What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

E.Bienemy for HC

Not to mention, if you recruit a hell of a line, and some talented backs from LA, im pretty sure the play call is easy. RUN RUN RUN the ball up in this thin air!

We had that last year. It didn't work out so well. You need a gameplan, and the threat of the long ball. CU had neither of those things last year. It takes a little more than a good line and good backs, but yeah, that is where you have to start.

baggage.

No real experience as an OC. No experience whatsoever running a college offense.

The sad truth of the matter is that the HC at CU has to be the real OC or the real DC. Like Pelini at Nebraska?

Why? Because we can afford only one - at best.

A guy like Peterson runs the offense, we have some money to get a DC guy. Good to go.

EB is no where close to being able to run an offense, never mind a team. He just got promoted from RB coach, which is the ONLY job he's ever done. And it's not clear that his new role is more than symbolic. Not sure yet, if it's got real meat to it, maybe in a few more years.... Look at a guy like McElwain's resume up against EB's. It's not close.

We need a full on search done. We've got a ton more options than some seem to think. Mcilwaine is not a sure fire no or yes unless and until he is approached. EB might be the right guy but I want a well thought out process to occur without anyone predeciding who is best.

We are going to get much more interest in the job than some think. The move to the p12 is a huge help at just the right time.

Whatever bad publicity we would get for EB's baggage would be covered up by the good publicity of us hiring a black coach. He was always great with recruiting and now he has the fact that he has coached AP under his belt, rb's would be on their knees trying to play for him. He has been around alot since he left CU and would definately be able to assemble a hell of a staff around him. I'm All for EB
Good point.

Yes please! Offer him now and let him finish up the season with the Vikes if he wants to. Just get him in here. Question is, who would make up his staff? I assume Embree would be a coordinator? I would love to see Dave Logan on the staff just so the media and local HS crowd would shut up about him. Maybe let him take care of instate recruiting while being a position coach. At the least it would be a great local PR move.

Who else could he bring? Hopefully some experienced OCs and DCs that he can lean on.

I don't think EB is ready. Would I support it? yes, but would be real leary. I am 100% behind McElwain, and I believe he would come here. He is a western guy, and CU is a much more attractive job now that we are going into the Pac than it was before.

You're telling me that no OC in the nation is a top recruiter, because they don't have the time?

Somewhat. I'm saying that when someone is responsible for putting together an entire offensive gameplan and then implementing it every weak, that he doesn't have the time that a position coach, special teams coordinator or even head coach does to be texting and calling guys. It is what it is. If you look at the successful coordinator recruiters, they're generally at a program that grabs a lot of early commitment since the offseason is when the coordinator actually has time to recruit. I guess if CU changed its recruiting philosophy, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But we need to be coming off a winning season to make a philosophy change like that work.

We need a major hire. We need someone who will renew interest in the program. EB is not that guy yet. Mac would be considered a major hire. It doesn't have to be Mac, but we need someone with a track record worthy of a "so-called BCS program".

Not to mention the fire EB would bring going into the PAC 10 next year.

yeah embree would probably be on the staff.. and im sure he could bring some NFL people possibly. everyone loves EB so finding a creative young up and coming staff should be easy for him

Wait, the last two coaches we hired in football already had head coaching jobs before (Barnett and Hackins). Slick and Mac "learned" on the job.

Totally behind EB hire.

I'm not talking about Barnett or Hawkins.

I'm talking about Mark Helfrich (never an offensive coordinator before CU gave him the job) and Eric Keisau (also never an offensive coordinator before CU gave him the job.) Certainly both Eric Bienemy and Jon Embree would also fall into the categories of coaches with no prior experience at calling an offense.

Im not 100% sold on whether he is ready or not. Im 100% sold that he can recruit and hes fiery and competitive. I guess another way to look at it is, Hawk has been here 5 years and that ****er still isnt ready.

I'm not talking about Barnett or Hawkins.

I'm talking about Mark Helfrich (never an offensive coordinator before CU gave him the job) and Eric Keisau (also never an offensive coordinator before CU gave him the job.) Certainly both Eric Bienemy and Jon Embree would also fall into the categories of coaches with no prior experience at calling an offense.

This is spot on! Having good coordinators and assistants is sometimes more important than the HC. A lot of times the HC doesn't hardly do anything! Mac didn't do much, he gave two speeches to the team a week and let the assistants do the rest. Look at Mac's coaching tree, pretty impressive. Unfortunatly we can't give our assistants long term contracts and that is one huge burden here.

This is spot on! Having good coordinators and assistants is sometimes more important than the HC. A lot of times the HC doesn't hardly do anything! Mac didn't do much, he gave two speeches to the team a week and let the assistants do the rest. Look at Mac's coaching tree, pretty impressive. Unfortunatly we can't give our assistants long term contracts and that is one huge burden here.

They didn't get long term contracts when McCartney was in Boulder, either.

Can you name ANY CU coach (in any sport) who was let go because he was on a one-year contract?

They didn't get long term contracts when McCartney was in Boulder, either.

Can you name ANY CU coach (in any sport) who was let go because he was on a one-year contract?

I know I kind of mixed two topics into one post. I am aware of that, I still think it hurts us some that we can't give longer contracts to assistants.

Having never done the job, I think he's probably not qualified to evaluate/oversee coordinators. Mac did not learn on the job at CU. He worked for 5 yrs as DC under Schembechler. Love to have EB back in the fold, but think he needs some coordinator exp before he's ready for HC duty.

Yes please! Offer him now and let him finish up the season with the Vikes if he wants to. Just get him in here. Question is, who would make up his staff? I assume Embree would be a coordinator? I would love to see Dave Logan on the staff just so the media and local HS crowd would shut up about him. Maybe let him take care of instate recruiting while being a position coach. At the least it would be a great local PR move.

Who else could he bring? Hopefully some experienced OCs and DCs that he can lean on.

dave logan is that you... **** DAVE LOGAN

Logan would be a great choice for a WR/TE coach. He'd have to take a major pay cut to do it, and I'm sure he's not willing to. Still, he would be a good addition to the staff, just not as Head Coach.

Logan would be a great choice for a WR/TE coach. He'd have to take a major pay cut to do it, and I'm sure he's not willing to. Still, he would be a good addition to the staff, just not as Head Coach.

:nod:....and if he truly does want to be a head college FB coach one day (maybe at CU), he's going to have to make that sacrifice, and I just don't see him ever doing that

If Logan has made as much money as he thinks he needs, then maybe he'd be willing to do it. I'm not sure that it would be a great career move for him, though. He'd have to really, really want to coach at the collegiate level. He has roughly the same credentials that Mac had before he went to Michigan. So it's not unprecedented.

Why is it that football fans almost always embrace the fiery emotional coach that does a lot of yelling, ranting and such. I have seen nothing to suggest that these types produce any better (or worse) results than coaches with different styles. Mike Singletary is the poster child for this type of overly intense, hard ***** type attitude yet his record sucks. That’s just one guy, but my point is that there are many paths to success when it comes to individual styles and personalities. So I don’t get why so many fans always focus on these traits and list them as huge positives, like the case here with EB. I can think of a long list of coaches with more of the calm cool demeanor who have produced phenomenal results.

This Dave Logan stuff cracks me up. He must sit back in his chair and just laugh. I mean, he's got a CAKE JOB working at Mullen. Does he teach anything, or just coach? Then he spends a couple hours in the afternoon on KOA. Then he does the Broncos play-by-play.

Why on earth would he WANT the CU job?? It would almost certainly be a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT x 100 HARDER job than anything he is doing right now. I would imagine that for the amount of time he spends working now, versus the time he would have to spend as a college coach - and especially if he was only hired for an assistant coach type position -- it would be a fair pay CUT for him to come to CU.

Why on earth would he want that??

One thing about EB, between him playing and coaching, his record against the fuskers is 4-1. although now it's irrelevant because we wont be playing NU anymore.

This Dave Logan stuff cracks me up. He must sit back in his chair and just laugh. I mean, he's got a CAKE JOB working at Mullen. Does he teach anything, or just coach? Then he spends a couple hours in the afternoon on KOA. Then he does the Broncos play-by-play.

Why on earth would he WANT the CU job?? It would almost certainly be a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT x 100 HARDER job than anything he is doing right now. I would imagine that for the amount of time he spends working now, versus the time he would have to spend as a college coach - and especially if he was only hired for an assistant coach type position -- it would be a fair pay CUT for him to come to CU.

Why on earth would he want that??

He has openly admitted on his radio show that the CU HEAD COACHING job IS his dream job. Now as far as an assistant, you might be right.

Has Logan ever said that he wants to be a college coach. His name is always mentioned, but I have never seen any quotes from him on the subject. Is this just the media pumping someone up?

Has Logan ever said that he wants to be a college coach. His name is always mentioned, but I have never seen any quotes from him on the subject. Is this just the media pumping someone up?

Like I just said, I heard him say it on his radio show the last time CU was searching. He specifically said it was his dream to coach CU. I remember that. He said he would take the job if offered in a heart beat.

Back