting, for information, they would be okay. In this case it looks like they paid for access to recruits. They had someone accepting money from them telling recruits that they should go to school at Oregon and this become the issue.

The worst part of all this for Oregon is not that they cheated but that the cheated in such a clumsy manner. The amount of money that Oregon spent and the influence they got for it sounds minescule compared to some of the stuff that has come out of the SEC in the past. I am certain that $25,000 is a petty cash expenditure for some schools. The difference is that they do it in a way that doesn't draw attention, is almost impossible to trace, and leaves them with a high degree of deniability if it ever does come out. Instead of being able to blame a "rouge booster" the Oregon stuff comes back to athletic department funds and approvals.

Cal paid $5k to Lyles. No commits.

LSU paid $5k to Lyles. No commits.

Oregon paid $25k and reneged on another $25k for access to LMJ and Seastrunk, who committed. I'm sure it's all coincidence...

Cal paid $5k to Lyles. No commits.

LSU paid $5k to Lyles. No commits.

Oregon paid $25k and reneged on another $25k for access to LMJ and Seastrunk, who committed. I'm sure it's all coincidence...

Seastrunk's momma really wanted him to go to LSU. Maybe the other $$$ was reserved for her bank account.

If the NCAA investigated every school that paid for recruiting services, their job would never end. I'm sure CU pays somebody for film on recruits, unless they get it free, and something for nothing doesn't exist except in fairy tales. $25,000 seems way too high for just film.

It will be interesting to see if Cal and LSU paid $5,000 in 2010 for film of 2009 recruits.

It will be interesting to see if Cal and LSU paid $5,000 in 2010 for film of 2009 recruits.

I hope Cal vacates their wins last season so when they come to Boulder we can talk lots of s**t about how we beat their ass last year.

Or because Lyles knew this and found a way for grandma to sign the LOI in place of momma allowing him to play for Oregon...

Agreed: Lyles needed to maneuver around the fact that Seastrunk's momma' wanted him to go to LSU by having his grandparents sign off (brilliant move, BTW, as was having LaMichael James finish HS in AR). LSU and Cal are not clean in this one. IMHO, the reason why they "only" paid Lyles $5K instead of the $25K the Ducks paid is because Lyles didn't deliver LSU and Cal Seastrunk. He only delivered face time with the kid who ultimately opted for the U of O.

Furthermore, I believe this was the crux of the Ducks screw-up RE: Lyles. He had secured "down" payments for the visits and then the bigger $$$ upon Seastrunk's verbal commitment. Unfortunately, the Ducks thought he'd go away since they'd already paid him $25K even though they'd promised him $50K.

Cal is on its way down. Not just this but it can not keep Coaches. Remember when Tedford was QB guru number one? Has not had a QB worth a damn since Aaron Rogers.One of his former Coaches told me his downfall started when he let a Marshawn Lynch run amuck, one set of rules for him, another set for everyone else. Cal is trash talk central now.
If Oregon takes a big hit and USC still down who is go[ng to recruit San Quentin and Folsom? I guess some SEC team,yuk yuk. Wait I forgot about VA Tech 'is a Hokie a kind of Pit Bull?

Last edited:
Cal is on its way down. Not just this but it can not keep Coaches. Remember when Tedford was QB guru number one? Has not had a QB worth a damn since Aaron Rogers.One of his former Coaches told me his downfall started when he let a Marshawn Lynch run amuck, one set of rules for him, another set for everyone else. Cal is trash talk central now.
If Oregon takes a big hit and USC still down who is go[ng to recruit San Quentin and Folsom? I guess some SEC team,yuk yuk. Wait I forgot about VA Tech 'is a Hokie a kind of Pit Bull?

Lets not throw around too much mud...a lot of the glory years under Mac were built by having a lot of those type of guys on the team, which was one of the reasons there was so much friction between Mac and the administration after Gee left.

Interesting...

"LSU received 32 DVDs of game and player highlight film for the $6,000 it paid Houston-based talent scout Willie Lyles for his "2010 JUCO perState Package," again raising the question of what Oregon received for its $25,000 payment to Lyles.

LSU released copies of the DVDs to The Oregonian on Thursday in response to a request under open-records law. As promised in Lyles' invoice, the videos included film of California and Kansas junior college players from the 2010-11 recruiting year.

LSU's transaction contrasts with Oregon's exchange with Lyles, in which the Ducks paid him $25,000 in 2010 for game and highlight film from 22 states but could not locate any cache of video from Lyles when asked for it by media outlets."

There's gunna be a major backlash on athletic scholarships at UC schools shortly. Tuition has just increased ~10% again this year, resulting in a doubling in less than a decade and folks are pissed. Misguided or not, NCAA athletes are gunna be a secondary target after administrators' wages.

Back