1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The admins are aware of site instability throughout the day today. We have our crack technical staff checking it out, but it is probably the Russians. If you are having any specific issues, please post them to the Customer Service Support Forums and we will get to them in the next 24 to 48 weeks. Thank You

EA offers anti-trust settlement - would lose exclusive NCAA license for 5 years

Discussion in 'Games' started by dio, Jul 21, 2012.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

This would be so good for the industry - maybe another developer can get a few fresh football games out before EA locks up exclusivity again

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/21/ea-files-27-million-settlement-in-lawsuit-cannot-renew-current/

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This is definitely good news. Sports games are so much better when there is competition.

I miss having the "2k" series around to push EASports.

3. Jens1893

Jens1893 Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Question is if we´re gonna have 2 or zero games when the contract between EA and the NCAA expires.

4. dio

NCAA smaller than Madden - but there is still much money to be earned, so I would expect at least 2 games.

A few companies still have engines around from failed unlicesned football games (All Pro Football, Backbreaker) so there is some potential here.

5. Jens1893

Think of college basketball.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

College baseball could also be done.

7. Jens1893

What I am referring to is that both EA and 2k Sports discontinued their college basketball series in 2007 and there hasn´t been a game since. EA actually did make 2 college baseball games after 2k snapped up the exclusive rights for the 360, but discontinued it due to rapidly declining sales.

I wouldn´t bet on there being a game at all when the contract expires. EA has a game engine etc. ready and in place already whereas a new company would have to design a full game from scratch. That´s a huge risk.

8. dio

Neither for those is football - and I already noted that other companies already have engines developed