What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dustin Thomas - holy ****!

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I can't find any articles on this, but if true...

BuffTE41 post on the Rivals board:

Dustin Thomas

Played in a pro-am game in Denver yesterday and scored 39 points. He played solid defense and had 8 rebounds. He is going to be a 6'8" scoring machine.

Beau Gamble likes what he sees.

[tweet]347155409951404032[/tweet]

[tweet]347187761314422784[/tweet]

Wow. We desperately need more scoring options. If we have a 6'8" player that can score, it is going to make things a lot easier for guys like Scott and Spencer.

http://www.coloradoproam.com/

Checking out the rosters is pretty funny. Team Buffstape includes Thomas and George King along with XT, Gamble, Webb, and Dufault and some guys from Colorado Mesa/Boise. Sabatino is listed as playing on another team in the league. The Billups brothers and Cope are on another and a different team features Blair Wilson and THE Scott Senger. Awesome.

Looks by the rosters that the team they beat was basically CCU players (D2) with one SDSU guy thrown in. Some of the other rosters have some decent D1 type players so it will be interesting to see how he does against better competition.

Looks by the rosters that the team they beat was basically CCU players (D2) with one SDSU guy thrown in. Some of the other rosters have some decent D1 type players so it will be interesting to see how he does against better competition.

For example, tomorrow at 6:30 they're playing Metro. That should be fun.

http://www.coloradoproam.com/

I think team Billups takes this with Rodney, Chauncey and Cope. A lot of former Buffs on these rosters eg) Blair Wilson and Chen.

This should be a good warm-up for Dustin and George.

Team Blue Collar can suck it.

We need someone to go check out the game on June 25th vs. Billups, that should be a good measuring stick for King/Thomas with the talent on Billups team.

People still thinking he's going to redshirt?

'Nik made a phenomenal point about Thomas in a conversation - he gives us the spread 4 that Dufault was able to provide for the team when we won the Pac-12 title. Having a 4 who can stretch the defense like that will only open up the court for Jelly down low.

'Nik made a phenomenal point about Thomas in a conversation - he gives us the spread 4 that Dufault was able to provide for the team when we won the Pac-12 title. Having a 4 who can stretch the defense like that will only open up the court for Jelly down low.

Giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity giggity!!!

Looks like the CCU team had actually given team Billups a run for their money on 6/11, with Billups winning 61-59.

Who all is on the Billups team? I can't get the rosters to load for some reason.

Defense is shunned in these games. Still, as Gamble stated, scoring 26 of your own team's 41 with guys on your team like Dufault, X...... Holy ****.

Agreed. We need Dustin not only because of his talent but because he really fulfills a team need. I think he's the least likely of our 4 incoming true freshman to redshirt.

Driving lanes for Mayor and Ski, too. The way defenses packed the lane against us last year was a major contributing factor in the lower shooting percentages we saw from both those guys this past season. It really hurt Ski's shot selection, efficiency and overall effectiveness. He's not built to go in amongst the trees.

Agreed. This kid is a perfect pick up. Not only is he a Top-150 kid from Texas, he is a Austin Default type Forward. He will be perfect for stretching the D. Plus they said he is a great 3 point shooter.

Are these games open for people to watch. I really would get a kick out of going to see one of these.

I put Thomas in the most likely to redshirt category due to a quote from Boyle that said he'd be unguardable by the time he's a sophomore. My thought was that we might be able to do reasonably well without him in the lineup for one year, and then be a lot better after that. From the reports I'm seeing (here, admittedly) he is playing himself out of a possible redshirt. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I put Thomas in the most likely to redshirt category due to a quote from Boyle that said he'd be unguardable by the time he's a sophomore. My thought was that we might be able to do reasonably well without him in the lineup for one year, and then be a lot better after that. From the reports I'm seeing (here, admittedly) he is playing himself out of a possible redshirt. I couldn't be happier.

Next year is the Mayor's last year. We need to take advantage of that and go full speed ahead. Play EVERYONE who is ready.

I'm glad to see Thomas made an impression, but you know it's the off-season when we've got 20+ posts on how Thomas blew up against a D2 squad at the local YMCA!

I'm glad to see Thomas made an impression, but you know we've turned into a basketball school when we've got 20+ posts on how Thomas blew up against a D2 squad at the local YMCA!

Fify

Next year is the Mayor's last year. We need to take advantage of that and go full speed ahead. Play EVERYONE who is ready.

This. No more redshirts. The kind of players we are recruiting now don't need the year.

This. No more redshirts. The kind of players we are recruiting now don't need the year.

Good teams with players equal in talent to ours always RS a player or two, its just a smart thing to do unless every recruit is a "one-or two and done".

Class balance alone dictates that. CU does not need six "freshmen" all progressing on eligibilty at the same time! And some kids are going to need a year to adjust to academics and just plain physically mature. Jenkins put on 20 lbs. and is still slender, but its muscle and he's practiced with everybody so he'll know how to use it.

Frankly, Hopkins or King were the guys I thought most likely to RS, not Thomas.

Good teams with players equal in talent to ours always RS a player or two, its just a smart thing to do unless every recruit is a "one-or two and done".

Class balance alone dictates that. CU does not need six "freshmen" all progressing on eligibilty at the same time! And some kids are going to need a year to adjust to academics and just plain physically mature. Jenkins put on 20 lbs. and is still slender, but its muscle and he's practiced with everybody so he'll know how to use it.

I disagree with this. I believe that non-injury redshirting has become very rare in good college basketball programs. I don't have time to dig up the numbers on this, so you might have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

I disagree with this. I believe that non-injury redshirting has become very rare in good college basketball programs. I don't have time to dig up the numbers on this, so you might have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

This is an older article, but I'm betting the numbers shown in here are probably more or less in line with current statistics. Out of the top 150 in 2007, only 9 players redshirted, and 4 of them were due to injury. http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=824012

Since redshirting top 150 talents has become so prevalent, lets hear some examples of the big-time talents that redshirted last year. We can start with conference players. Outside of Gordon and Jenkins, who redshirted in the PAC 12?

Also, class balance is overrated in basketball. It's pretty unlikely all 6 would graduate in 2017 anyway, and if we see even 2 of the freshmen leave the program early, a 4 man graduating class is very manageable.

Back